What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Muriate of Potash?

WelderDan

Veteran
What are your thoughts on Muriate of Potash? It's a natural source of potassium and is "technically" organic. I'm having a hard time finding kelp meal or any other organic source of K. My understanding is has a lot of chlorine making it bad for microbes. Could I put it in water and bubble it like tap water to remove the chlorine?

Thoughts?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I have a little sack of it from the nursery. I am going to sprinkle a little outside in the garden and let it mellow out for the winter. I chopped the last 2 plants yesterday so the season is over as they claim snow this weekend. Anyway on the bag it says "not for indoor plants". It is very strong stuff, but if I just use a little and have all winter for it to mellow out I should be good.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I always get recipes for nutrients from a spellbook too.

Make sure you add it after the Belladonna but before Eye of Newt.

Best of luck!

:witch:

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
I’m with Dank Frank, WelderDan, sulphate of potash is what l use because it not only contains potassium but sulphur as well.
I’m not so sure that chlorine and chloride are the same element or even behave the same in solution and l’d hazard a guess that chloride would build up in the soil over time and have negative effects.
If you only require small amounts of potassium you could look at bananas or avocados. They both contain elevated amounts, with avocados containing the highest. In fact if you have kidney problems, avocados are on the recommended list of foods to avoid for this specific reason and may be a good reference for truely organic sources of potassium.
Of course there is always wood ash that is high in potassium but comes with its own issues, such as being highly alkaline. Someone posted a process to extract potassium out of wood ash over at the “Local Materials” thread, l think it was PDX but maybe not. I also remember HH eluding to a process for extracting potassium in the same thread.
I hope this helps you out,
Cheers,

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Just call it potassium chloride and move out of the Dark Ages.

You never know when some smartass wiseacre is going to point and laugh.

:2cents:

:D

40degsouth

“A rose by any other name” Mr. Mustard. Possibly not as good on chippies as some nicely evaporated sea NaCl.