What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phosphate solubilizing bacteria (PSB)

Vandenberg

Phosphate solubilizing bacteria (PSB) are beneficial bacteria capable of solubilizing inorganic phosphorus from insoluble compounds.
The Phosphorous solubilization ability of rhizosphere microorganisms is considered to be one of the most important traits associated with plant phosphate nutrition.

It is generally accepted that the mechanism of mineral phosphate solubilization by PSB strains is associated with the release of low molecular weight organic acids, through which their hydroxyl and carboxyl groups chelate the cations bound to phosphate, thereby converting it into soluble forms.

phosphorous (P) is one of the major essential macronutrients for plants and is applied to soil in the form of phosphate fertilizers.
However a large portion of soluble inorganic phosphate which is applied to the soil as chemical fertilizer is immobilized rapidly and becomes unavailable to plants.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphate_solubilizing_bacteria

I recently discovered and am currently using a product called "Mammoth P" that has made a good thing much better. Expensive stuff too be sure, but you only use .6 ml. per gallon or, extended, 6 ml. Per ten gallons.
I've read that this product is superior and differentiated from other microbial biostimulants because it is a microbial consortia that was specifically developed using a functional trait selection platform and has been rigorously tested (by PHD degreed scientists at Colorado State University) to mobilize P and other micronutrients for plant uptake.
MAMMOTH P was specifically tested and is proven to increase yield by 16% on cannabis across all management practices (coco, hydro, peat, etc) and nutrient lines in the bloom cycle.

Happy flowering ya'll
Vandenberg :)

Vandenberg

Phosphate solubilizing bacteria and their role in plant growth promotion

Phosphate solubilizing bacteria and their role in plant growth promotion

The use of phosphate solubilizing bacteria as inoculants simultaneously increases P uptake by the plant and crop yield.
Strains from the genera Pseudomonas, Bacillus and Rhizobium are among the most powerful phosphate solubilizers.

The principal mechanism for mineral phosphate solubilization is the production of organic acids, and acid phosphatases play a major role in the mineralization of organic phosphorous in soil. Several phosphatase-encoding genes have been cloned and characterized and a few genes involved in mineral phosphate solubilization have been isolated.
Therefore, genetic manipulation of phosphate-solubilizing bacteria to improve their ability to improve plant growth may include cloning genes involved in both mineral and organic phosphate solubilization, followed by their expression in selected rhizobacterial strains.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Phosphate solubilizing bacteria (PSB) are beneficial bacteria capable of solubilizing inorganic phosphorus from insoluble compounds.
The Phosphorous solubilization ability of rhizosphere microorganisms is considered to be one of the most important traits associated with plant phosphate nutrition.

It is generally accepted that the mechanism of mineral phosphate solubilization by PSB strains is associated with the release of low molecular weight organic acids, through which their hydroxyl and carboxyl groups chelate the cations bound to phosphate, thereby converting it into soluble forms.

phosphorous (P) is one of the major essential macronutrients for plants and is applied to soil in the form of phosphate fertilizers.
However a large portion of soluble inorganic phosphate which is applied to the soil as chemical fertilizer is immobilized rapidly and becomes unavailable to plants.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphate_solubilizing_bacteria

I recently discovered and am currently using a product called "Mammoth P" that has made a good thing much better. Expensive stuff too be sure, but you only use .6 ml. per gallon or, extended, 6 ml. Per ten gallons.
I've read that this product is superior and differentiated from other microbial biostimulants because it is a microbial consortia that was specifically developed using a functional trait selection platform and has been rigorously tested (by PHD degreed scientists at Colorado State University) to mobilize P and other micronutrients for plant uptake.
MAMMOTH P was specifically tested and is proven to increase yield by 16% on cannabis across all management practices (coco, hydro, peat, etc) and nutrient lines in the bloom cycle.

Happy flowering ya'll

So, are you here to advertise for the scam that is Mammoth-P? You can throw all the nutes you want into a medium and the plants will only use a certain amount. The high P and PK booster myths have been debunked more times than most can count.

h.h.

