What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gutters : more then just rain management

fuzygrowth

hey folks, want to follow along for some more cutting and building and gluing ??

you know i have these clones sitting around and some extra space and was thinking about building an large ebb and flow table. got to thinking though, and been there done that. so decided to do a gutter system for a couple of reasons, 1 i never done it before, and 2, gutters are cheap as shit. 4 bucks will buy you a 10 foot section of vinyl gutter. the end caps will cost another 5 or 6 bucks, and a couple other things will be another say 3-4 bucks per channel. so you can build a channel for less then 15 bucks, thats not bad, lets build a 5 channel system. here are the pics, not even close to being finished but it's a start.

tomorrow it should all fit a little better and actually look like something. see you then

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
thankin 1toke for the popcorn while lookin around for the ashtray :joint:

FG, you never cease to amaze me. all the different setups... you just say fukit and doit! im watchin and passin the popcorn too

G

When you get your plants going watch out for the guttersnipe,they caneat your plants whole!

G

Its looking more and more closer to gettin done bro nice work good luck with it all. Ill be checking back soon.. peace..

Gsack

fuzygrowth

alright, damn, i said it would be the next day but better late then never right.

i spent alot of freakin time on this thing yesterday, i'll tell you know before the pics that at the end it did not work. after speaking with a smart fella last night he's told me i need to make my manifold square all around the table so there can be even pressure and this should solve my problem of the last 2 emitters not getting any life juice to um. so we will continue with the construction pics and maybe later tonight post the fully functioning version 1.1 .

i'll pick up right where we left off up top.

after firguring out what size you want your system and building the stand you'll need to put in the plastic end caps, did not get any pics of this but it should be easy to figure out. i ripped off the lil foam they supplied on the caps and replaced with gutter sealent since it's water proof and acts as an adhesive very well. then i set out to make the drip lines, they are just T's and using 1/4 inch tubing cut into 12 inch pieces

this particular gutter has a perfect little lip where the 1/4 inch tubing fits into and hides, so we place it here and figure out where our drip lines fall.

once you mark those up you can take a dremel and notch out the gutter so your T can stick out of the side and look all professional like it came from home depot build this way.

you can do a bit more notching and make it look even cooler

now it's time to make the inlet manifold, as i stated above this system did not work well, i will have to make another manifold identical to this one on the other side of the system and run link it up to this one so we can have even pressure all around the table. anyway i hope thats all that is neededl

we start with some pvc and these little guys

drill your holes where needed, put a little bit of epoxy onto the drip line feeder connector thingie and snap into the pvc , drill a hole so it just barely fits in, the epoxy will seal any spaces and of course keep it on there for ever.

at this time you might as well make your drainage manifold . afraid i did not take many pics of it's construction but it's pretty self explanatory. 1 1/2 inch pvc , 2 end caps and a T . drill yours in the right spots and you good to go .

the drains in the gutter channels were a bitch to find for me anyway, this is my first time building such a system. But you wont have to have a hard time finding this as i've found it for you. You can get these guys over at the electrical section of home deopt / lowes . they are right where the plastic counduit area is, they have all sorts of fittings that can be used for plumbing as well, these are perfect if you ask me .

drill your hole, a hole saw gets you smoother nicer holes but if all you have is a spade bit go for it. just make sure you do it over a board or something or the vinyl will look like shit and maybe break.

after drilling your hoe pop that sucker in .

awsome system is pretty much complete, we just need a res right. i'm always pushing these tubs as they are simply perfect and everyone out there should use them. they are called super tubs, they only cost 13 bucks and can be used as a res or flood table. you can see a pefect example of putting them to use in my sig .

they will bow just a bit when completely filled with water to the rim. so we add a little support using this cheap 1/4 inch nylon rope.

so now you have your completed low profile 23 gallon res ready to go. just stick in the pump and get it going right ??

thats it, system almost complete, after redoing the manifold today we'll get some plants in those suckers and i'll be back with some new pics. hope some one out there has some use for this info.

Xtrakritical

sweet setup!

sweet setup!

Good Job Fuzzygrowth!
Thats what I love to see, some creative juices flowin' there!

Great job with the DIY, and keeping up with these nice thread, brother...

I need to get a new cordless drill... :badday: :pointlaug

Lets see how the lil ones like the setup. :lurk:
What are you gonna use for a first run?

nice of you to show people you dont have to spend so much on those prefabbed systems to grow good indoors. :dueling:

Xtra

fuzygrowth

hey xtra, thanks for stopping by. on this run we are gonna have bubblegum from thseeds. i've put a plant under each dripper so 7 plants per channel. over it we have a 1000 MH on a light rail. my first time flowering with mh so lets see what happens. onto the pics eh .

so all i had to do to fix the issue of the drippers not being even was to build an identical manifold for the other side and link the two using regular garden hose. thats it, equal presure all around.

so with that out of the way we can go ahead and put some plants in this sucker right ? right ! we start with some clean hydroton

and some healthy clones

check out them roots huh

i'm sure you can set this up many different ways but i found it easiest to put each clone into a netpot, put in the gutter, then fill all around it with hydroton as well, you can probably skip the netpots all together but like i said.. think this is easier to do .

be carefull with your clones or shit like this happens

here's the light mover in action

thats it guys, keep watch for the grow thread on this one :)

G

I've got my seat belt on for the wild ride. This is going to be a good one. Nice and easy for those looking for a simple Hydro setup. Very nice job
Take care,
BG

G

I just noticed something about your setup. I notice you don't have a lid on your Rez tank. Are you not worried about allergy or fungi? I know i had some problems with a rez tank withoug a lid awhile back. I was just wondering. Also, do you think the light mover will supply enough light for the length of your setup? Really like the setup alot. Great job.
Take care,
BG