What's new

Help me nail-down strains I like...

NeWcS

I posted this on another forum but haven't really got the response I was hoping for. So I thought I'd throw it up here in hopes of getting the attention of a new group of people. Not really sure what the best forum is these days. Anyways:

I know, strange topic. Sounds ok in my head.

Anyways, I always hear people say things like 'Kush' is my favorite. Or 'OGs' are my fav. Is this to say that all kushes' have a distinct taste/smell? And all OGs have a distinct taste/smell? This question(s) would also pertain to hazes and diesels. Now, with diesel I think the name is to imply the strains taste/smell of diesel. Right? Right! I always assumed that.. So that ones easy assuming that's true.
Moving on..
I watched something on YT explaining the 4 types of cannabis terp profiles in the market.(may have been KJ) and I tend to follow the thought
-Fuel
-Floral
-Fruity
-Earthy

Fuel, gas, diesel, tar, baby shit, dog shit, egg farts. etc. These are the strains I thrive to grow and smoke. Strains that when someone walks in the room its like a bull of crap being smoked. I know this sounds gross and why would someone want something they're describing as smelling like shit or gas. But I think most growers and/or smokers know what I'm driving at.

**The second 'terp profile' I love is floral. And what I'm going to say is contradicting because I HATE when a chic wears so much perfume that I get an instant headache. I shouldn't be able to smell you unless I am hugging you. If you have swamp crotch take a shower and use some powder. Reminds me of old Grandmas..
With that said; I love weed that when I smoke it I get a bitter chemical taste like I got flowery perfume or some chics body spray in my mouth. Or the taste of a rose peddle(No idea how I can imagine that) Guess this would fall under the floral category.

I ask because I am constantly popping seeds trying to find these flavors. I have succeed over many years of growing. But mostly it just turns out to be more work then the payout. Sexing plants, picking the strongest, taking clones to hold over till you kow if its worth keeping. etc. I don't have the time, room or honestly, the care to any longer. So I am going to buy some clones. Albeit way out of my price range, it's something I need to do to get back on track. I killed the last batch I got from Calif.

When I left Colorado I wasn't able to take anything I had. So all my keeper strains were tossed.. Now, I do live in a mmj state and can get clones locally. However there is nothing that really gets me hard. Just kinda boring stuff. IMO. I work there so I have seen them all 1st hand. I know I can't go based on the strain name only.
I wanna get on the MAC1, dosido, gelato train. These new(relative) super frost-monster, resin railed on the lowers type strains you see on IG being concokted in N. America.

When I started growing(in CO.) I kinda pigeon-holed myself into only smoking the strains I grew from seed. Not leaving me the $ to try top shelf strains. I don't know that I've ever smoked real cookies, or glue or blue dream even. The strain they love to hate...

God damn I can ramble on. So anyways..what should I look for when buying clones that I want to meet the tastes i have described?
Like kush should *always taste like...?
Haze should always taste like...?
OGs should...
Any and all info is appreciated..

Something else I can do without: after-shave and cologne, and this disgusting shit that men put on their bodies. Just what I need in the elevator, some guy standing next to me smells like a fucking pine tree. I say go home and wash you smelly prick. You smell like the urinal in a Portuguese cat-house. God-damn guys are stupid. Guys are really fucking dumb. They think they’re going to get laid with this stuff you know. Oh yeah, they put it on at home thinking: oh boy, oh boy, I’ll get laid tonight. I’ll get laid tonight. You don’t get laid with green shit that comes out of a bottle okay? The only smell that’s going to help you get laid might be your own natural scent. You have pheromones. It’s a secondary sex characteristic. people in America, they’re all nervous about sex. They want to cover it up and disguise it. Guys in Europe, they know how to live. Guy gets in an elevator over there, he smells like a pile of dog shit, those people are sophisticated!
-George Carlin

*And I know that there are a million crosses and phenos of kush, og, haze, etc. And there is no way to nail down terp profiles based on a name. I'm just talking loosely about what is normally know about 'groups' of genetics.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How I would probably do it is go around to various vendors and smoke strains they grow in house that they also sell clones of. And go everywhere. Then make my selection from that.

I don't live in a free state, and have to grow from seed. Which I kind of actually prefer. Though I wouldn't turn down a clone of Original Glue or my holy grail strain, Trainwreck.

NeWcS

How I would probably do it is go around to various vendors and smoke strains they grow in house that they also sell clones of. And go everywhere. Then make my selection from that.

I don't live in a free state, and have to grow from seed. Which I kind of actually prefer. Though I wouldn't turn down a clone of Original Glue or my holy grail strain, Trainwreck.

I work at the only place within 200 miles that sells clones(That I know of). So it's hard for me to shop around. I have gone to using Strainly and IG.

Until a year or so ago I too preferred to grow my own strains from seeds.

I'm now more interested in selections that have been tested..
thx!

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I work at the only place within 200 miles that sells clones(That I know of). So it's hard for me to shop around. I have gone to using stainly and IG.

Until a year or so ago I too preferred to grow my own strains from seeds.

I'm now more interested in selections that have been tested..
thx!
Maybe because I don't live in a state where it's legal. I've had plenty of the hyped up strains and other than a couple true stand outs (Sunshine #4 and Original Glue), I've been completely underwhelmed by these "killer strains".

NeWcS

Maybe because I don't live in a state where it's legal. I've had plenty of the hyped up strains and other than a couple true stand outs (Sunshine #4 and Original Glue), I've been completely underwhelmed by these "killer strains".

It's just once I saw MAC1(and other such strains) I was like, 'I need some shit like that'. I know, I know, you cant go off of names and pics. I wanna grow nothing but resin railed out cultivars. lol, I have resisted using the term 'cultivar' for so long. This is the 1st time I've given in. lol
peace homie

mexweed

Veteran
sounds like chem D and chem sis are what you want

I've got some chem sis right now, when vaped it has a very unique clean citrusy floral almost soapy flavor, definitely reminded me of something, like maybe the smell of fresh breeze/fresh rain hand soap, some sweet lemon to it too, leaves a pungent sweet woody hashy flavor coating the throat, it has a pungent woody slightly citrusy scent with notes of halitosis funk

chem D turns up that funk and is a lot more poopy

NeWcS

sounds like chem D and chem sis are what you want

I've got some chem sis right now, when vaped it has a very unique clean citrusy floral almost soapy flavor, definitely reminded me of something, like maybe the smell of fresh breeze/fresh rain hand soap, some sweet lemon to it too, leaves a pungent sweet woody hashy flavor coating the throat, it has a pungent woody slightly citrusy scent with notes of halitosis funk

chem D turns up that funk and is a lot more poopy

Yeah man, Ive always wanted to grow some chem again. I ran some Chemdog from Greenhouse and it was bomb. Looks like GH doesn't even offer the strain any longer.

Nexus7

I don't get why people get so hung up about taste and/or flavor these days ...

Shouldn't the most important characteristic be the quality of the high or stone? I guess some people experience the same effects no matter what the strain?

Anyway both Dutch Passion - Glueberry OG and Philosopher seeds - Key lime pie x do-si-do had a significant amount of "gas" to them with Glueberry having a little more floral to it and klpxdosi more earthy. I don't have access to "cuts" so take my experiences with a grain of salt ;) Probably a whole heap of strains with more gas to them though ....

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Shouldn't the most important characteristic be the quality of the high or stone? I guess some people experience the same effects no matter what the strain?

*SNIP
or the medicinal value of a particular strain.

The smells are precursors to taste, and smell comes from all the goodies in the plant that are metabolic precursors to psychoactive chemicals. So in a very real sense, the aroma and taste of Cannabis do impact the quality of the experience and the kind of high you get.

I had some 25% sour diesel once that smelled like a burned tire, hated every second of the high from it. Smoked some 18% golden goat the next day and was f*cked out of my head all day in a cloud of bliss.

NeWcS

Its all about the terps for me. I don't care about THC levels. If I wanna go to the moon I'll dab.

But I hear what you're saying. Speedy high vs couch surfing. etc.

