What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Removing Fan Leaves on Final Few Weeks of Flowering

Man at Arms

I am in my final stretch of flowering. At 7.5 weeks on a 10ish week run. When is it a good time to remove all of the larger fan leaves to allow maximum light penetration? I have probably already removed about 30% of the so far.

budsnblunts

Veteran
Everyone's opinion is different when it comes to this. Some remove the odd fan leaf through flower if it's shading a bud site. I remove majority of leaves the last couple days making trimming easier. If your worried about harming the plant rather then light penetration then leave them.

St. Phatty

Indoors or outdoors ?

the plant works very hard to store its food - in the leaves.

When you remove them, you're removing both a food source - and an energy source - that the plant uses during flowering.

I understand why people do it indoors.

prune

Veteran
Ya, the removing fan leaves theory started because everyone pulls the odd-colored leaves to make their internet photos look more "professional", then they use the "opening the canopy" excuse to mask the bugs, disease and burned tips... lol

DunHav`nFun

Ya, the removing fan leaves theory started because everyone pulls the odd-colored leaves to make their internet photos look more "professional", then they use the "opening the canopy" excuse to mask the bugs, disease and burned tips... lol
Dude......What kind of advice is that compared to what the OP actually posted.....I mean.....seems like your posts in every thread I see you in are negative with absolutely no grow help whatsoever.....and for the record.....the pulling leaves theory as you call it had not a damn thing to do with internet pics , but rather when to pull em to keep em from shutting down and stunting growth once the plants were flipped 12/12 on till the end of cycle......

Stripping leaves is a technique that acts differently on every strain , so what it did for me was to easily get rid of the larger fan leaves that stored all the excess Nitrogen the plant had stored all the way to late flower. , but also concentrated the feed to the actual buds instead of growing foliage/rather letting what`s there do nothing but store it , so......

To actually answer the question correctly from personal hands on experience over yrs and yrs , take everything that`s under a budsite with it`s own petiole/stem , then take the other secondary leaves around the colas with stems but smaller over a few days gradually so as to not stunt the plant and stop it from feeding.....

What`s left are the 1 and 2 leafers jutting out colas that`re more than enough for photosynthesis during late flower since the plant mostly pumps resin during lights on and swells during lights off in a perfect environment with proper feed and watts per sq ft......anyways......

Just tryin ta help from all those yrs.....Prune.....Bad advice helps no one.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: .......

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
My opinion

My opinion

Leaves have an extremely important part to play in your plants lives, they’re kind of like solar panels for plants, and the buds are the batteries. If light hits the batteries they won’t charge, it needs to hit the panels so that the light can be turned into energy for your plants. This means that if you remove the leaves you’ll end up removing a lot of the strength from your plants, as they act like nutrient deposits; if your plants leaves aren’t receiving enough light the plant will automatically absorb all of the nutrients, leaving the leaf yellow and dead. Removing the bottom leaf where there's no light is important, but if a strong ray of light hits the leaf its staying for bud production.

troutman

Seed Whore
If you stop fertilizing much earlier than the 2 last weeks like most people. Many of the fan leaves will use up their nutrients and fall off naturally. :tiphat:

DunHav`nFun

Leaves have an extremely important part to play in your plants lives, they’re kind of like solar panels for plants, and the buds are the batteries. If light hits the batteries they won’t charge, it needs to hit the panels so that the light can be turned into energy for your plants. This means that if you remove the leaves you’ll end up removing a lot of the strength from your plants, as they act like nutrient deposits; if your plants leaves aren’t receiving enough light the plant will automatically absorb all of the nutrients, leaving the leaf yellow and dead. Removing the bottom leaf where there's no light is important, but if a strong ray of light hits the leaf its staying for bud production.
No offense Bro , but opinions are like assholes , everybody has one and they ALL mostly stink.....Opinions are theories and unsubstantiated results from never actually having worked with plants enough to KNOW what response to stimuli and other possible adverse effects occur during these techniques that`ve been around for yrs........that said......

Stopping feed prematurely the last 2 weeks as troutman states , kills the plant`s BEST chance to swell as long as possible till end of cycle and yield all it can , when what actually could`ve been done was to dwindle the feed down gradually after all the nutrient stored fans are gone/stripped , and then the plant fades and cannibalizes itself accordingly and ends up being all it can be after a proper slow dry and cure......again.....My 2 cents from actually doin this shit for many yrs.....not opinion.....

Peace.....DHF.......:ying: ......

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Please don't take this as argumentative, I'm just trying to learn. :tiphat:
What do you say about somebody like Jeff Lowenfields who says that the buds cannot convert light into energy, that the leaves are the energy converters.
I don't want you to argue me, but just argue his point. If that makes sense.
Thanks!

DunHav`nFun

Please don't take this as argumentative, I'm just trying to learn. :tiphat:
What do you say about somebody like Jeff Lowenfields who says that the buds cannot convert light into energy, that the leaves are the energy converters.
I don't want you to argue me, but just argue his point. If that makes sense.
Thanks!
Not here to argue Bro.....only here to help those that actually grow dope and not write papers on how to.....My experience has taught me that once the plants get to the point where ALL that matters in late bloomage is pumping resin during lights on as a natural defense mechanism against heat and light per said natural defense mechanism as if out in mother nature where all this shit began, while swellage COMPLETELY happens at night/lights out , but.....

