Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Gooey, gummy, sticky...what happened?

Thread Title Search
Gooey, gummy, sticky...what happened? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2020, 07:24 PM #1
Substitute

Substitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura about
Gooey, gummy, sticky...what happened?

Before it was legal(a long while back)...I used to get weed that was nice and gooey and sticky and gummy. Nowadays, that it's legal, all I get is this perfectly dehydrated and 'cured' at 62 percent relative humidity sponge weed. I call it sponge weed cause it's always spongy...not gooey and sticky.

I don't want perfectly dehydrated 62 percent humidity weed with that dumb packet in it...I want the old gummy stuff.
Substitute is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:45 PM #2
White Beard

White Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivor
Modern business happened: it needs to ship well, look good in the bag/jar; it needs to be dried *fast* but not too much (so, packets instead of curing), it needs a popular name.

Cut enough corners & all you have is a photo of what you want

Don’t vote for rich people - they’re not going to vote for YOU...
——————
“You never see the lies that *YOU* believe, you know you have been captured,
Still you feel so civilized...”

I’m not a fool, but I can recognize one
——————
Letting my freak flag fly!
White Beard is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:06 PM #3
flylowgethigh
grassyhopper

flylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivor
Maybe has something to do with the way the dope is handled. Break open the tric heads and the dope will get sticky and smelly, for a while.

Breaking up a vac pack of fresh dope is the best smell, cause that vac process is hell on the heads. A lot of trics get released.

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87
flylowgethigh is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:13 PM #4
White Beard

White Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivorWhite Beard is a survivor
Falls under “modern business” for me, but I’ll remember to include it specifically - thanks for the reminder.

Don’t vote for rich people - they’re not going to vote for YOU...
——————
“You never see the lies that *YOU* believe, you know you have been captured,
Still you feel so civilized...”

I’m not a fool, but I can recognize one
——————
Letting my freak flag fly!
White Beard is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 09:12 PM #5
Substitute

Substitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura about
Could it be that commercial weed that is everywhere, isn't as fresh as off the vine? It spends way longer in facilities, packaging, etc...before it gets to me?

Maybe the older black market weed that I used to get was more fresh....and hence more gooey.

Found a related article: https://honestmarijuana.com/sticky-weed/

They’re Both Dried

"Don’t get us wrong, both sticky weed and dry weed are both dried — meaning they’ve both been cut from the stem of the cannabis plant, hung in a cool, dry place, and allowed to…dry (the beginnings of the decarboxylation process). The dry weed may have been left hanging longer, or it may have had fewer trichomes (or less resin) to begin with. The fact that it’s dry and not sticky doesn’t mean that it won’t get you righteously high. It just means that the dry weed might have a harsher smoke or that it might not have a full, tasty flavor like the sticky weed."

Gooey, sticky weed rules.

Last edited by Substitute; 08-06-2020 at 10:03 PM..
Substitute is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:26 PM #6
prune

prune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to all
Gooey, gummy and sticky require a certain light intensity - actually quite high intensity in fact and much, much higher than is needed to grow healthy dark green plants.
So now you have non-stoner corporate bean-counters running the meters, which light levels do you think they run?
prune is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 PM #7
q3corn

q3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really niceq3corn is just really nice
When I got super sticky weed I always thought it was just pulled off the drying rack. And when you rolled a joint of it and it wouldn't hold a cherry if you didn't continuously puff on it. Once they sat around in a bag for a week everything got a little drier and it would actually smoke well.
q3corn is offline Quote

Old 08-06-2020, 11:52 PM #8
MindEater

MindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really niceMindEater is just really nice
You used to drive to the hood to get weed. Now your drive Tim Cooks iPot store. Hydro doesn't sell in the hood. Hydro sells at the iPot store.

Not all mersh weed is hydro tho. Commercial soil growers don't have an understanding of quality. "You are what you eat" applies to plants. Feed the microbes fats, minerals and proteins, and the plant will have the building blocks for better metabolites profiles.

People are focused on stupid things like thc and terpenes, and pay zero attention to metabolites that actually contribute to good sticky weed. Most Thc-obsessed professional pot growers cannot even name the fatty acid that synthesizes Thc, or even hold a basic understanding of enzymes, and that is beyond sad.

Since professional pot growers look at everything backwards, most large operations put their focus/plant count on pheno hunting rather than having solid strains and focusing on quality grow methodologies. What these people don't grasp is how Cannabis became diverse in the first place: epigenetics. You can create new metabolites by using different microbes and food sources,and the plants will pass them on as long as the food source they've adapted to are present in some amount. Microbes and their food sources are even passed through seeds.

Flushing is now a myth, along with curing and proper harvesting technique. Excess ferts at the end kills the sticky. Bud is dehydrated, because dispensary customers have no idea that weed should be cured,and they prefer to keep it that way. Excess nitrogen prevents curing from ever taking place, I guarantee you the people selling you sticky gooey weed from the trailer park didn't use Boveda packs,because they didn't have excess nitrogen in the bud. Motor oil and candle wax don't evaporate at room temp, but water does.. Water is a replacement for oils in the 21st century definition of "dank".
MindEater is offline Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:19 AM #9
flylowgethigh
grassyhopper

flylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivorflylowgethigh is a survivor
Get a 10X or stronger magnifier, and a flashlight. Take a good close-up look at the flowers. The pics you see here, and what I see after breaking open a pack, are two different critters. Tric heads just don't make it through the packaging /shipping process very well.

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87
flylowgethigh is offline Quote

Old 08-07-2020, 12:39 AM #10
mexweed

mexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud ofmexweed has much to be proud of
the best stuff is fluffy when ground up and sticks together as a clump when some is grabbed to load a bowl
mexweed is offline Quote