Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Help with too many tops for Half whiskey barrel grow

Thread Title Search
Help with too many tops for Half whiskey barrel grow Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2020, 08:20 PM #1
thedudefresco

thedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to all
Help with too many tops for Half whiskey barrel grow

Hi.

I’ve grown outdoors for a few years but this is my first year growing in a container rather than in the ground.

This plant has been growing since feb but started to flower in April due to a mismanaged gas lantern routine.

In may it started revegging. I stripped it, and it came back with a vengeance.

There are too many tops though for the container I fear.

Should I remove some?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1ADB2FB-AC44-41C2-B6D0-A11991B6050A.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	537895
thedudefresco is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2020, 09:02 PM #2
LizardMan

LizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud of
I would let it go and see how it manages, clean the under canopy when flower hits and just keep it watered and fertilized well!
LizardMan is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:45 PM #3
green-genes77

green-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant futuregreen-genes77 has a brilliant future
I would LST it outward to open up the middle and, as suggested above, clean up the bottoms early in flower thoroughly, leaving only the infrastructure for colas.

Yes this will ultimately give you more tops but my first inclination in looking at that setup is that you should be looking more at making those many tops productive rather than concentrating growth into a smaller number of shoots. I would advise you lean into it, keep all of the healthy/vigorous tops, and either LST outward or supercrop to get more light into the center of the plant.

Just make sure you're prepared to feed enough to support all that growth, as LizardMan said.
green-genes77 is offline Quote

Old 06-19-2020, 02:25 PM #4
dirty-joe

dirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nicedirty-joe is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudefresco View Post
Hi.

There are too many tops though for the container I fear.

Should I remove some?

I agree with your fear, and yes you should remove some, probably many.

There will be lots of opinions on this one I imagine, and mine is that bushy is good, but everything has limits. If that plant is left to grow out as is you'll have very spindly branches, and nothing but popcorn to trim at harvest, there won't be any what I'd call a cola. If it were mine I'd prune it back to 1 to 2 dozen tops max.
dirty-joe is offline Quote

Old 06-19-2020, 06:51 PM #5
LizardMan

LizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud ofLizardMan has much to be proud of
My experience is the size of container will limit his overall plant size, i.e. a 50 gal container will be able to house a bigger plant then a 20 gal ( this is outdoor soil grown), its up to him how he wants to go about it, lst, trimming bottoms, only keeping a select few branches or just letting nature do its thing is how
LizardMan is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:54 AM #6
theJointedOne

theJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond reputetheJointedOne has a reputation beyond repute
Just keep it simple, clean out the bottoms, and support the branches with a simple cage/netting trellis system.

Don't listen to the hype or gro lore.. just try to keep the nutrition up so she rides through till the end

theJointedOne is offline Quote

Old 06-25-2020, 07:38 PM #7
thedudefresco

thedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to allthedudefresco is a name known to all
Thanks everyone for the responses. Really appreciate this community.

For now, I have decided to let it continue growing as is, and postpone my decision a few more weeks.

If you guys want I’ll keeep you posted with some progress pics.

Thanks again to all who took the time to respond. Let’s grooooooow

Old 06-25-2020, 10:05 PM #8
Mattbho

Mattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of lightMattbho is a glorious beacon of light
Get it done b4 the stretch
Mattbho is offline Quote

Old 07-12-2020, 01:12 AM #9
thedudefresco

She’s been growing well and I decided to prune branches/remove nodes today.

I have more to do but it was hot and I figured a few days recuperation for her before removing more prolly wouldn’t hurt.

Pre crop and post crop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D744A0B-A866-456E-BDF9-EFA6C98DB5AA.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	541124 Click image for larger version

Name:	4188202E-6A99-45DB-94B5-6224991529E7.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	541125

Old 07-12-2020, 01:17 AM #10
'Boogieman'

'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor'Boogieman' is a survivor
Is it possible to put her in a bigger pot?
'Boogieman' is online now Quote