The remaining 1 and 2 leafers jutting out of colas is more than enough fanleaf/foliage for photosynthesis that`s actually needed late bloomage so ......

There`s many many opinions and so many arguments about leaving the fanleaves on as solar panels to store energy and convert sugars that I`ve found over the yrs to be horseshit , but as stated above.....opinions vary and EVERYONE is entitled to theirs.....

Whether those opinions get anywhere near being factual is yet to be determined Canna , and all I`m doing is trying to dispell rumors and help folks know the difference......I`d never tell someone a technique to use if it would hurt their grow or possible livelihood....I help folks with no ego involved......

Peace.....DHF.......:ying: .......

ButterflyEffect

Not here to argue Bro.....only here to help those that actually grow dope and not write papers on how to.....My experience has taught me that once the plants get to the point where ALL that matters in late bloomage is pumping resin during lights on as a natural defense mechanism against heat and light per said natural defense mechanism as if out in mother nature where all this shit began, while swellage COMPLETELY happens at night/lights out , but.....

The remaining 1 and 2 leafers jutting out of colas is more than enough fanleaf/foliage for photosynthesis that`s actually needed late bloomage so ......

There`s many many opinions and so many arguments about leaving the fanleaves on as solar panels to store energy and convert sugars that I`ve found over the yrs to be horseshit , but as stated above.....opinions vary and EVERYONE is entitled to theirs.....

Whether those opinions get anywhere near being factual is yet to be determined Canna , and all I`m doing is trying to dispell rumors and help folks know the difference......I`d never tell someone a technique to use if it would hurt their grow or possible livelihood....I help folks with no ego involved......

Peace.....DHF.......:ying: .......

DHF,

I've read a good number of your posts and they've honestly helped me learn how to read my plants and manage my garden. I appreciate the advice you've been willing to share with the community.

That said, I haven't posted, only lurked, but figured maybe it's about time!

With respect to defoliating techniques, genetics notwithstanding, how would you suggest applying it in a vert setup? I run 5 screened per donut with 2 stacked 315s.

I defol'd pretty randomly at one point, but now I strategically tuck when I screen. I have one room at day 40 now and I'm wondering whether I should pull the fans tucked through the back of the screen.

Thanks in advance!

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I agree. I think the removal of leaves is just some stoner logic.

I have tried leaf removal a few times and always found it to be detrimental.

DunHav`nFun

Oh Ye of little Faith......

Oh Ye of little Faith......

Guys.....You`re all entitled to your opinions , and I`m fairly sure I covered that opinion issue earlier , so if you have nothing to offer other than callin bullshit on what took me yrs and yrs to learn howta add light and air movement through my plants for their benefit till end of cycle while NOT stunting or doin anything "detrimental" to their asses , please refrain from continued posting on shit neither 1 of you obviously have experience at , so why call it "stoner logic", or "It doesn`t matter" when you have no clue.....and guaranteed if it was detrimental , you obviously didn`t pay attention to WHEN to strip leaves , so again.....

I just come here ta help.....no other reason......Believe what you will , but it does nobody any good to talk shit for no apparent reason other than to just to have your post read like you know something we don`t .....

Sorry Butterfly Effect.....PM`s are open without all the bullshit to read and reflect on.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:......

ButterflyEffect

Guys.....You`re all entitled to your opinions , and I`m fairly sure I covered that opinion issue earlier , so if you have nothing to offer other than callin bullshit on what took me yrs and yrs to learn howta add light and air movement through my plants for their benefit till end of cycle while NOT stunting or doin anything "detrimental" to their asses , please refrain from continued posting on shit neither 1 of you obviously have experience at , so why call it "stoner logic", or "It doesn`t matter" when you have no clue.....and guaranteed if it was detrimental , you obviously didn`t pay attention to WHEN to strip leaves , so again.....

I just come here ta help.....no other reason......Believe what you will , but it does nobody any good to talk shit for no apparent reason other than to just to have your post read like you know something we don`t .....

Sorry Butterfly Effect.....PM`s are open without all the bullshit to read and reflect on.....

I think I need to wait a bit before I can PM. Thanks for the moment! I'll hopefully be in touch soon!

Tynehead Tom

I'm gonna wade in here....

fan leaf pruning effects can be strain dependent and I've seen it time and time again in my gardens both inside and out.

For the most part though, if done properly, fan leaf removal is actually helping the plant direct it's energies where the grower wants them to go.
In my garden, once a fan leaf hits a certain stage in its life it is using as much energy to stay healthy as it is giving to the rest of the plant. That leaf has now become an energy sink and if removed, allows the energy it was consuming to be used by more healthy intermediate fans that are still producing more energy for the plant than they are consuming.
I go by appearance and it is quite simple really. The fans I remove will have lost thier sheen, the surface of the leaves flatten out and the nice healthy green has darkened somewhat. The leaf is probably still totally green but by eye I can tell it has become an energy sink.
In the last week of flower I deleaf mature and intermediate fans from the entire plant so as to make harvest an easier task.