Veteran
Mammoth-P is a good product in my view. However there are much cheaper ways of promoting life in your soil.

40degsouth

Hi everyone l hope you’re all well.
It seems to me that statements like this, “It is generally accepted that the mechanism of mineral phosphate solubilization by PSB strains is associated with the release of low molecular weight organic acids, through which their hydroxyl and carboxyl groups chelate the cations bound to phosphate, thereby converting it into soluble forms”,
is just a very sciency wiency way of saying,
certain bacteria have the ability to live within the exudates (low molecular weight organic acids) created by the plant (and possibly, certain michrhozial fungi which we in the sciency world know only function effectively in a low(er) phosphorus environment because they stop developing and functioning in a high phosphorus, soil atmosphere and as a post script, l believe there are only three know species that perform this role in symbiosis with cannabis. It is believed these fungi perform many functions with the plant, through it’s roots, including water transfer and in this case, the solubilisation of phosphorus into a plant available form that is transferred straight into the roots, through a complex connection between the plant and the fungi themselves) in the root zone (rhizospere) which is the perfect environment created for them to thrive and multiply. This process is not yet fully understood and new developments and understanding are coming to light regularly.
What is understood, however, is the cycle through which this phosphorus becomes unlocked within the soil. In order for this element to become plant available it must first be ingested and assimilated into the bodies of larger organisms and further broken down by microorganisms. In this form it is still unavailable until bacteria consume the bodies of the micro heard. (through which their hydroxyl and carboxyl groups chelate the cations bound to phosphate, thereby converting it into soluble forms.)
IT IS GENERALLY ACCEPTED * (not a good phrase to start any scientific document or statement because it puts the onus back on the reader to do the authors research and referencing......but anyways this is only an extract of a bigger document, l assume) *that plants have the ability to change the exudates, they excrete, through their roots, to manipulate the very bacteria living within the root zone, over the course of their development, which in turn feeds the plant itself in a very specific way throughout the course of its life and for particular nutritional needs. It’s also believed that plants may have the ability to change localised ph around the roots through the same process.
These bacteria need very precise conditions to flourish such as, ph, temperature, moisture, medium, nutrient availability (particularly phosphorus, in this case and all sorts of other sciency wiency stuff) in order to thrive and an imbalance of any one of these factors can, potentially, retard or kill off these extremely sensitive microbes such as.......(l’ve got no idea but these should be mentioned, somewhere in the document in order to make the reader aware of the products short comings in certain applications or environments so you can make an educated decision as to weather or not this will work for you at your very specific grow so we don’t waste our money chasing a carrot)
(If l was writing an educational paper, I’d go on to say)
There are many organic imputs and processes that can make phosphorus available to plants, both quickly and over time. Korean Natural Farming has a very easy process to turn raw bone into plant available phosphorus and the finished product can be used as a foliar or root drench. Bone meal itself is an amendment high in phosphorus but being an organic input, takes about six weeks, in a biologically active soil, to start becoming available and even this time frame can depend on many factors such as temperature, moisture, particle size and medium.
Other high phosphate, fast(er) acting, inputs could be bat guano or soft rock phosphate that can be applied halfway through January in the southern hemisphere or August in the north, to aid in uptake during flowering, depending on that particular plants nutritional needs, eg, auto verses photo period plants. Application rates will obviously depend upon existing phosphorus stores within the particular soil you’re working with but more importantly the specific nutritional needs of that particular plant.
One other overlooked, plant available, form of phosphate is in the urine of pigs. The majority of phosphorus ingested is filtered via the kidneys and passed, making pig bedding and manure a very attractive amendment to any garden.
It just so happens that humans share a very similar body design to porcines and therefore we also pass plant available phosphate in our urine. This is one reason why some countries are starting to harvest people’s urine and process it back into phosphate to begin the cycle again. The second reason is that the world is running out of easily harvested phosphate so other sources need to be explored.
Over application of any amendment can unbalance your soil and effect plant development and beneficials within the soil atmosphere in an extremely complex and extraordinarily sciency wiency way. So as we say around these parts, “less is quite often more.”
Not sure if this is going to help anyone but l had a bit of fun writing it,
Cheers,
P.S. Off topic a bit regarding biology but phosphorus can easily be locked up in high and low ph soil. It can bind to calcium, aluminium and iron and is the reason why l like to shoot at a ph of 6.5 in my soils.
From memory, heavy handed applications of potassium can also lock out phosphorus.
You inspired me to put a bit extra into this one SuperBadGrower with your very much appreciated comment.:grouphug:

Last edited:

Azeotrope

Veteran
Mammoth-P is a good product in my view. However there are much cheaper ways of promoting life in your soil.

