Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Outdoor soil mix

Thread Title Search
Outdoor soil mix Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2020, 12:58 AM #1
Treevly

Treevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud of
Outdoor soil mix

I am reappraising my soil mix for nexr year because I wish to make it lighter in weight to carry. This probably means using less black earth and more composted sheep manure and more light media, i.e. moss, vermiculite & perlite, etc..

Questions: (1) What is the maximum non-feeding media you use, that is, peat etc..? (2) What is the maximum organic feeding stuff, i.e. compost of various types, humus, etc.? Would 20% sheep manure compost be too high?

I'm trying to aim in the direction of light media + compost, or as close as I can get.

Thanks
Treevly is offline Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 04:39 PM #2
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant future
I like 1/3 fluff (peat), 1/3 compost or manures, 1/3 drainage material like perlite or pumace.

I don't think vermiculite has any place in a soil mix.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:47 PM #3
smokinfat024

smokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the roughsmokinfat024 is a jewel in the rough
I need to add fluff next year this is my 4th year running the same soil without adding to it. I had some issues last year with the way the plants looked so I watered the hell out of my pots before planting this year. Everything looks fine now but I’m def gonna lighten the mix next year. The soil is very heavy almost like clay right now.
smokinfat024 is offline Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 08:34 PM #4
Treevly

Treevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
I think that whether or not vermiculite is appropriate depends on the climate, therefore the weather, the drainage of the soil in which one is planting, and how often you can get to water it.
Treevly is offline Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 11:45 PM #5
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
I like 1/3 fluff (peat), 1/3 compost or manures, 1/3 drainage material like perlite or pumace.

I agree!

A good approach to just about anything in life is to hope for the best,
but be prepared for the worst.

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is online now Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 11:46 PM #6
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treevly View Post
I think that whether or not vermiculite is appropriate depends on the climate, therefore the weather, the drainage of the soil in which one is planting, and how often you can get to water it.
Vermiculite turns to mush after a spell = less available oxygen to your roots. But, please feel free to use it if you want.. Your winging everything else!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,

Old 08-14-2020, 12:16 AM #7
Treevly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher56 View Post
Vermiculite turns to mush after a spell = less available oxygen to your roots. But, please feel free to use it if you want.. Your winging everything else!
I don't need your permission. At long distance, you have quite the volume.

I must remember not to view this forum with javascript disabled as the 'ignore' function no longer works. Antisocials reappear.
Treevly is offline Quote

Old 08-14-2020, 03:26 AM #8
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Your curve is only as steep as you make it!

Old 08-14-2020, 03:34 AM #9
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
I like using Pro-Mix as my base and add manure, bone meal, fish emulsion, bat guano, greensand, etc. when growing outdoors.

Terpene Amplification
troutman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 AM #10
Treevly

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I like using Pro-Mix as my base and add manure, bone meal, fish emulsion, bat guano, greensand, etc. when growing outdoors.
Thanks for that - and for introducing me to greensand! I'd never heard of it. Your mixture sounds very good, but I can't use bone meal or fish or blood meal because my gig features about 3 coyotes per square yard and they dig that stuff up pronto, probably before I get home, so I have to work around those ingredients. In spring I hope to use ProMix and composted sheep manure and not much else, but I'm leaving the last 10% open for consideration. Question: how much (%) of your base ProMix do you use, and which version of ProMix?
Treevly is offline Quote