What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

strain hunters afgooey grow

bigpeter

OK here we go again On 8 Oct I planted two strain hunters afgooey seeds in the same pot not expecting them to grow as they were very pale and immature looking. Both popped up. I separated them and luckily they both survived. I will be selecting the most vigorous of the two plants for a scrog grow. The second plant will be vegged and kept small to be flowered after the first plant is harvested. At the moment they are both under a mars hydro ts 1000 and have just started to be given daily drain to waste fertigations.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Nice one...Coco for the win..just make sure it is the quality certified buffered stuff or you gonna cry later in the grow when sodium starts leaching out..Not sure if that is still common in the coco you get in the states but I assume so, it has never changed here. 90% of the coco available is not worth the time, for dope..unless you do all the rinsing and bufferering yourself which is a PITA.. Dope far more sensitive to sodium in the conditions we grow and on the foods we use than other crops, which themselves are run in far less testing conditions and hence higher EC's than dope so the little bit of sodium makes less difference to the K and Ca uptake etc..Dope we are running far harder than other crops and PPM's of K and Ca are far lower than other crops but proportions higher, so little bit of sodium goes a long way to throw things out.. but yeah coco for the win..Your seedlings look great bra..

We have just culled out our afgooey mom, no space to run her and too much genetics to store and too many marginal GH seeds moms that did not make the grade, the afgooey got tossed with the rest unfortunately...and just before I got here to actually assess her, and before I'd worked out the room she was running in needed more light and fresh air, and water, so curious as to how she turns out for you..and what her real potential is..

bigpeter

Nice one...Coco for the win..just make sure it is the quality certified buffered stuff or you gonna cry later in the grow when sodium starts leaching out..Not sure if that is still common in the coco you get in the states but I assume so, it has never changed here. 90% of the coco available is not worth the time, for dope..unless you do all the rinsing and bufferering yourself which is a PITA

I do prepare my own coco from compressed blocks, Its not to much of a hassle as I do reuse my coco too. I just prepare a small amount to replace whats lost with the old roots

We have just culled out our afgooey mom, no space to run her and too much genetics to store and too many marginal GH seeds moms that did not make the grade, the afgooey got tossed with the rest unfortunately...and just before I got here to actually assess her, and before I'd worked out the room she was running in needed more light and fresh air, and water, so curious as to how she turns out for you..and what her real potential is..

Bummer you threw your afgooey out, I'll hopefully do a good grow here and be able to show you what she can do.

The plant pictured in above post with its roots on show has now been potted up into an air pot. This is the one that'll be flowered first. Its had its growing tip cut off and as soon as its started putting out decent side branches it'll be going under the screen

bigpeter

Morning campers, all getting prepared for another lockdown in UK? Let the panic buying begin.
biglaugh.gif
biglaugh.gif
biglaugh.gif

Two days ago I noticed that some of the larger older leaves were showing signs of calmag deficiency, so I removed them and upped the feed strength and added a couple of ml calmag to each gallon of solution. All new growth seems OK. After reading other grow reports about Afgooey I see that its a nutrient hungry strain. This morning it had its first training session.

picture.php

picture.php

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I only use (cal-mag) when I use RO, Rain or bottled water because the tap water has plenty of bicarbonates and carbonates that buffer the pH. Using too much tap water will raise the pH and look like a cal mag or calcium deficiency. In truth the receptor sites are blocked with the carbonates that are not calcium or magnesium. You can add all the cal mag you want but the plant can't use it because the unclean water. Start with clean water and set the pH with hydroxide ions=(cal-mag) before adding any fertilizers to maintain a steady pH through out the grow.

bigpeter

After some deliberating I decided to cut off the center branch so it now looks like this.

picture.php

The plan is to end up with something like this.

picture.php

bigpeter

Update day 41. Plant is extremely bushy but only 4 inches tall! It was potted up into a 20 litre air pot last week and looked root bound. My plan to train it hasn't worked as well as I wanted, seems the plant has other ideas. It will be getting a defoliation and be put into flower today.