I had some 25% sour diesel once that smelled like a burned tire...
lol

That's what I like. My 'Tooth Glue'(Spaceaged Genetics) has a burnt rubber kinda diesel smell. I love the smells and frost level. Harvest in 3 days. :)

I got some 'Race Fuel' and 'Garlotti' cuts going. Should be gas..

sbeanonnamellow

Anyway both Dutch Passion - Glueberry OG and Philosopher seeds - Key lime pie x do-si-do had a significant amount of "gas" to them with Glueberry having a little more floral to it and klpxdosi more earthy. I don't have access to "cuts" so take my experiences with a grain of salt ;) Probably a whole heap of strains with more gas to them though ....

It's called the entourage effect. Terpenes directly modulate ones experience.

420empire

Veteran
Hey NewCs.

For florals this is the list:

- Nanda devi
- Flo
- Blue Dream
- kali mist (maybe SS vers. Western winds?)
- some afghans
- ring around rosie (maybe ??)

Foul etc. (No experince)

- tjeck a landrace vendor on some afghans
- Medman has some RKS crosses
- Kevin Jodrey is working on brining back some the real foul smelling RKS.

Hope you find What your looking for

Cheers

rolandomota

Veteran
Some all gas og by Humboldt seed company
I would try that just to see what all the fuss about gas strains is.
Because of where you live in the middle of nowhere it's not practical to seek clones your at the mercy of seed growers and others selection Wich seem not that good from what your saying.

Flower taste like a rose type smell but it's a taste I have had that it's nice I'm making f2 of one that will probably throw those phenos and an f1 that might have it too it's mt hood huckleberry by dynasty but that shits rare now especially because I had no male bit its crosses carry it I think the Mt hood Newberry I made has it

MindEater

I used to always ask myself "what do people mean by kushy?" I had my preconceptions, but coming online completely destroyed that. Some people say dirt. Dirt isn't a weed flavor, period. You're doing something wrong. Some people's description matches my description of the generic weed/hash flavor, the rich sugaryness of cured low grade or fresh high grade.

Most people mean OG when they say kushy,which to me is sour not sweet. Practically everything I ran across for years had a strong fuely component. I assumed that was due to the popularity of OG. Then I heard some coked out Humboldt weed lord on youtube say the real OG smells like hospital. I know what profile he's talking about but never associated it with OG. Same guy says he hates Jack Herer so we can ignore him. The "real OG" I got in Socal med days was cedar and sharp, it always reminded me of the purple center of a nice wet juniper. But in a sour candy form of course. Maybe that parts redundant because there's not much leaving any halfway decent growers cure jar that doesn't taste like sour candy of some sort.

It seems like many people can't describe smoke for shit, including many big names in the game. It's almost like people are afraid to describe flavors of weed, afraid of exposing their brain. I guess I understanding. It's brave to admit you like bitter flavors OP, it's equivalent to admitting you're a psychopath according to studies. But I don't find that to be a trait of any Cannabis that hasn't been adulterated. IPA is quite literally psychopath beer.. Normal people throw the fruit peels in the trash where they belong, not squeeze the nasty shit into a bottle.

Stinky strains... The majority of pre-cookie stock will produced amines, thiols and indoles with living soil. Chem is in so many strains, its the only reason growing from seed is tolerable. Soil is such a big influence I've always been able to tell organic bud by the grower way before identifying the strain. The same is true with many bottle growers but not in a good way. There's a collective in town that has used the same nutes for years and 90% of their bud smells like Vicks. Tastes like a 20 year old arm and hammer fridge pack though. Unless it's been sprayed with Serenade or neem then it smells and tastes like Serenade or neem. These are the type of people who don't like to talk about flavor typically,and there's alot of them I guess. I tried bringing it up to some of them, one chick in their group knew what was up, and showed me some bud, saying one word: "Maple". The shit had been sweetened with syrup.This chic apparently had a super power for what was rather obvious. Maybe I could get a job purchasing bud for dispensaries in the southwest since my nose works? Everyone's nose works wherever I come from..

If you like florals and poop strains, it's indoles your body is after. The only difference is the concentration. It could be best simplified by drawing an intersecting grid of lines with the aromas on either end of the line,the points of intersection being the perceived fragrance. The 4 box aroma model is insufficient in helping people understand this. As is the focus on terpenes, the class of molecules many of us purposely break down through curing to produce a better tasting, stronger smelling, more enticing, more potent, healthier vapor, where the only 'terps' are terpenoidal. But you know, curing is a myth, cuz "terpenes tests bro!".