Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > They ain’t jealous til they smell us

Thread Title Search
They ain’t jealous til they smell us Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2020, 02:01 AM #1
antheis

antheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud of
They ain’t jealous til they smell us

The time has come to do my part on making icmag great again.
The goal of this grow journey is to showcase flowers and eventually put seeds up on the seedbay server fund. Both crosses that I make and seed increases of old seeds that I have. However, I have been having one hell of a time germinating seeds and keeping them alive lately and all that will be included in this journal.

I am growing in two boxes I built out of 2x4’s and 5/16” plywood. Earlier this month I converted one of them into a sip, or sub-irrigated planter. These were built without plans and are far from square but they get the job done. I used insulation spray foam when screwing on the plywood to ensure an airtight seal.

The lights are leds which I also built following the ledgardener’s design. I used 12 2 foot strips wired in parallel driven by a 240 watt driver. The total growing area is just over six square feet and the headspace is 40”. The drivers are remotely mounted on the top of the box and the lights are static. I’ve never had the need or desire to lower them.

First up is my sip box. Today was the first day of flower for the twelve cuts that are in it. 7 cjsb and 5 pole dancer. This is the first time I’ve flowered either cut.

Cjsb

Pole dancer (+1 cjsb in the back)

Unfortunately when I was taking these pictures I saw two fungus gnats. While they are little more than a nuisance to mature plants growing they can inflict damage on seedlings and it sucks to have bugs flying around the house. I just had a brief outbreak on my vegging plants and quickly treated them with a thick top dressing of diatomaceous earth to suffocate them. Knowing that if they got into this box it would be hard to kill them off. I’m not sure what I’m going to do to kill them now since all that is in that box is moist decaying organic matter.
antheis is offline Quote

10 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 AM #2
BeAn v.2.0

BeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud of
Nice dirt, looking forward to the green future!
BeAn v.2.0 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:29 AM #3
LouDog420

LouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant futureLouDog420 has a brilliant future
Tagged, always fun to watch the cjsb

I usually just deal with gnats, but recently ran into an issue with pythium and they're a vector for it. Mosquito dunks will knock them out for a bit, but it seems to need reapplication otherwise they return with a vengenace. Both crumbled on medium and in reservoirs. Have heard good things about gnatrol but haven't tried myself. I would think with a sub irrigated planter you'd have very good luck top dressing with a layer of perlite or DE to make the top layer inhospitable.

Good vibes, pass the bong please
LouDog420 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:38 AM #4
antheis

antheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud ofantheis has much to be proud of
Box 2

Box 2 is still a conventional bed with the same dimensions.

In it are six cuttings of pole dancer at day 50 of flower

At the beginning of the year I had started a pack of these but never got them out of solo cups and they began to flower due to being root bound. I tried giving them more root space but couldn't get them back into veg. As a last ditch effort to save them I took seven cuts from 3 females and they all rooted. I was surprised and since I didn't label them I just saved the biggest one with the most roots as my mother.

These two look similar enough to call them the same. They have smaller buds and the smells didn't kick in until a week ago but look to be a solid 60 day strain. The fade started a 2 - 3 weeks ago.

The two in the foreground of these pictures are also similar enough to call the same. They are making very thick Buds and need help staying upright. The plant in the middle back looks like them as well but I didn't get a picture of it. You can see the wire I have helping hold it up.

The one in the back on the second picture had narrower fingers and deeper serrations. It also just started fading in the past couple of days. I believe (hope) this is the one I saved since I'm pretty sure I took at least two cuts of every plant that had branches to cut.
antheis is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:40 AM #5
antheis

Nug shots

antheis is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:42 AM #6
antheis

antheis is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:52 AM #7
BeAn v.2.0

BeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud ofBeAn v.2.0 has much to be proud of
Thats hot. I need more dollar bills.
BeAn v.2.0 is offline Quote

Old 10-21-2020, 04:16 AM #8
antheis

Thank you, gents, for popping in.

I am unsure of how well DE will work if it gets wet. I think the wick might be too big for this box because the top of the medium is always moist. I think what I am going to do is put down strips of panda film in between the plants an then put on DE.

I like to talk about my growing philosophy. I pop whole packs when I grow a strain. This is so I can see it all at once. If I crack just three or five and they all suck, I'm less likely to fool with the rest of that pack. Likewise if they're all great and I can't choose a keeper so I go and pop the rest thinking I'll get something like I did before, but then that's when I find all the duds, or males.

I also do this so that I can make increases of seed. Cannabis seeds, rightly or wrongly, are expensive especially for a hobby. I put in ten, or fifteen, or thirty to get the most genetic inputs as possible. That's another reason why I built these to be as airtight as possible - to keep pollen contamination down.

Now lately it has been biting me in the ass because all I have been doing is killing seeds. I just popped a pack of useful's chocolate diesel S1's and verdant green's c4dd and only 4 and 1 survived, respectively.

It hurts my heart and my wallet. So I'm putting all bought seeds on hold until I get my survival rate above 90%. Fortunately I have thousands of seeds that I made and a few freebies.

Lou! Quit hoggen the bong, and pass that shit!
antheis is offline Quote

Old 10-21-2020, 04:19 AM #9
antheis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAn v.2.0 View Post
Thats hot. I need more dollar bills.
Don't we all?

I think all in I spent just under a grand and I bought enough led strips, drivers, and aluminum to build three lights. I need to get in that third one, but lumber is so damn expensive right now I'm trying to wait it out.
antheis is offline Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 04:31 AM #10
antheis

I harvested one ppd on Wednesday (day 51) then the three big ones one Thurs. They finished much faster than I expected. The slowest one is looking like it'll be done in 60-65 days.

The ppd needs more veg time than I've given it the past two grows. It at most doubles in stretch. She starts making flowers and pistils by the second day of uninterrupted darkness. All of the purpling is showing up on the inside of the buds. Like a geode. Smells are developing, but banana, black berry, pineapple juice ferment is dominating today. I has been a sweet milk/cream with nutmeg and pepper.

The sip is moving along nicely.

Fifth day of flower

Cjsb side

Ppd side

I put plastic down to deter the fungus gnats. Seems to have worked because I've only seen two gnats since I did it on Tues/Wed.

Lastly, I messed up seeds again (bad dawg genetics freebies) . I started trials to see what I can do to become consistent in popping seeds. I'm using jiffy pellets and recycled soil in paper cups. Either will be a success if the seedling lives for a week after breaking ground.
antheis is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.