The second plant is still in its 5 litre airpot and is considerably smaller but also very bushy, its showing signs of calmag deficiency so I've started giving it foliar sprays of calmag solution.

big plant.

picture.php

picture.php

Smaller plant

picture.php

picture.php

Good start Pete.
Don't you just love the shades of fascism in mandatory lockdowns ?
For a virus that has a survival rate of 99.9% in patients under 65
At least you got a good hobby to get you through
Plant's look thick.

bigpeter

Put on a bit of a stretch, a few flowers visible. Currently being fed 1 gallon 1400 ppm once a day with runoff at 1500ppm

picture.php

And the smaller plant thats been kept in a small pot with 30 watts of led lighting has stayed small and bushy

picture.php

Last edited:

bigpeter

I decided to take the screen down, I think I can manage without it. If plant grows too tall I'll tie it down. I also gave it a heavy trim and removed all the lower branches that wouldn't produce any decent size buds. I could see straight away that the tops were getting more light.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

bigpeter

A few pics of progress, everything's looking super healthy and going well. I'm hoping no more stretch but I do have another 6 inches of space to raise the lamp if needed. Still getting 1 gallon once a day, about a quart run off.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Put on a bit of a stretch, a few flowers visible. Currently being fed 1 gallon 1400 ppm once a day with runoff at 1500ppm

View Image

And the smaller plant thats been kept in a small pot with 30 watts of led lighting has stayed small and bushy

View Image

Nice drosera bro, beats the yellow sticky strips... Thanks to your thread, I've put some afgooey in a newly redesigned room to test her out again, found a few random cuts left hidden from the mom we had chucked out..:) She is a fattie, 3 weeks in on monday..Ill try get a pic from my phone to here, new with this smart phone tech.. I definitely think there was a light flat spot and or bad air exchange in the corner of the room where they used to run her, she is looking much better now than before so keen to see..

Last edited:

bigpeter

Ill try get a pic from my phone to here, new with this smart phone tech.. I definitely think there was a light flat spot and or bad air exchange in the corner of the room where they used to run her, she is looking much better now than before so keen to see..

I'd be interested in seeing those pics.

This is the smaller plant still in its 5 litre pot. Loads of branches pulled down with elastic bands and hooked into the airpot drainage holes with copper wire and still under 3 10 watt led bulbs.

picture.php

picture.php

drosera420

Premium user
420giveaway
Nice drosera indeed, capensis it looks like ? That species would be the best for this scenario. Bomb proof, wide temp range and tolerant of more abuse than others. It's the "weed" of sundews, never just one and wait a month there will be a zillon after going to seed. The afgooey is nice too?? !

St. Phatty

WOW beautiful plant ! ! !

Last time I had something called Afghui/Afgooey was in SF in 2006.

Very sticky, very potent, very good Cannabis.

bigpeter

Nice drosera indeed, capensis it looks like ? That species would be the best for this scenario. Bomb proof, wide temp range and tolerant of more abuse than others. It's the "weed" of sundews, never just one and wait a month there will be a zillon after going to seed. The afgooey is nice too?? !

Yes its a drosera capensis. I've had those plants for years, occasionally cutting most of the black dead leafs off and it regrows like crazy. I've occasionally neglected to water it because I've run out of distilled water but it survived and is like you say bullet proof and does a great job keeping the fungus gnats in check. Curiously its always put out pink flowers but today I notice white flowers on it.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yes its a drosera capensis. I've had those plants for years, occasionally cutting most of the black dead leafs off and it regrows like crazy. I've occasionally neglected to water it because I've run out of distilled water but it survived and is like you say bullet proof and does a great job keeping the fungus gnats in check. Curiously its always put out pink flowers but today I notice white flowers on it.

Im no expert, my mate is though...The capensis occur wild in the area around me, there are white and pink flower varieties..Your pink one could have seeded itself and had a white baby?

bigpeter

Flowering day 44. Things aren't looking so good considering this is an 8 week plant. Flowers just aren't growing as I would have expected. Apart from swollen calyx's the buds are still the same size as they were in week 4. The plant is super healthy so I'm guessing its down to the pheno. Now I'm wondering how the second plant that I've been vegging for 13 weeks will perform, will it be worth flowering? Temps are 28 day 20 night, humidity 60-75% Good amount of air exchange

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

second plant thats vegging

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts