The time has come to do my part on making icmag great again.
The goal of this grow journey is to showcase flowers and eventually put seeds up on the seedbay server fund. Both crosses that I make and seed increases of old seeds that I have. However, I have been having one hell of a time germinating seeds and keeping them alive lately and all that will be included in this journal.
I am growing in two boxes I built out of 2x4’s and 5/16” plywood. Earlier this month I converted one of them into a sip, or sub-irrigated planter. These were built without plans and are far from square but they get the job done. I used insulation spray foam when screwing on the plywood to ensure an airtight seal.
The lights are leds which I also built following the ledgardener’s design. I used 12 2 foot strips wired in parallel driven by a 240 watt driver. The total growing area is just over six square feet and the headspace is 40”. The drivers are remotely mounted on the top of the box and the lights are static. I’ve never had the need or desire to lower them.
First up is my sip box. Today was the first day of flower for the twelve cuts that are in it. 7 cjsb and 5 pole dancer. This is the first time I’ve flowered either cut.
Pole dancer (+1 cjsb in the back)
Unfortunately when I was taking these pictures I saw two fungus gnats. While they are little more than a nuisance to mature plants growing they can inflict damage on seedlings and it sucks to have bugs flying around the house. I just had a brief outbreak on my vegging plants and quickly treated them with a thick top dressing of diatomaceous earth to suffocate them. Knowing that if they got into this box it would be hard to kill them off. I’m not sure what I’m going to do to kill them now since all that is in that box is moist decaying organic matter.