What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Toxic in law thread?

KONY

Veteran
Mother in Law is planning on moving 30 minutes away next month. For the past 12 years she has been 4 hours away and has only visited once because shes lazy. This is starting to really stress me out. She means well, but is ignorant and toxic. She lacks the ability to be proactive for anything...everything is an emotional reaction. She is always a victim or not good enough.

I used to just deal with it (ignore it), or rather I didn't really care much about her toxicity because it didnt effect me, but now we have a toddler I am much more concerned. I don't want the toddler picking up these bad habits. Sure it will be nice to have a local baby sitter, but It doesn't seem worth it because of how toxic she is. I can't think of any good qualities she will teach the baby besides not being materialistic. I suppose I should focus on that.

I realize everyone, or rather a majority of people have issues with their inlaws, i'm curious how everyone deals with it with children? It could just be my ego or unconscious mind, however I feel my MIL is different, or exceptionally ignorant than most. She lacks the ability to communicate effectively, she lies to make her points and hears things that are not actually said. The whole family has this 'feature' though, for example last year I was stressed out and said this is fucking retarded, referencing the situation I was currently in- one of the in laws heard it from upstairs and assumed I told the baby she was fucking retarded!

Two totally different things but people hear what they want too. The baby wasn't even in the same room, but in law heard it from a different room and just assumed the worse because of their past history of being abused.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i loved my mother in law. wish my wife was more like her, lol. i hate it for you. toxic people should stay to themselves (or die) & not spread shit around. "victims" gotta seek "sympathy" i guess. if my MIL had been as you describe, i would not have let her babysit. when she carped about it, i would tell her why in a way she could understand. children do not deserve that sort of shit. hell, most ADULTS aint got that coming...

Amynamous

Don’t even think of getting between your wife and her mother.
Let your wife handle her mom.
Everyone ends up an emotional hot mess in adulthood...it’s what childhood is for. haha.

imiubu

Everyone ends up an emotional hot mess in adulthood...it’s what childhood is for. haha.
No one leaves childhood w/ out deep emotional scars. No matter how we are raised, it's just a fact (brain science). How we choose to behave once we reach the age of reasoning, is on us as adults. We have the ability to control emotional reactions. I repeat; we have the ability to control our emotional reactions. We can control ourselves. Sadly though, few of us are taught how.

mackdx

I wouldn't piss on my MIL if she was on fire. Horrible, self righteous narcissistic woman.

Fortunately, my wife feels the same way

rolandomota

Veteran
I say kiss ass why not besides mil can shoot your ass if you screw up ... I think I been watching too many crime shows

Sunshineinabag

Honey......

Deal with her please.......my mantra to my girl:groupwave:, then again my dad tried screwing many of my gfs lol

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Buy a piano. Then every time your mother-in-law calls and says she's coming over..

Say something like: NICE! I need help moving the piano upstairs (or downstairs), it's only about 1200 lbs so not bad. YOU AND ME, GIRLFRIEND!

And if that doesn't work, figure out her favourite songs and invite her over to listen as you cover them shits, singing badly and playing the piano, also badly. Do it every time she comes over, it'll work eventually.

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts