What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dehumidifier to reduce heat levels

superx

Veteran
Hey guys and gals,

Humidity levels in my tent over the past few days have giving me great cause for concern as i am 5 weeks into flower, I will be adding a dehumidifier to get on top of the situation and rectify as soon as..

With my temps been much higher than usual as well due to the recent warmer weather can I expect the temps to maybe come down by a degrees or two?

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What the others said... a dehuey produces heat.
I'm in the same situation at the moment... 80% rh and I'm drying hanging whole plants hahaha.
I have the dehuey in the room and the mobile AC unit blowing through the door into the room. A pretty ghetto solution but I can't lose the harvest as I'm almost out!!!
So screw the electricity bill for a week or two ;-)

Funny enough, never had any problems flowering any of my strains out in high rh...

CC

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
No,the de-huey will warm the air that passes through it by 4/5 degrees.Have had the same issues over the last week.It has cooled down now but the amount of rain and humidity at 100% has my de-huey struggling to keep it under 60%

No, unfortunately dehumidifiers produce warm air as a product. If anything, it will increase your temperature.
I solved that problem, I suck from the top of the tent and discharge to my grow room via a carbon filter that sits on top of the tent. This is all conducted via an RH Inkbird controller.

superx

Veteran
Thanks for the input everyone,

I also suck from the top and the bottom.
I have two 10inch Etaline extractors pulling through mountain air scrubbers these are controlled
By sms com.

My environment is usually point perfect its a ocd thing after all these years.

All my ballasts are running at 650 Watts hps, I'm thinking of running the humidifier and then reducing the watts on some of the ballasts down to 400 to compasate for the rise in temps from the humidifier .
Fuck these summer temps, next year I'm going on vacation instead.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks for the input everyone,

I also suck from the top and the bottom.
I have two 10inch Etaline extractors pulling through mountain air scrubbers these are controlled
By sms com.

My environment is usually point perfect its a ocd thing after all these years.

All my ballasts are running at 650 Watts hps, I'm thinking of running the humidifier and then reducing the watts on some of the ballasts down to 400 to compasate for the rise in temps from the humidifier .
Fuck these summer temps, next year I'm going on vacation instead.
That is why I no longer grow from end May to end of Aug here. When I look at the summer we are having here this year. I am a wise old man. The remainder of the year, my tent is pretty much dialed in on point, with minimal expense. It took me one summer to realize, phoque this! Taking the summer off if a good thing. I further plan to reduce my grows to 1 per year. I don't need more than that, now that my medicine chest is near capacity.

superx

Veteran
You make perfect sense switcher,

This wise old man needs to get wiser and reduce the amount of grows per year, but obviously up the numbers...

Enjoy your break...

chilliwilli

Waterboy
What the other say it will rise the temp a little bit. I'm lucky and have a lung room so i can place the dehumidifier outside of the growroom. So the air from the growspace is sucked in an other room where its treated before going back through a third room.
Since i grow in a room and not in a tent the massive walls already help to keep temps down a little bit. Have done this with hps but now with led it should be no problem to grow all year long.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
What the other say it will rise the temp a little bit. I'm lucky and have a lung room so i can place the dehumidifier outside of the growroom. So the air from the growspace is sucked in an other room where its treated before going back through a third room.
Since i grow in a room and not in a tent the massive walls already help to keep temps down a little bit. Have done this with hps but now with led it should be no problem to grow all year long.

Not so fast :) As previously stated... what does/is your local climate doing. I have only grown with LEDs and too much of a PITA to maintain "the" proper environment for the girls during the summer months, not to mention the added expense. That being said, I don't need a third run per year.

Once upon a time, folks used to use pen and paper to figure things out. e.g. What are you trying to accomplish? What are the obstacles to make this happen etc... IOW, something like a pros and cons sheet. Sometimes it is the "simplest" things that provide positive results.

I never had my dehuey in the tent (no room, (3x3x6')). So I used it outside of the tent. Sucking from the top, discharging back into the bottom. I had a bitch of a time trying to maintain proper temps/VPD. Manual on dehuey states expects temp to rise 6-8 deg F. Not a good thing! So I discharged the hot moist air via a charcoal filter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	18018980
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	18018981

When that unit "bit the dust", no biggy as the unit was what I had on hand at the time, I simply replaced it with an inline fan... (activated by the RH controller) because the object here is to remove "the" hot humid air, via a charcoal filter, for a fraction (significant fraction) of the cost. I have re-acquired a dehuey that serves for household purposes only.

