What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MGT's Living Soil Bed Thread

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Welcome, this should be fun.

So, have been organic for several years, and have been doing the guano teas every feed. The Organic for Beginners thread really helped me get started there. Def grew the some of the best smoke that way, however teas get old after many years, and I want better, and easier or less maintenance. So started looking into water only living soils and beds. Which brought me to many places, but I recently focused on some stuff from Dank Frank, at Basic Organic Soil Mixes which is what ultimately lead me to creating this thread.

I have two small tents, about 2.5ft by 4.5ft. And we want wall to wall soil beds. One tent will have 600w hid(hortilux veg and bloom bulbs) and the other will have equivalent power of led, hgl xb300.

So, lets start with a dab.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Well that was fun, got couple beds now, lets mix that dirt and fill them.

Oh wait, we still cant, the dirt will fall through the bottom...

lets fix that...

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Okay sweet, the wire will support the weight of the soil, but what about the water, where it will go? Let gets a shower liner, and make use that to catch the run off, and why not leave the front open so we can get that water out if we want.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Okay, but the dirt will still fall through the wire, so lets cover it all with some landscape cloth. Lets do 2 layers.

One more thing, let cover the sides with plastic(I use black/white panda film/poly for this) and the edges of the bottom, direct the water flow/drainage towards the middle, and to keep the wet dirt off the wood.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
So now what, mix the dirt mix? Okay, lets do that in the plastic pool even though I'm told I should mix it on a tarp.

so, here is this mix for this, each bed holds 60 gals. Again, much thanks to Dank Frank on much of this project.

21 gal compost
7.5 gal cor
12 gal peat
3 gal ewc
3 gal black kow
3 gal vermiculite
3 gal permatil
6 gal perlite

4 1/2 cups alfalfa meal
2 cups aragonite
3 cups azomite
4 cups bat guano N
3 cups bat guano P
1 cup + 2 tbsp blood meal
6 cups bone meal
2 cups calcitic limestone
6 cups + 6tbsp crab meal
1 cup + 2 tbsp diatomaceous earth
2 cups dolomitic limestone
3 cups dry molasses
3/4 cup elemental sulfur
1 cup + 2tbsp feather meal
6 cups greensand
3 cups gypsum
2 cups + 6tbsp humic/fulvic
2 cups + 6tbsp kelp meal
3/4 cup potassium sulfate
4 cups rock phosphate
2 cups + 6tbsp sul-po-mag
10 cups symphony

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
So, the compost I got is def not the best, but hope it will be okay enough. Def had to sift it a bit and get 3/4 of a bucket of sticks and stuff out.

Next up is the coco, and then the peat(though, it looks like I missed a pic of the peat moss bag)

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
And we are still not done with the base mix yet,

lets add some ewc after the peat, the was the only ewc I could get my hands on.

And now for the black kow...

And now some vermiculite.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
gypsum, kelp meal, aragonite, potassium sulfate

Think i already posted the aragonite earlier, looking like im missing pic of the dried molasses, ill try to add it later.