What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

330w Origlight LED w/Tri-Band Tuning: 2’x4’x6’ Cab

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The journey begins!

A decade ago I picked up a desire for long flowering NLD types. Over the years I’ve picked up a great amount of helpful information. A few months ago I received a 330w grow light from OrigLite with tri-band tuning. A month ago, another grower in Colorado cut a few clones for me of some long flowering Malawi mums; which should be rooted in the next month or so. lol :woohoo:

The tri-band tuning of the OrigLite gives me the ability to individually dim 3 distinct sets of the LEDs. Theoretically I’ll be able to dim the red during stretch, then back to full power for most of the remainder. Also theoretically, in late flower when physical flower bulking has quit, the red can be dimmed again to promote resin/terpene production.

This month I was able to get some of the supplies to begin construction. Yesterday I began building it. Again :woohoo:I’m very excited, especially after not being able to grow the last few months.

The 330w light I received from OrigLite was designed for a 4x4 space. Should you have them build you a light, be more clear about the coverage area than I was. Lol I literally gutted the light housing, cut the housing in half, and remounted/re-wired everything to use the shortened section. At this stage I’m roughing it in so I know what mods will be most appropriate to finish it. I still have to do a ‘cut to final length’ on the light’s main housing, and I’ll have access to better tools for this.

Cab Specifications:

2’ x 4’ x 6’
14”x20”x1” HEPA filtered intake
4” inline fan (might need a dimmer @ close to pushing 4x the volume per minute)
330w LED LM301B chips in 6500k and 3200k plus 660nm chips from another mfg
Adjustable light height
Zero odor control (though this may change in the future)

Goals:
Easy access to reservoir(s), ventilation, wiring, plants, light adjustments.
Option to install/remove/adjust scrog screen at varying heights Positive pressure, hepa filtered ventilation
Low noise (I want it in my bedroom if it’s quiet enough)

Bug/Pest Control: Admittedly, I’m rather retentive about the cleanliness of my cannabis. Lol I’m not a fan of pest control during flower, nor do I agree with using systemics in flower. Pests have a lot more time to invade a the garden of a long flowering sativa. So I’ve thought a lot about it with this cab design.

My pest control methods revolve around clean air, and clean personal grow management practices. When the cab is positive pressured, the box is built air tight, and the incoming air is filtered, the chances of infection/infestation are greatly reduced. When I open the box, the air will push pollen, bugs and spores away from the box, instead of sucking them up.

As long as I tend the garden only when clean, and wearing freshly cleaned clothes, I have excellent odds on many runs without issues. I've used these practices in negative pressure grows for 15+ years, and I expect them to work even better in this situation.

Stay tuned for the initial build photos and more details. :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

The basic box construction is 1"x 1" square wood sticks, connected using angle brackets and screws. Holes were pre-drilled, to avoid splitting them with the screws. A bit flimsy on it's own, yet very solid once skinned with some plywood. No roof yet, as I'm still designing a quiet exit for the airflow. The light will also be re-hung from the roof, compared to the off kilter looking job in the photos. lol

The gaps on the sides will be filled in with lighter plywood for weight savings. Air intake will be in the front, below the floor of the flowering chamber, with ducting up through the corners of the flooring.

Hacked up OrigLite 330w Light. It's not pretty, but it's functional for testing purposes. :)

330w OrigLight @ Full Power

Oh! As this cabinet build progresses I'll be using tester plants along the way. Yesterday I also started a "Tokarev T3 from Afterthought Autos," so I'll have grow data and cannabis in a couple months. :)

The Tokarev T3's I've grown so far have been very popular in my house. When it's around, it tends to have little bits of it get added to nearly every joint, bowl or edible we make until it's gone. Thank you Afterthought Autos!

Douglas.Curtis

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Here's a closeup of a corner, so you can see how I used 2 different sized angle brackets. With all the same size you'd have overlapping screws in some places. It chews up the wood and reduces strength.

Here's a shot of the temporary plenum for the HEPA filter. I didn't have any 1x2 wood on hand, so I used some available pieces of hdpe. lol

The fan is mounted directly and will be sealed properly during final install. The plenum and fan will be suspended below the flowering room floor. Airflow from the fan will be ducted up through the flowering room floor to form a circular current of air.

I use the aluminum drywall channel for corners. Cut and bent to the shape of your filter, then sealed to the outside of the plenum. Foil tape quickly and securely seals your replaceable HEPA filter into the aluminum fram, covering the intake of your plenum nicely.

My replaceable HEPA filter.

:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Nice grow kits, douglas. Would there be heat issue in wood frame for that light?
Thank you. :)

Good question, and no issues with heat and this light. Though it would heat the wood up a bit, especially without the flat white paint yet, I could put an HID in here and it'd be fine. The key is airflow, which I try to have at 3 complete exchanges of air per minute. :)

Toying with the idea of making the flowering floor a second plenum, with directed air coming in from the corners. Meh, we'll see. :)

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Cool light, does it allow for controlling the individual channels? Can you use it for far red initiation?

:lurk:

Douglas.Curtis

Cool light, does it allow for controlling the individual channels? Can you use it for far red initiation?

:lurk:
Yes, it uses a potentiometer (dial you can push and turn). It has separate channels. Unable to find the data sheet at the moment, but I believe mine are connected to blue 6500K, red 660nm and 'green' 2700K. (edit: I believe my *green* setting controls 3000K, not 2700K)

I specifically asked for zero far-red, and will be doing research over the next year or so on my own. (anyone have suggestions for a quality Far-Red initiator LED kit?)

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm in on this one. I know you've been talking up these origlights for a couple months now. Now we get to see them in action.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Thank you. :)

Good question, and no issues with heat and this light. Though it would heat the wood up a bit, especially without the flat white paint yet, I could put an HID in here and it'd be fine. The key is airflow, which I try to have at 3 complete exchanges of air per minute. :)

Toying with the idea of making the flowering floor a second plenum, with directed air coming in from the corners. Meh, we'll see. :)

That sounds cool. :tiphat: reserved.

Douglas.Curtis

Daaaaamn! So, my main goal with this cab is for scrogging pure sativas. Last week I noticed the autos I have running had super short internodal lengths. I turned the blue down 4 clicks for a week and a slow stretch started. Guesstimate of 2" of strech in 5-6 days. Talk about control? Wow...

I have a feeling I'm going to LOVE this light. lol

I still have not completed the cab. I had anticipated some budget changes and they've not materialized yet. Fortunately, I have a small but varied selection of autoflowers to choose from. The Brickland/GG#3/GG#4 cross I made 7 years ago is a beast... lol :) Wishing I'd started the biggest plant in a bigger pot. Didn't transplant till she was already root bound. Bleah! :)

Leosophia

good and experienced knowledge about pest control I have been visited a website that provide good experience to me