Click image for larger version  Name:	inline fan bloom.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	18018982

Yesterday, I ran into the problem of insufficient humidity. RH was at 20% in the house. So I set to work my "home" humidifier (located in the den, where I grow) being used as a lung room. I set the sucker up and ambient RH (den) is 40-45%. Dialed in the exhaust fan, and we are back to normal this am. Sometimes I can get away without running a huey, until my winter run.

That unit that looks like an old style radiator, is a radiant oil filled heater Way more efficient than a resistance type heater (which is either on or off, and doesn't represent a fire hazard), that supplements temps during the winter nights here, if needed activated by the "heat leg" of the temp controller. When the unit is turn's off, residual heat continues to radiate/heat the room. The cooling leg is hooked up to the AC. If and when required during late spring out here Lights on are 10pm to 10am.

I have a heavy canvas that isolates the den from the rest of the basement. Because of forced hot air heating, the added humidity finds its way into the remaining of the house, but it is the "den's RH that dictates when the unit is running or not.

That is my interpretation of controlling/how to control your environment. In the tent, I use a cool mist humidifier, I go through roughly 2/3 to 3/4gal/day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF0001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.9 KB ID:	18018980
9 inch foot print. Tucks away neatly in the corner.

In a sealed room, all this goes out the window! As tweaking is done via the amount of air I exhaust/hour. The whole idea behind this set up, is minimal use of power sources. e.g don't raise the units (RH, temp) you are trying to control, unnecessarily:) Hope this helps :tiphat:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
My main problem is that the whole place has little to no air exchange. It was build in a time where over isolating a new building was common so it will safe u heatingcosts. For that reason i have to run a dehumi in wintertime or ventilate every other hour when growing or the windows will get condensation:no:.
The good insulation has also some positve effects. with 480w led for flower and 300w for veg i can warm the place and the heating only has to kick in when its really cold at night.

Three Berries

Humid air holds considerably more heat. So as you dry the air the high trigger temp will spike/cycle faster if there is some cooling control.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
My main problem is that the whole place has little to no air exchange. It was build in a time where over isolating a new building was common so it will safe u heatingcosts. For that reason i have to run a dehumi in wintertime or ventilate every other hour when growing or the windows will get condensation:no:.
The good insulation has also some positve effects. with 480w led for flower and 300w for veg i can warm the place and the heating only has to kick in when its really cold at night.

What I gather from that statement is... you have what they called in the day an R2000 home. If so, I don't know where you are from but code here states all R2000 homes are to be fitted with an air exchanger, also known as a "Venmar" (coy name in the day). It preheats cold incoming air while exhausting hot humid air. The suction is normally outside the bathroom (bungalow)

chilliwilli

Waterboy
What I gather from that statement is... you have what they called in the day an R2000 home. If so, I don't know where you are from but code here states all R2000 homes are to be fitted with an air exchanger, also known as a "Venmar" (coy name in the day). It preheats cold incoming air while exhausting hot humid air. The suction is normally outside the bathroom (bungalow)

My place was build to early for that. So no proper air exchange. I have thought about getting an air exchanger but the dehumi was the cheaper solution. For the air exchanger i would need a different balcony door whats about double the price as the dehumi not counting the exchange system.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
My place was build to early for that. So no proper air exchange. I have thought about getting an air exchanger but the dehumi was the cheaper solution. For the air exchanger i would need a different balcony door whats about double the price as the dehumi not counting the exchange system.

My original house I bought, was built circa '76 and I had constant condensation on my windows. Friend of mine taught me about the Venmar (he had a similar house and no issues). I had just moved in and painted the entire place. He says the only down side is, that you will see all your gyprock screws, as the gyprock sinks by giving up its humidity/moisture. Best investment I ever made :)

zilm

No, il de-huey riscalderà l'aria che lo attraversa di 4/5 gradi. Ho avuto gli stessi problemi nell'ultima settimana. Ora si è raffreddato ma la quantità di pioggia e umidità al 100% ha il mio de-huey lottando per mantenerlo sotto il 60%