What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exhuast a sealed room during lights off to maintain humidity

mikeross

Hello all...

I'm getting back in the game and planning my new room. Room is a 15'x28' with 9' ceilings. Planning to run 12 1k Gavitas with about 70-80 plants in coco.

I want to run a single Quest Dual 205-225 unit. During lights off, late in flower, a single unit might not be enough. I was thinking of hooking up a exhaust fan to a humidity stat to maintain levels.

So what are the negative effects to exhausting air in a sealed room during lights off. I assume I need to create some type of passive intake too?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Asslover

Veteran
Are you cooling the room? For me, the AC and dehumidifier work in tandem during lights off. Meaning, the dehumidifier kicks on a begins drying the air, the warm dry air causes the AC to cool which by proxy will dry the air. Back/forth all night.

mikeross

Yeah it's a sealed room. I'm anticipating a spike in humidity when the lights go out. Room will have a quest 225 which is gonna cost be a lot. I have 1 in each room. I'm not in the position to install (2) of these in each room.

I just think on the first run of two I can just exhaust air during lights out. Lights on everything gets sealed up again.

Raho

Veteran
Are you cooling the room? For me, the AC and dehumidifier work in tandem during lights off. Meaning, the dehumidifier kicks on a begins drying the air, the warm dry air causes the AC to cool which by proxy will dry the air. Back/forth all night.

@Asslover, This is right on.

@MikeRoss, the answer to your question depends on the humidity of the outside air. In the sealed room, your environment will be much more predictable.

Have you thought about dividing your space into 2 rooms and putting them on a flip?
If you recirc air between the 2 rooms the humidity from the room that just went dark will be welcome in the room the lights up.

You can always drop the RH just before lights out to reduce the spike when it goes dark if you find your single unit getting overwhelmed.

mikeross

@Asslover, This is right on.

@MikeRoss, the answer to your question depends on the humidity of the outside air. In the sealed room, your environment will be much more predictable.

Have you thought about dividing your space into 2 rooms and putting them on a flip?
If you recirc air between the 2 rooms the humidity from the room that just went dark will be welcome in the room the lights up.

You can always drop the RH just before lights out to reduce the spike when it goes dark if you find your single unit getting overwhelmed.

Actually its two rooms on a flip hehe. I did think about your idea. I made another thread about similar day/night parameters and seems like its not the best idea. I'm gonna build the rooms out, setup sealed and circulate between the two rooms. We shall see what happens... i know it will solve my problem but not 100% sure how it will effect my plants. Thanks for the insight!

Raho

Veteran
Actually its two rooms on a flip hehe. I did think about your idea. I made another thread about similar day/night parameters and seems like its not the best idea. I'm gonna build the rooms out, setup sealed and circulate between the two rooms. We shall see what happens... i know it will solve my problem but not 100% sure how it will effect my plants. Thanks for the insight!

I've done it. The amount of circulation between rooms does not need to be a lot. Always have filters before air leaves 1 room for another.

The plants will love it. It reduces the temp and RH swing between lights on/off conditions.

Just be careful not to create problems with too much negative pressure.

Latest posts

Latest posts