What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crazy high EC and super low PH-promix

Running promix hp. Was feeding at 1.3ec. 2 plants are super droopy and having issues. I fed calmag water and slf100, no nutes till some runoff to check it. I obviously have to flush. Should I just use plain water for another time or two see if these 2 plants fix themselves? Or use something like clearex? In veg. Wanting to flip to flower ASAP. Should I just water/feed till runoff to help with these issues.

mackdx

I ran pro mix for a few years and did great with it. All of a sudden this spring everything went to crap using the same methods that worked so well previously. Eventually figured out the issues were more pH related and I was able to salvage most plants with a health dose of dolomite lime.

Switched back to coco DTW and never looked back

I ran pro mix for a few years and did great with it. All of a sudden this spring everything went to crap using the same methods that worked so well previously. Eventually figured out the issues were more pH related and I was able to salvage most plants with a health dose of dolomite lime.

Switched back to coco DTW and never looked back
I am from Coco original Wanted something that I could water a little less frequent and it has been a stressful couple weeks LOL

mackdx

PH and ppm your water. Pour 2x your pot size through your pot. Check ppm a d pH. Report both sets of measurements back

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you are using RO or rain water you have to supplement with cal-mag. If not, there's no need for cal-mag. The cal-mag will buffer the pH enough for the nutrients and keep it from dropping too low in the root zone. I have found that pro mix works better with a constant low EC, instead of a high EC every other or few waterings. If you use a high EC, the pH in the root zone will drop from the excess Hydrogen ions produced from the roots. If the nutrient intake fluctuates, the Hydrogen ion will dis-charge from the roots and fluctuate too, causing a imbalance in the pH. I like to keep the nutrient intake low but constant, and monitor the intake pH more than anything else. If used correctly pro-mix is the best and easiest to use soil-less mix you can get. When compared to other substrates you can't beat the price. One large bale of Pro-Mix HP or BX when used correctly, will yield many pounds of super weed fast.

prune

Veteran
and also, Pro-mix tends to acidify as the lime they use isn't fast acting and not really suited for our quick ramp-up and short runs. combine that with what CP says above and its a Ca and K nightmare. it's best to run a higher ph on your nute solution to help buffer this tendency...

Tynehead Tom

Ditch the Calmag....... I bought a bottle 5 years ago and haven't touched it.

I primarily grow in sunshine mix 4 but this year due to covid, there was a temporary shortage of sunshine 4 in my area so had to buy Promix HP.
I stuck to my usual routine..... adding Dolomite (I use Dolopril) and Gypsum to the Promix before any plants go in it.
For a dry mix I use an 18 gallon tote filled with sunshine 4/Promix and I will add 3/4 cup Gypsum , 1/3 cup Dolopril , then wet it out with 1/2 strength mix of my regular food PH to 6.8.
I add 2.5mls granulated gypsum with every feed or watering
I maintain a 6.8 PH except when in rooting stage (6.3) and last 3 weeks of flower (6.3)
I don't use an EC meter..... should probably get one after 30 years but... I do use a PPM meter. Veg feed at 750 to 950 ppm depending on varietal needs and max feed at 1050ppm. I use the Lucas Formula with General Hydro Flora series.... 5ml micro/10ml bloom in veg, 8ml micro/16ml bloom in flower.
I applied this to my bottled nute fed light dep plants that were in grow bags this season in my greenhouse. They were grown in Promix HP and I just stuck to my usual program. They turned out awesome though I did have more leaves yellowing off earlier than i liked to see. I blame that on the very cold nights in last 4 weeks of flower.

try supplementing the "soil" with granulated gypsum and dolomite and running a higher PH than most do... (6.8) as well as adding the 2.5ml gypsum to each gallon of feed/water.

Latest posts

Latest posts