Mammoth P may actually do what the marketing team claims. However, a ripe and diverse living organic grow will outperform it. You can have all the available P imaginable and the plants will only take up what they can. Dumping some major $$ on a bottled product to chase the old "high P" myth is silly at best.

Yes P is critical in plant metabolism but, if a certain growing method/style is not making it easily available to the plants, then why the hell is that style being used?

Grapefruitroop

Thanks for the good explaination 90deg
It seems that thers should be plenty of PSBs in the good old ACT...
Those bacterias are everywere, in the air and in the soil...

Vandenberg

It works quite well for me in my "Syn-ganic" garden.
Call me a silly goose but apparently I like to slap the easy button as often as possible in my current state of old age. I like easy, alot. :)
Different strokes for different folks.

Happy gardening y'all

Vandenberg

Simply put, readers digest version is that PSB are free-living bacteria that break down inorganic soil phosphates to simpler forms that enable uptake by plants.

My hope and wish is that it likes to digest the high phosphorous bat guano in my soil mix concoctions.

"Bro science" has always ruled in the pot growing game.
Having available very relevant, duplicatable, scientific research performed by PHD brain-iac researcher scientist types is new and very, very welcome to the cannabis game.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Has there been any experiments or soils tests to see how long the 4 microbes that are in mammoth P last in a media?
I would be interested to know how long it hangs around in a true living soil, and in a coco and perilite mix for synthetic ferts.

Could it be added to compost in small amounts that would be beneficial? Would it stay in the compost long enough to be useful in a compost topdress? Could a grower cultivate this in compost to usable level CFUs? I think I remember a thread about trying to cultivate mamma p in a aact.

h.h.

Veteran
Has there been any experiments or soils tests to see how long the 4 microbes that are in mammoth P last in a media?
I would be interested to know how long it hangs around in a true living soil, and in a coco and perilite mix for synthetic ferts.

Could it be added to compost in small amounts that would be beneficial? Would it stay in the compost long enough to be useful in a compost topdress? Could a grower cultivate this in compost to usable level CFUs? I think I remember a thread about trying to cultivate mamma p in a aact.

https://www.kisorganics.com/blogs/news/how-to-maximize-your-mammoth-p-application

Vandenberg

I've read that they developed Mammoth P by screening billions of soil microorganisms to identify those that most efficiently release bound phosphorus in soil and other growing media, and make it available to plants.
Using this proprietary trait selection platform ultimately resulted in a consortium of soil bacteria that are up to 30x more effective than microbial communities found in nature at releasing bound soil Phosphorous for plant absorption.

"Dr. Colin Bell" is one of the university of Colorado @ Boulder PHD researchers that developed product has several discussions with various folks available on YouTube that cover a lot a ground on specifics of this micro-organism product.

Happy Gardening

"

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've read that they developed Mammoth P by screening billions of soil microorganisms to identify those that most efficiently release bound phosphorus in soil and other growing media, and make it available to plants.
Using this proprietary trait selection platform ultimately resulted in a consortium of soil bacteria that are up to 30x more effective than microbial communities found in nature at releasing bound soil Phosphorous for plant absorption.

"Dr. Colin Bell" is one of the university of Colorado @ Boulder PHD researchers that developed product has several discussions with various folks available on YouTube that cover a lot a ground on specifics of this micro-organism product.

Happy Gardening

"
If seen/heard Colin on a bunch of podcasts. He's been on Dude Grows Show several times.
Seems like a smart dude, with a passion for the plant