Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cooking With Cannabis > Anyone else using Maltodextrin to make cannabis oil, water soluble for edibles?

Thread Title Search
Anyone else using Maltodextrin to make cannabis oil, water soluble for edibles? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2020, 09:48 PM #1
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivor
Anyone else using Maltodextrin to make cannabis oil, water soluble for edibles?

I have been doing some experimenting using maltodextrin to make rosin water soluble and mixing it with different liquids. Been working out really well.

The major difference is that the edibles are absorbed by your body as D9 THC just like smoking (that may not be a 100% correct statement.) But, regardless.... The onset is almost immediate and the buzz lasts only a couple hours or so.

If you are a 'medicator' and you 'medicate' with 'cannabis', this is probably not for you. You want longer lasting pain (or whatever) relief so you're better off with oil based edibles.

I am a stoner and I love to get buzzed on pot. Especially edibles. And, those of you who have read my prior posts know the trouble I have because of tolerance and bioavailability. Well, this method has been the most effective edibles I have EVER done.

YMMV but for what I am looking for, this is pretty close to the top of the line. It's not 100% water soluble (yet) and it is not 100% tasteless (yet) but I am on the path and this stuff is the most effective, most tasteless and easiest method of edibles I have ever encountered.

There are several patents covering the process and materials. One is held by Ed Rosenthal and (I think) Frenchie Cannoli.

If anyone is interested, I'll post some links and some pics of my results so far. Basically, all you need is rosin (or whatever oil concentrate), maltodextrin and a sifter. That's it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	553097 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	553098 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	553099 Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	553100 Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	553101

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:58 PM #2
Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke will become famous soon enoughTincandtoke will become famous soon enough
I use malto-dextrin with infused bacon grease to make bacon powder
Right now I'm working on a simple syrup and experimenting with powders/crystals for mixing into food and beverages
I'm going to try sorbitol, modified food starch, and an acid for my powder
Psychedelic Sam on grass city is working on this, you should contact him
About to start my eleventh attempt on a syrup video, this may be my last attempt
Tincandtoke is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:02 PM #3
Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke will become famous soon enoughTincandtoke will become famous soon enough
Also, I water cure and may try some celite 545 and activated charcoal to filter to eliminate ate as much of the taste as possible
If you ever need someone to run experiments with lmk
Check out https://modernistpantry.com they have a lot of info and videos

Old 11-24-2020, 09:58 PM #4
Gry
One Nation Underground

Gry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivor
Sounds neat as can be, how did you hear of this ?

Old 11-24-2020, 10:37 PM #5
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivorRingodoggie is a survivor
It's actually been around for a while. Ed Rosenthal and (I think ) Frenchey Cannoli have a patent on it. I saw a commercial product called "Ripple". Tasteless, odorless, water soluble and I had to have it. Being in a shithole state, I can't buy so I have to make.

I read a few patents from Traite Biosciences, Ed's and a few others. Traite used fermentation for their commercial products. I have had some success with using cannabis caramels to ferment apple cider. Worked fucking awesome. I currently have 2 other fermentation tests running.

The maltodextrin is, by far the easiest DIY method I have found so far. And, cheapest.

@Tin, I am working with Sam right now over at grass city. We were having conflicts in weights and measures until I determined we were using different types of maltodextrin. Duh. LOL Sam is awesome with this. I think it's his regular poison. Soon to become mine.

I have searched long and hard for a tasteless cannabis that I can mix with my drink of choice. This maltodextrin is not a 100% effective method. But, it has put me on the path.

I also tried using the malt extract that I use to make beer and it worked just as well. So, I am going to mix some cannabis oil with that malt. And, then use that malt to brew the beer. I'll have a batch in the fermenter by tomorrow.

For someone like myself with tolerance issues and a gag reflex for the taste of cannabis, this is a godsend.

This is by far the most tasteless method I have found. Even better than caps because I don't get the canna burps. LOL

EDIT:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2016135621A1/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190085347A1/en

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0046639.html

https://stillwater.life/

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:35 PM #6
dramamine

dramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud ofdramamine has much to be proud of
Awesome thread, Ringo. I'll have to give this a whirl soon.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:51 AM #7
Tincandtoke

Those patent applications are great for info
Sam showed me how to use them and gave me links

Have a peach sorbet that has some background flavor and made a mango puree and will reduce some coconut pineapple juice for the next video/sorbet

Going to turn my attention to filtering to remove the taste
I would like to follow along and run my attempts with Sorbitol
Contacting modernist pantry about some issues I am having with the syrup and carbonation (diluting and mixing all ingredients cold, maybe?) Frustrating, waiting to hear back about gum ratios, made quite a mess with my experiments, instant snot gummies

Hopefully some pics of the syrup going in the blender and some products I have made, just learning all the different task bars on the sites

Old 11-25-2020, 03:07 AM #8
Gry
One Nation Underground

Gry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringodoggie View Post
It's actually been around for a while. Ed Rosenthal and (I think ) Frenchey Cannoli have a patent on it. I saw a commercial product called "Ripple". Tasteless, odorless, water soluble and I had to have it. Being in a shithole state, I can't buy so I have to make.

I read a few patents from Traite Biosciences, Ed's and a few others. Traite used fermentation for their commercial products. I have had some success with using cannabis caramels to ferment apple cider. Worked fucking awesome. I currently have 2 other fermentation tests running.

The maltodextrin is, by far the easiest DIY method I have found so far. And, cheapest.

@Tin, I am working with Sam right now over at grass city. We were having conflicts in weights and measures until I determined we were using different types of maltodextrin. Duh. LOL Sam is awesome with this. I think it's his regular poison. Soon to become mine.

I have searched long and hard for a tasteless cannabis that I can mix with my drink of choice. This maltodextrin is not a 100% effective method. But, it has put me on the path.

I also tried using the malt extract that I use to make beer and it worked just as well. So, I am going to mix some cannabis oil with that malt. And, then use that malt to brew the beer. I'll have a batch in the fermenter by tomorrow.

For someone like myself with tolerance issues and a gag reflex for the taste of cannabis, this is a godsend.

This is by far the most tasteless method I have found. Even better than caps because I don't get the canna burps. LOL

EDIT:

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2016135621A1/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190085347A1/en

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0046639.html

https://stillwater.life/
You may not vote on any more threads today.

Benefits of maltodextrin

Maltodextrin is a cheap and effective food product that can improve the texture, taste, and shelf life of foods.
Many athletes and people who want to gain muscle or body weight use products containing maltodextrin as it is a rapid source of energy.

Last edited by Gry; 11-25-2020 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: did not merit an entire post.
Gry is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:21 PM #9
Im'One

Im'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivorIm'One is a survivor
I gotta try this...with my Tashkenti plants that give plan relief. On
The other hand I have an Original Glue mix with GSC that tastes like coffee.
Im'One is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2020, 06:38 PM #10
pop_rocks

pop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivorpop_rocks is a survivor
if you dont have rosin would this work with dry sift hash/keif?

/brilliant work btw guys!
pop_rocks is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.