Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > How early to smoke males?

Thread Title Search
How early to smoke males? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2020, 07:29 PM #1
F2F

F2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of light
How early to smoke males?

Hi Folks,

Did a search but didn’t see much that was relevant. Title says it all, smoking male material is one way of gauging potency when selecting a father for breeding. How early can/should you do this? Do you need to get as close to pollen drop as possible, or can you sample earlier?

Cheers,
F2F
F2F is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2020, 07:58 PM #2
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivor

Seriously though, do people do that? Smoke the males? Learn something new every day I guess.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2020, 08:17 PM #3
mr.brunch

mr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivor
Don’t they say to reverse the male and smoke the flowers ?

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Eric Idle, monty pythons meaning of life:

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at 900 miles an hour.
It's orbiting at 90 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
The sun that is the source of all our power.
The the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
Are moving at a million miles a day,
In an outer spiral arm, at 40, 000 miles an hour,
Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.
mr.brunch is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:29 PM #4
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.brunch View Post
Don’t they say to reverse the male and smoke the flowers ?
Okay that makes sense! There is a thread over here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597 about that. It's basically the reverse process of using STS to make them ladies if I remember correctly.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:37 PM #5
BearCreekFarms

BearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to beholdBearCreekFarms is a splendid one to behold
I wouldnt smoke a plant treated with STS............thats just me..........

I would think a male that 8-10 weeks old ought to give you a good potency reference, probably be good for it to be sexually mature.

Many old timers smoke males to test potency........in my mind though........yuck!

Id rather do progeny testing.
BearCreekFarms is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 PM #6
mr.brunch

mr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivor
Not sts, ethylene... I think it’s just a fruiting hormone, no nasty chemicals

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Eric Idle, monty pythons meaning of life:

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at 900 miles an hour.
It's orbiting at 90 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
The sun that is the source of all our power.
The the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
Are moving at a million miles a day,
In an outer spiral arm, at 40, 000 miles an hour,
Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.
mr.brunch is online now Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:58 PM #7
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.brunch View Post
Not sts, ethylene... I think it’s just a fruiting hormone, no nasty chemicals
Yeah sts works because it's a copper ethylene inhibitor, if I'm remembering correctly. So if you introduce ethylene it should have the opposite effect. I didn't mean to imply reversing males uses STS sorry.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:03 PM #8
Cvh

Cvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivor
^Correct.
Cvh is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2020, 09:06 PM #9
WHIPEDMEAT
Modortalan

WHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond reputeWHIPEDMEAT has a reputation beyond repute
lol, simple question was, isnt it ?

grow it to its mature vegetative state usually this is the moment after they showed preflowers in vegetative phase. male flower doesn t produce sigfificant amount of resin,

so i suggest you to grow it as mature as possible than collect sample of top shoots, turn it to flower and collect samples enough from top shoots by like 2 weeks
WHIPEDMEAT is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:58 PM #10
F2F

F2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of lightF2F is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPEDMEAT View Post
lol, simple question was, isnt it ?

grow it to its mature vegetative state usually this is the moment after they showed preflowers in vegetative phase. male flower doesn t produce sigfificant amount of resin,

so i suggest you to grow it as mature as possible than collect sample of top shoots, turn it to flower and collect samples enough from top shoots by like 2 weeks
AgentPothead you killed me with that first post! Love me some Will Ferrell.

WM - I’m with you. Since different plants will show resin at different times, and flower for different lengths of time, they should probably be tested during flower. Now that I’ve thought about it probably right at they point they drop.

Yes, I know a lot of you are laughing or gagging at the thought but it’s an old head method.

For my OD project It won’t be practical to reverse, progeny test, etc. I will save aliquots of pollen from every male and can use it next year based on how progeny look.

Cheers,
F2F
F2F is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.