What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can I put fan AND filter outside of tent?

Sorry for the noob questions.

A) Can I go put the inline fan on top of the carbon filter and keep them both outside, with the fan pushing air through the filter? (I'm worried about the strength of my grow tent and I'm too dumb, apparently, to figure out how these damned ratchet straps work anyway.)

B) Can I put the carbon filter pre-filter in the ducting? The prefilter will obviously be useless in its' current form on the outside of the carbon filter.

Thank you. I don't know if It's my self-hatred/inability to build shit that is causing this or what but putting this grow together has been stressful as hell lol.

Fixer

Hi Nice Fella, yes you can put the fan and filter outside the tent but you'll need to run negative pressure (suck the air out of the tent) in order to filter the smell out.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doesn't matter if you push or pull through the filter.
Even shitty grow tents can bear a load of around 60 pounds, so absolutely no issues putting all your vent equipment on top of the tent.
There are round duct endpieces available to close of the inner side of the duct which hold a filter fleece. Or you can just use the fleece you have and fix it over the intake. Or use a pantyhose, or put a hepa filter over your tent's air intake.
Good luck
CC

Amynamous

I keep mine outside of the tent and use the fan/filter as an air scrubber and it works fine. I use screw in LEDs so temperature isn’t an issue.

Mr. J

The thing about filtering the intake is that if you don't have enough surface area the fan gets bogged down, so if you're simply covering the end of the duct it's not going to work very well. You could connect a small box of some sort to your intake before it goes into your garden and make the sides of the box filters so that you would have more surface to pull through. That would work better. Or even a cardboard box with a hole on opposite sides and a big flat filter of some sort splitting the box in half.

Never mind, I figured out the rachet hangers. Sorta. lol I'm not handy and semi-disabled so this is a challenge for me.

Is this good enough? I'm concerned about height. I don't even have the light fixture in yet and I'm already down to 59 vertical inches! (I had to use metal zip ties...the racket buckles were not big enough to fit around the tent pole.

PS not sure what the forum etiquette is on making threads for specific questions. Should I post all these questions in a grow journal and stop making new threads? Thank you!

V

voidpainter

No need for zip ties, just throw the racket rope around the pole. That will save some space for you.

Also that filter looks kind of an overkill for your size of tent in my opinion.

What size tent and filter?

roybart

You may end up with air traveling too fast through the filter. The charcoal needs a bit of time to capture the stinky stuff

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Best of luck mate. You’re doing well and it’s all good therapy in the long run. Respect.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nah you'Re good and it's always super easy to put a transformator into the wiring of the fan so you can control the speed.
I always go oversize on filter, ducting and fan and then dim the fan down, this way it's less noisy but watch out to not run the filter below recommended minimum speed.
Makes everything last much longer too.
All the best
CC

Thanks guys. I'm a little worried about the ducting insulation falling into the inline fan over time. Fire hazard or don't worry about it?

Fixer

Thanks guys. I'm a little worried about the ducting insulation falling into the inline fan over time. Fire hazard or don't worry about it?

Do you have a pic? I've never seen anything hanging out of the inside of ducting. The insulation is usually on the outside of the duct.

Sure.

Attachments

• ducting.jpg
    ducting.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 18

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't worry about that stuff, there is obviously another duct inside and you use duct tape to tape the whole fluffy shit inside the silver skin down once you have connected the INNER, hard ducting to your fan/silencer/carbon filter etc...
CC

saluki

ICMag Donor
Best of luck to you bro, I was where you are back in 2013. Come harvest time and you will feel like Neil Armstrong after landing on the moon xD

thanks guys. Here's a fun one. So I just went down in the basement to connect the ducting to the fan with duct clamps. I notice a little black speck in the pink ducting. Then I see movement in the ducting.

A mouse was in there. lol fml. If I manage to harvest some good herb without blowing up my house up it'll be the greatest achievement of my life, apparently.

Latest posts

Latest posts