Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > Infected coco- Mold/fungus

Thread Title Search
Infected coco- Mold/fungus Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2020, 11:13 PM #1
Veggia farmer

Veggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud of
Infected coco- Mold/fungus

Hola!

Was at the shop today for equipement and some coco. The coco was stacked on top of each other with plastic around. It was clearly a little moist, and had some mold/fungus on the bag. Opened some of them up and I saw some on the coco coir, blue/greenish mold/fungus on it. Not much. Maybe started to heat a little in the middle of the stack. Unsure because of the temperatue differention with outisde vs inside temp .

I plan on using it in a grow doing both salt fertlizer and organic methods...

Have somebody tried to compost coco? I know it doesnt break down SOOO fast, so you can re-use it, BUT how fast? And how will this mold/fungus affect it all?

I wondered to kill the infection before it continues...? To have a more "clean" start..

I got it for free.....

Old 10-20-2020, 12:49 AM #2
Fixer

Fixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud ofFixer has much to be proud of
I had the same problem recently. I returned the coco to the grow shop. If I was going to use it I'd hit it with some hydrogen peroxide. Then I use Azos & Mycos to inoculate it.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:24 PM #3
Veggia farmer

Veggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud ofVeggia farmer has much to be proud of
Right, I have a lot so I thought about cholrine since it cheap and more available for me, what do you think? Whats the benefit for hydrogen peroxide over Cholorine?

Or could some PH up or down materials work?

What about spores? How much would they survive?

Azos I think I have, atleast a big bag of beneficial bacterias and Mycos at storage.

Thanks.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:45 PM #4
ridoo

ridoo has a spectacular aura aboutridoo has a spectacular aura aboutridoo has a spectacular aura aboutridoo has a spectacular aura aboutridoo has a spectacular aura about
if you can, never ever use fongus infected materials, ever

return this to the shop

spores are going to fly everywhere around and you might get fongus later in your plants, your containers, your buds...

if you wanna clean use peroxide at high concentration and flush the coco batch several times and clean everything around

molds is a grower nightmare and it can destroy your crop easily...

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:00 PM #5
f-e

f-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant future
Blue can be bad. Have you tried Stilton?

It does well in dryer material so you may find it's colonised the outside layer while a more harmonious society lives within the core of the bag. I have seen it removed manually before mixing the coco, never to see it again. Coco grows can be bio or inert so your expected use of the substrate may guide you to sterilise it or re-colinise it. Or you may choose to burn it and buy some more. Every situation is different. I wouldn't open it in my home though. As Ridoo says, it will be over everything.
f-e is offline Quote

Old 10-20-2020, 05:53 PM #6
Veggia farmer

Never tried Stilton, but other bluecheeses, I love it ,f-e!

Will think it over what to do. Got coco worth 1250 dollars for free so if I will reject it as a substrate for cannabis, I will use it some were else on the farm. Nothing is waste at a organic farm, so no returning, just have to change were the usage of it willl be...

Thanks for the inputs!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:49 AM #7
indocult

indocult has a spectacular aura aboutindocult has a spectacular aura aboutindocult has a spectacular aura aboutindocult has a spectacular aura aboutindocult has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like trichoderma, do you know the brand? I'm pretty sure botanicare fortifies their Coco with trichoderma..

Old 10-21-2020, 11:13 AM #8
Veggia farmer

This is DNA mills. Now I remember what I forgot at the shop. I thought about too buy it seperat, but forgot.

Last edited by Veggia farmer; 10-21-2020 at 11:53 AM..
Veggia farmer is offline Quote

Old 10-21-2020, 12:09 PM #9
Veggia farmer

Checked out some pics now, yes it look like trichoderma, the bluish things. Now I dont remember isnt the coco incolated with it? to prevent other stuff infecting it?

Have not used a lot of coco before....

Old 10-21-2020, 12:58 PM #10
indocult

indocult has a spectacular aura aboutindocult has a spectacular aura aboutindocult has a spectacular aura aboutindocult has a spectacular aura aboutindocult has a spectacular aura about
Yes some brands inoculate with trich. It's beneficial to roots.
I'm not familiar with that brand, but by the sounds of it that's it, Coco is pretty benign and not a whole lot can grow on/from it without another nutrient source.
It should be fine to use imo