Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > STS Silver Thiosulfate – Plant Tissue Culture TranslationsProtocol

Thread Title Search
STS Silver Thiosulfate – Plant Tissue Culture TranslationsProtocol Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 AM #1
Home-Grown

Home-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the rough
STS Silver Thiosulfate – Plant Tissue Culture TranslationsProtocol

Using Sigma-Aldrich Data for ratio in Grams.

STS is prepared with a “molar ratio” between silver and thiosulfate of 1:4. Do not confuse this with ratio of each in grams.

1.58 g of Sodium Thiosulfate into 100 ml of water. Only 80 ml is used.
(1.58 g x 0.8 = “1.264 g Sodium Thiosulfate Used”)

1.7 g of Silver Nitrate into 100 ml of water. Only 20 ml is used.
(1.7 g x 0.2 = “0.34 g Silver Nitrate Used”)

1/0.34 = 2.941176470588235
3.717647058823529/1.264 = 2.941176470588235

Using 100ml of water for each as with forum cannabis versions.
This gives a ratio:
0.1 Silver Nitrate / 0.3717 Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate.
Or;
0.1 Silver Nitrate / 0.579852 Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous.

Mix silver nitrate solution into the Sodium Thiosulfate.
Use 100ml in 900ml of distilled water.

-------------------------
Note:
Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous has been accidentally used at 0.5 grams based on the online recipe.
By the posters account, it still worked – suggesting the rate was higher than required for Pentahydrate.
If some growers are getting leaf burn, this may also suggest the rate is too high.
As horticulturist, I trust the data from company unless proven ineffective.

The Forum recipe has a higher level of Sodium Thiosulfate in stock, than Sigma-Aldrich.
------------------------

Sigma-Aldrich

Silver Thiosulfate – Plant Tissue Culture Protocol
Prepare a 0.1 M Sodium Thiosulfate (STS) stock solution by dissolving 1.58 g of Sodium Thiosulfate (Product No. S7026) into 100 ml of water. Prepare a 0.1 M Silver Nitrate stock solution by dissolving 1.7 g of Silver Nitrate (Product No. S7276) into 100 ml of water.

Store the stock solutions in the dark until needed to prepare the STS.
In general, the STS is prepared with a molar ratio between silver and thiosulfate of 1:4, respectively.
Nearly all of the silver present in the solution is in the form of [Ag(S2O3)2]3-, the active complex for ethylene effect inhibition.

Prepare a 0.02 M STS by slowly pouring 20 ml of 0.1 M silver nitrate stock solution into 80 ml of 0.1 M sodium thiosulfate stock solution. The STS can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. However, preparation of the STS just prior to use is recommended.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=365017

View and Download PDF Document Here:
HomeGrown GH-Flora for Coco.pdf
New Flattened Profile Mix:
HomeGrown GH-Flora Coco - Alternative Nutrients for 2020.pdf

STS Silver Thiosulfate – Translations Protocol:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=369602

Last edited by Home-Grown; 01-25-2020 at 02:34 PM..
Home-Grown is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:56 AM #2
Home-Grown

Home-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the roughHome-Grown is a jewel in the rough
For those wanting to use the Sigma-Aldrich gram/gram ratio.
I recommend
*changing the volume of added distilled water to change solution strength as shown below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Strength Chart:

0.3mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS) - Equivalent to Forum Strength of "Silver Nitrate".

100ml in 900ml distilled = Base Line representing 100%

0.3525mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS) - Mid Point.
100ml in 725ml distilled = 117.33%

0.405mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS) - Equivalent to Forum Strength of "Sodium Thiosulfate".
100ml in 550ml distilled = 135%

0.5mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS)
100ml in 500ml distilled = 166.5%

0.6mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS)
100ml in 400ml distilled = 200%

1mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS)

100ml in 200ml distilled = 333%

1.5mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS)
100ml in 100ml distilled = 500%

2mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS)
100ml in 50ml distilled = 666%

2.5mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS)
100ml in 25ml distilled = 833%

3mM Silver Thiosulfate (STS) - Foliar Sprays of Silver Thiosulfate Produce Male Flowers on Female Hemp Plants.pdf
100ml Straight Stock = 1000%

______________________________ _________________

TESTING:

I have sprayed flowering Bruce Banner #3 on multiple occasions with Solution Strengths from 0.3mM to 3mM.
No Damage was done to plant at 3mM strength.

