What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED boards: lower power for closer canopy? Help needed

Wild Seed

The advice on LED QB-style boards/strips is to keep them high (~45cm) above the canopy and initially run them at reduced capacity. Yet there are lots of growers getting good results running boards up close.

So is dimming the answer to height issues?

Aiming to upgrade old bloom setup (SILs) ready for some tropical Sativa (top/lst).
Space is 2’ x 3’ x 3.5’. One panel (~150w) is recommended for this area.

Will the spread of 1 panel be wide enough with the canopy so close?
Or intense enough for the whole space if it has to be dimmed?

Or is it best for coverage to buy a larger panel to fill the ceiling with light (200-250w) and run it at about 50%?

The idea being to allow for any taller tops to get closer without burning by evening out equivalent wattage over a wider surface, while making sure there’s no fan leaves or fall off shading the edges.
Any advice?

Dion

Spread is the answer
But pre-made lights don't do spread as shipping is expensive

Larger panel

Closer to plants

10cm is plenty of headroom really

Hate to shill but I am a well known mber here and am currently prototyping some solutions to this gap in the market

Would be more than happy to sort U out

Fixer

Strip lights and lots of them. I running Forever Green Indoors Uniformity Pro. 640 watts of LED strip fixture about 30 cm above the canopy. I haven't dimmed them. It doesn't seem necessary. The fixture measures about 1.2 meters square. Lots of spread.

Dion

Strip lights and lots of them. I running Forever Green Indoors Uniformity Pro. 640 watts of LED strip fixture about 30 cm above the canopy. I haven't dimmed them. It doesn't seem necessary. The fixture measures about 1.2 meters square. Lots of spread.

Sounds cool

U got a link to this light?

roybart

I am running Daylight Pure white with 6000K color Temperature LED 15 K Lumens using 110 watts each measured at the driver.
200 LED cost $44.00
2/3 driver cost $44.00 (300 watt driver)
2 heat sinks (cookie tray) $15.00
Misc hardware $5Sure maybe I can find something cheaper however.. My needs are

12 volt DC <- going to solar soon my sun number is 93/100

Ability to upgrade:Once I find some Far red strips I can add them

Modular: Lose an LED or two easy to replace. 1 tray takes 100 Modules(3LED)

Extensible : Just happens than my new grow bins are the same size as the trays.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
This girl needs a trim but you can see the tray overhead..

Her sister / cousin after a trim

I am running 12 x 12 with DWC and a bubbler.. Leaf temp is 77 and the top of the tray is 84

My idea is about less watts and closer canopy management.
I think LED companies need to think a bit more out of the box. Like can the LED be on a different angle, maybe 90 degree instead of 120 degree.

Can every other LED be moved 15 degrees off the heat sink

| \ | / | this is 45 degrees but imagine its 15. | would be flat on the heatsink

.. Will this create diffusion without light loss??

Wild Seed

Thanks everyone.
So don’t worry much about dimming or recommended heights, and the more spread the better.

Cheers Dion. I might take you up on that offer.
I’ve basically been trying to decide between yours and the 3+ series R-spec from budgetgrowlights, which looks on point, for a price. No PM yet, but let me know your price to add some distributed reds (630, 660, 780) and I’ll get in contact.

Still considering DIY strips, but haven’t the time (or tools) to do a top job, for now. Might attempt something similar with a aluminium baking tray for some side lighting. Definitely like the modular design to repair/upgrade easily.
Diode/Lens angle has always been an issue. Will draw up some design ideas soon.

pretty much any height recommendation without a ppfd sensor is bull unless you buy the exact same model and run at exact same settings by whoever is providing the suggestion and has measured it themselves with the sensor.

Wild Seed

Anyone know the authenticity of the Samsung sunboard strips from eBay/growdaddy?

They're a good price with a good spectral range available. Saw what looks to be the same thing on AliBaba.

@ stinkydinky That's a very good point, and exactly what concerned me about the typical recommended heights

Dion

Anyone know the authenticity of the Samsung sunboard strips from eBay/growdaddy?

They're a good price with a good spectral range available. Saw what looks to be the same thing on AliBaba.

@ stinkydinky That's a very good point, and exactly what concerned me about the typical recommended heights

Hi mate sorry I missed this

Best pm me for a custom order, on average for adding in spectrum on a seperate dimming driver it's about a buck per watt with me

The sunboards are questionable

I've seen them too

So the Reds and far reds and blue are epistar chips

And the "Samsung" diodes are from China, even though some of the diodes he uses arnt available in china

They are ordered in from Alibaba like the rest of eBay lights it seems

Cheers

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
pretty much any height recommendation without a ppfd sensor is bull unless you buy the exact same model and run at exact same settings by whoever is providing the suggestion and has measured it themselves with the sensor.
IMHO, it is akin to a doctor without a stethoscope. You can't diagnose shit. Once again IMHO, it is as important as the other tool we use. Takes all the guess work out of it :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Latest posts

Latest posts