Some varieties respond very well to a constant but measured deleafing thru the entire grow , starting with early removal of seedling fan leaves to promote a branching response. Some react well to that stress.... some do not.
After years of growing, you get the feel for it after awhile and I would say that overall.... measured deleafing is a positive thing. Promotes better airflow and canopy penetration as well.

gorilla ganja

Well said TT, I was going to write a post but you summed it up well.

A couple of things I would add: leaves do not really store energy. I think of them as solar panels, they produce energy to fuel plant growth, but do not really store them. They also do not really store nutrients. The plant will steal the mobile nutrients from any healthy leaves if the growing medium is lacking in those nutrients. Especially older leaves to fuel new growth. But the plant will not do this unless forced to.

The leaves produce the energy which is then transferred to the plant via the leaf stem. This is why I like to leave 80% or so of the leaf stem on when I take leaves. It will continue to draw out of it for several days till it drys and falls off or I remove them. I believe less shock to the plant.

I remove leaves based on 2 main criteria.
Size of the leaf. I remove when they reach 3-4 inches length approx.
But more importantly when the branch that the leaf supports is a half-inch or longer and beginning to unfurl leaves of its own. Then when 1 leaf is taken off 2 smaller ones quickly take its place.

bushed

There's a really great documentation in the side by side forum of someone who actually recorded the effects of this over multiple runs and strains.

The results suggested that defoliation yields slightly less across the board, but only the difference of 2-5g's. I take this as fact over people's anicdotal experience, just like in all fields people have done the science and other people will ignore it in favour of what they have personally observed.

Chi13

ICMag Donor

I have 43 years of pot growing and was a horticulturist for 20. I am just posting my experience. You don't know me, yet you are happy to say I'm talking shit to gain attention? Fuck your arrogance. And what's with saying it's ok to have an opinion, yet slamming those who disagree with you? There are plenty of experienced growers who don't defoliate.
If you have any real science to post, rather than regurgitated stoner sites, please I'd love to see them.
Otherwise have a read or this with this conclusion Defoliation has a negative impact on all measurements of production.:
https://cannabis-science-consulting.com/cannabis-defoliation-studies/

A link to side by side grow;
https://www.*********.com/threads/defoliation-side-by-side-bushy-plants.101534/
Btw yields were higher in the non defoliated group. Seems I can't post other grow sites.

I am happy to be proven wrong if there is some science to back it up.

Last edited:

DunHav`nFun

I have 43 years of pot growing and was a horticulturist for 20. I am just posting my experience. You don't know me, yet you are happy to say I'm talking shit to gain attention? Fuck your arrogance. And what's with saying it's ok to have an opinion, yet slamming those who disagree with you? There are plenty of experienced growers who don't defoliate.
If you have any real science to post, rather than regurgitated stoner sites, please I'd love to see them.
Otherwise have a read or this with this conclusion Defoliation has a negative impact on all measurements of production.:
https://cannabis-science-consulting.com/cannabis-defoliation-studies/

I am happy to be proven wrong if there is some science to back it up.
Yeah.....I`d say you`re provin me completely right about having to read your own writing and so-called accomplishments over your so-called career of growin dope.....I have no arrogance dude , only tryta help from what worked for me yrs and yrs , and I`ve been doin this shit every bit as long as you SAY you been doin it , so as I stated originally.....Everyone has opinions and they ALL mostly stink.....and hey......

Your book studies don`t mean dick in practical application while my way saves the plants from possible pm , budrot/botyritis , lack of airflow AND light into the canopy to prevent popcorn larfy bullshit , and lastly.....Leaves never paid me a damn dime , but all the individual colas all the way to the bottoms of my plants did , so regardless of your readings and studies , I stand by my practical application of strippin leaves as and when needed till end of cycle , but.....

You slammin me like I`m clueless kinda makes you a dick with no proof my shit works or doesn`t since all you have is your anecdotal evidence plus your lil reading material from folks that like ta read their own writing without any proof and or having grown dope for production and NOT for personal use.....anyways.....

My 2 cents Dude.....My old ass cares not for your attitude nor your lack of proof other than some bullshit study that I could`ve written for Cannabis Science for all you know , and.....

Since my first post in this thread , I`ve stressed this is the 1 of the most argued about and debated issue on EVERY weedsite that ever was , but yet you come back to sling dick and PROVE you`re right and I`m wrong AND arrogant for stating what works in the real world for me and 100`s and 100`s of folks I`ve helped with this very technique over the yrs.....and yeah....I stand by my remark about you posting just to post since you`ve not said anything else other than spew your accolades over you`ve done this and been this too ....Horticulturist.....wow....I`m impressed....

Some folks.....Sheesh....No more from me....I`ve nothing else to add to this thread so yall handle it and........

Latest posts

Latest posts