What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How early to smoke males?

F2F

Hi Folks,

Did a search but didn’t see much that was relevant. Title says it all, smoking male material is one way of gauging potency when selecting a father for breeding. How early can/should you do this? Do you need to get as close to pollen drop as possible, or can you sample earlier?

Cheers,
F2F

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
dontbelieveyou.gif

Seriously though, do people do that? Smoke the males? Learn something new every day I guess.:biggrin:

BearCreekFarms

I wouldnt smoke a plant treated with STS............thats just me..........

I would think a male that 8-10 weeks old ought to give you a good potency reference, probably be good for it to be sexually mature.

Many old timers smoke males to test potency........in my mind though........yuck!

Id rather do progeny testing.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Not sts, ethylene... I think it’s just a fruiting hormone, no nasty chemicals
Yeah sts works because it's a copper ethylene inhibitor, if I'm remembering correctly. So if you introduce ethylene it should have the opposite effect. I didn't mean to imply reversing males uses STS sorry. :tiphat:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
lol, simple question was, isnt it ?

grow it to its mature vegetative state usually this is the moment after they showed preflowers in vegetative phase. male flower doesn t produce sigfificant amount of resin,

so i suggest you to grow it as mature as possible than collect sample of top shoots, turn it to flower and collect samples enough from top shoots by like 2 weeks

F2F

lol, simple question was, isnt it ?

grow it to its mature vegetative state usually this is the moment after they showed preflowers in vegetative phase. male flower doesn t produce sigfificant amount of resin,

so i suggest you to grow it as mature as possible than collect sample of top shoots, turn it to flower and collect samples enough from top shoots by like 2 weeks

AgentPothead you killed me with that first post! Love me some Will Ferrell. :laughing:

WM - I’m with you. Since different plants will show resin at different times, and flower for different lengths of time, they should probably be tested during flower. Now that I’ve thought about it probably right at they point they drop.

Yes, I know a lot of you are laughing or gagging at the thought but it’s an old head method. :biglaugh:

For my OD project It won’t be practical to reverse, progeny test, etc. I will save aliquots of pollen from every male and can use it next year based on how progeny look.

Cheers,
F2F

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
make sure to lower your tolerancy with a few days non smoking period before test xD
and also ask a casual smoker to help

GoatCheese

Veteran
I've never smoked leaf matter from males, but you can smoke the male flowers/tops to get a feel what the male will bring into the cross. The flowers don't have much chlorophyll in them so they are fairly smooth to toke.
Of course you won't get as strong of an effect as from smoking female flowers, cause the amount of resin on male flowers is much less than on females, but there's enough on there to get a feel of the effect and the nuances of it. ..you can even taste some of the terps if your bong is clean enough!

You don't have to take a break from smoking to feel an effect when your testing/smoking male flowers, but you might want it to be the first smokes of the day. I smoke weed (almost) daily, if i can help it, and i've felt a light effect when i've smoked male flowers = the point isn't to get stoned, but to get an idea of the effect the male brings into the cross.

I have bloomed the males around 4-5 weeks before i have tested them.

Taskenti f3 male

picture.php

picture.php

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
those are modified leafs became sepals and other supporting parts of male flowers pollen bearing parts (anthers- pollen sacks)
sorry to tell those were leaf material :D

GoatCheese

Veteran
those are modified leafs became sepals and other supporting parts of male flowers pollen bearing parts (anthers- pollen sacks)
Yea, pollen sacks = Leaves. Sure.
useless comment after useless comment. Go moderate somewhere, cause this topic (Breeding; testing/selecting males) apparently isn't something you know much about.

therevverend

Veteran
Seems like a waste of time to me. When I started growing I was desperate to smoke anything, I'd dry and smoke the mature flowering tips and flowers from my males. Didn't do much except harsh out my lungs. Didn't get what I'd consider 'stoned', no distortions of time or space. You're much better off rubbing the stalk and smelling, looking at size, vigor, and form.

My males are a sorry lot this year, only a couple real lookers. Unless a couple of my big I-hope-it's-a-girl-plants turn out male. It's easy really, a lot of male plants have that scraggy hempy look. I'll take the clippers and start hacking them. I go with the ones I thought were females, got all excited about. They end up being my best breeders.

The other category of male I like are the ones that look like full on males from the start, have a large structure. They'll pass on vigor and strength while the female looking ones have the potency. I'm generalizing. If you're using good seed that produced good females, obviously if you pick a strong male the stock should be strong.

As far as the idea of reversing males to females. I see it more as a genetic novelty then anything else. As far as I know they don't produce a lot of resin or terpenes. One of those things that sounds good in theory but isn't worth executing. By the time you go to all the trouble of separating it from your females, giving it's own space and light source, keeping it alive through the reversal process, then drying and sampling. You could have started 5 more seeds and selected the best male the old fashioned way.

Here's an idea from a big numbers perspective, I'd imagine someone like Sam would use this sort of technique. You get a lot of males, over 100. Then have them all lab tested for potency, terpenes, cannabinoid content. Build a database and go from there. Your breeding program would blow up in a hurry.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
those are modified leafs became sepals and other supporting parts of male flowers pollen bearing parts (anthers- pollen sacks-- these are the bananas .. do you see resin on them ? sure you do )
read again .. and read again until it will be clear

Mr. J

Yea, pollen sacks = Leaves. Sure.
useless comment after useless comment. Go moderate somewhere, cause this topic (Breeding; testing/selecting males) apparently isn't something you know much about.
It's all leaves, bro. They just modify themselves a bit to do different things. Ever have a good look at a calyx? It's just an inside out leaf curled in on itself, the outside of the calyx is analogous to the bottom side of a regular leaf. You can see this clearly when revegging a plant and you get those halfway calyx / halfway leaves that grow in a spiral almost.

Betterhaff

Veteran
lol, just smoked some male (joimt). Was resinous, not in total flower. Was looking more for taste, to see what the previous cross brought.