Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Combat Mold Issues With HEPA: The Inexpensive DIY Solution

Thread Title Search
Combat Mold Issues With HEPA: The Inexpensive DIY Solution Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2020, 07:12 PM #1
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivor
Combat Mold Issues With HEPA: The Inexpensive DIY Solution

Why HEPA?

HEPA filtration is the number one defense against molds and fungal issues with cannabis. Harvest molding while it dries? Trimmed flowers molding in your jars? Packed a bunch of cannabis away, and come back to find it's ruined with mold? In a well ventilated flowering room (3 complete exchanges of air per minute), over the 2-3 month cycle, the trichomes of your plants can pick up an amazing number of mold spores.

When moisture levels and temperatures levels are high enough, those mold spores will cause enough mold to ruin a harvest in only a few days.

HEPA filtration stops fungal spores, stray pollen, bear and beaver dander, feces dust from all kinds of animals, pet hair, human hair, carpet and clothing fibers, bugs and more.Once you've smoked HEPA grown cannabis for a while, everything else starts feeling harsh in comparison.

HEPA filters are so cheap to build, everyone with DIY skills should be using them. I recently built one for the LED cab I'm building, and figured everyone here could benefit from a separate thread.

Here's the completed filter, attached to a fan.

The 'Plenum' before installing the filter. This can be as simple as 1x4 and thin plywood, screwed together and sealed with caulking. With larger sized filters, you'll want to cut multiple square holes, leaving cross braces. This filter size '14x20' will filter up to an 8" fan, and a 25x25 filter will work for 10-12" fans.

Drywall channel for corners is used to create a frame for the filter. The frame is secured and sealed to the plenum, and the filter is taped into the frame. When the filter needs to be replaced, simply cut the tape and exchange dirty with new, then re-tape.

The drywall corner channeling cut, bent and sealed to the plenum.

Closeup of a cut, secured and sealed corner.

The HEPA filters I typically use.

Filter installed to plenum, and is now all taped up and ready to go.

Hope a great many of you try this and enjoy it. I've been doing it for 15+ years and love the difference. Be good to yourselves.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

14 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:17 PM #2
THC123

THC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant futureTHC123 has a brilliant future
Excellent thread!!! Professional ops always use Hepa filtration but it is very nice to see a affordable version for the homegrower!
THC123 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:43 PM #3
starke

starke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond reputestarke has a reputation beyond repute
Great idea and construction. Thanks.
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

ACTIVE

Outdoor Hydro Herbs and Leafy Greens (Current Grow Begins on Page 5)

Completed
starke is offline Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 07:45 PM #4
I'mback
Comfortably numb!

I'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivor
Both my veg & bloom tents have passive intakes via a HEPA filter. I have been doing it since day one

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,

but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...

I'mback is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:50 PM #5
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeBobby Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
I've taken to putting carbon pads over the hepa filter to help keep house smells out of the intakes.

In the dry box intake, it goes carbon/hepa/carbon/damp wicking filter.

The water in the wicking filter still picks up a lot of crap!
Bobby Boucher is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:51 AM #6
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivorDouglas.Curtis is a survivor
Carbon is one I've considered a few times. I've taken a half-toke of fabric-softener cannabis before. Gack. Tents are not something you want in a fabric-softener laundry room. lol

Old 02-25-2020, 09:56 AM #7
Chunkypigs
average wild swine

Chunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivor
wood is a poor choice for plenum making, going to grab then release the things you are trying to eliminate..

there are cheap solutions for high MERV filters.

and less cheap but properly engineered.

https://www.hvacquick.com/products/r...e-Filter-Boxes

once you get the particles filtered from the air UVC is the best way to kill molds and viruses and if you don't include some type of photocatalytic uvc in your system downstream from your filter you are missing the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/D200-PCO-phot.../dp/B0754C889Z

this is a $90 model you can grab at Amazon, I have one, but I built a more powerful one with 2 36watt bulbs using replacement screens from commercial filters.

my unit starts with a big carbon filter then fan then MERV then UVC and runs 24/7 scrubbing the sealed room.

this is a fancy weed model unit

Chunkypigs is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:24 AM #8
Chunkypigs
average wild swine

Chunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivorChunkypigs is a survivor
in the spirit of DIY filtration you might try the latest from Wuhan..

Chunkypigs is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:01 PM #9
Douglas.Curtis

Cute. As for wood, I'm not building microchips so it's ok. Appreciate the suggestions for when I have a budget.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:44 AM #10
Mars Hydro Led
Garden Partner

Mars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivorMars Hydro Led is a survivor
Great idea. Douglas.

The mask pictures about wuhan are funny. Lol. But we never see that from news. Maybe they are made by PS.

New Arrival SP3000 video.

Samsung and Osram FC series.

Grow Diaries:

SP 250 test/grow
TS1000 test/grow
Unclefishstick's Journal!
GMT tested TSL2000
TSW-2000 test/grow
SP150 grow from Paddi
BlackBerry kush with TS1000

Welcome to talk with me here
Worldwide stock in US, UK, EU, AU, Canada