Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Plant Based Diet

Thread Title Search
Plant Based Diet Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2020, 02:43 AM #1
Chi13

Chi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant future
Plant Based Diet

I'm in my late 50s and have a family history of heart disease, prostate and bowel cancer. I need to have things like cholesterol and blood tests for prostate cancer every year. Colonoscopy every 3 years. Cholesterol had been slowly increasing to the point where my dr wanted me on statin medication. Also my markers for prostate cancer had started to increase.

Long story short, I did a bit of research and started incorporating more vegetables and legumes into my diet, whilst reducing dairy and meat. I was only really eating meat when I was out. Anyway the dangerous blood markers started going down, Dr was pleased and remarked that I seemed to be getting younger.

Following this I decided to go fully plant based. I did this sensibly, read a lot. I supplement with B12 and sometimes with Omega 3s, although I try to get Omega 3 from diet (difficult as a vegan).

I have been doing this for nearly a year now. Blood tests are great and I feel pretty good. Certainly have a lot of energy and am pretty fit for my age. The only unhealthy thing I do is drink beer and wine (I plead Australian). Anyone else follow this sort of diet?
Chi13 is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:49 AM #2
unclefishstick
Fancy Janitor

unclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivor
unclefishstick has completed 8 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
mostly...i still do dairy and eggs...and occasionally fish or chicken...so not really at all! lol

but seriously,mainly my diet is plant based...i don't own a car so i ride a bike everywhere,and it also happens to be my major source of recreation...and since i often go for 5-6 hour rides on those days i do usually have chicken or fish,mostly because plant based foods aren't calorically dense enough to replace burning an extra 4-5000 calories burned...
unclefishstick is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:53 AM #3
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
In case you didn't know, Canola is grown for most of the Omega acid oils sold today.

But you need to find the cold-pressed version which is more expensive than regular Canola oil.

The health benefits of cold-pressed canola oil

Happy Holidays.

troutman is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:04 AM #4
unclefishstick
Fancy Janitor

unclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivorunclefishstick is a survivor
yeah,my religion forbids me to not use butter and milk is crucial for proper coffee for me...soy milk is rancid in coffee....soy cheese is awful...

and plus i don't have the time to tell everyone all about my vegan diet without being asked and carrying a soapbox around on a bike is tough! lol

Old 09-24-2020, 03:05 AM #5
flylowgethigh
grassyhopper

flylowgethigh has disabled reputation
I have had MDs tell me that alkalinity will thwart cancer, so I add some bakng soda to my water. It prevents reflux, and I bet is good for the teeth.

As for plants, lacking some of the goodness from spinach (or beets) and other greens, is bad for an old guy like me. Nitric oxide in blood vessel walls drops from not having the minerals.

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87
flylowgethigh is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:16 AM #6
Chi13

Chi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant futureChi13 has a brilliant future
Uncle, I sometimes lurk in your guide to fishsticks thread and am well aware of your mountain biking feats! There are some endurance athletes that are fully plant based, but you'd probably need a bit of planning if you went that route. I don't think having the occasional meat or dairy is that bad for you. In fact I've thought of incorporating fish a few times a week, but right now things are working well for me, health wise. I do a 10km hike most weekends, bodyweight exercises a few times a week and a brisk walk or bike ride almost every day.

Troutman thanks for the good oil info. I will look into that. Do you eat trout btw?

Also, I do occasionally go vegetarian if I am out and there isn't a great vegan dish on the menu. I'm not welded on to my choice, but it seems to be working great so far.
Chi13 is offline Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 03:20 AM #7
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi13 View Post
Troutman thanks for the good oil info. I will look into that. Do you eat trout btw?

Also, I do occasionally go vegetarian if I am out and there isn't a great vegan dish on the menu. I'm not welded on to my choice, but it seems to be working great so far.
Yes, I also raised some trout fingerlings this Spring from eggs I purchased in January to create a secret mountain lake fishing spot.

Happy Holidays.

troutman is offline Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 03:40 AM #8
Chi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Yes, I also raised some trout fingerlings this Spring from eggs I purchased in January to create a secret mountain lake fishing spot.
Sounds great, and you probably couldn't find healthier fish.
Chi13 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:45 AM #9
unclefishstick
Fancy Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi13 View Post
Uncle, I sometimes lurk in your guide to fishsticks thread and am well aware of your mountain biking feats! There are some endurance athletes that are fully plant based, but you'd probably need a bit of planning if you went that route. I don't think having the occasional meat or dairy is that bad for you. In fact I've thought of incorporating fish a few times a week, but right now things are working well for me, health wise. I do a 10km hike most weekends, bodyweight exercises a few times a week and a brisk walk or bike ride almost every day.

a 5 hour bike ride takes 5 hours of cooking and eating to recover from...not to mention rehydrating

Old 09-24-2020, 03:46 AM #10
Sunshineinabag
Banned

Sunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivorSunshineinabag is a survivor
Fruits in the morning....egg salad sandwiches for lunch and maybe a chefs salad for dinner or variations of those
Sunshineinabag is offline Quote