At 0.3mM the flowering was slowed to 3-7 pistils per cluster.
Experiment was finished, as plant was not developing male organs.

Make sure you measure carefully and mix well before slowly combining.
The liquids should be around 26C to dissolve crystals more easily.

Last edited by Home-Grown; 03-25-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 AM #3
NEED 4 SEED

NEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of lightNEED 4 SEED is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home-Grown View Post
I'm using 0.1 Silver Nitrate / 0.58 Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous.
On BB#3. See what happens.

If we rounded up to full numbers.

Using 100ml of water for each as with forum cannabis versions.
This gives a ratio:
0.1 Silver Nitrate / 0.4 Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate.
Or;
0.1 Silver Nitrate / 0.6 Sodium Thiosulfate Anhydrous.

Thanks, I will try this. I think it won't make that much of a difference but who knows...
NEED 4 SEED is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:32 AM #4
Home-Grown

Foliar Sprays of Silver Thiosulfate Produce Male Flowers on Female Hemp Plants. (Dec 2018).

Intro (Extract)
Female plants are preferred for cannabinoid production because females accumulate, predominantly in the inflorescences, significantly greater cannabinoid content than male plants (Small, 2015).
-

Rahn et al. (2016) and Soler et al. (2017) report that hemp growers are using hormones or chemicals like STS to make feminized seed, in which 100% of the seed is female.

Mohan Ram and Sett (1982) suggest STS can be used to make male flowers with viable pollen on female hemp plants, but their methods are not directly translatable to commercial applications.

Male flowers induced on genetically female plants will produce pollen containing only X gametes, which when crossed with eggs from female plants result in all-female seed (Mohan Ram and Sett, 1982).
-

Green (2015) describes using a single foliar spray of STS to produce feminized hemp seed.
This method has been shared among growers online, but this information is not based on scientific research.
-

There are no published reports about using foliar sprays of STS to produce feminized hemp seed. Therefore, the objective of this work was to evaluate the efficacy and rate of foliar sprays of STS for inducing male flowers and producing female seed for different strains of hemp.
------------------

Materials and methods (Extract)
Plants were 6 inches high with two shoots when foliar sprays of STS were initiated.

Silver thiosulfate solutions (0.3 and 3 mM) were prepared by mixing silver nitrate with STS in a molar ratio of 1:4, per Cameron and Reid (1981). Plants were sprayed to runoff (about 20 mL/plant) on three occasions, 7 d apart
------------------

Discussion (Extract)
Green (2015) suggested that female hemp plants can be masculinized using a single foliar spray of 0.3mM STS, but did not provide any information about the percent conversion to male flowers.

We did not find three foliar sprays of 0.3mM STS to be as effective for producing male flower formation as three foliar sprays of 3 mM STS.
-

A similar action of ethylene blocking by STS is likely responsible for the production of male flowers on female hemp plants in our study.
It is generally believed that ethylene blocking is extended when a series of sprays of STS is used compared with a single spray of STS (Reid et al., 1980).
-

Mohan Ram and Sett (1982), using 25 to 100 mg STS applied directly to the growing shoot tip of female hemp plants, were able to produce male flowers.
However, they also noted severe necrosis on young leaves covering shoot tips and suspended apical growth for 20 to 25 d before lateral budbreak and subsequent flower formation.
-

In comparison, we did not observe any plant phytotoxicity or delay in flower development.
Furthermore, we were able to achieve 95% to 100% conversion to male flowers for all hemp strains, whereas Mohan Ram and Sett (1982) reported 60% to 80% conversion.
Foliar Sprays of Silver Thiosulfate Produce Male Flowers on Female Hemp Plants.pdf

Last edited by Home-Grown; 01-24-2020 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 11:54 AM #5
Home-Grown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED 4 SEED View Post
Thanks, I will try this. I think it won't make that much of a difference but who knows...

It might not make any difference.
The ratio is an important starting point.
See if we get a result.

I have used the new ratio without the increase in Spray Solution strength!
Sprayed 2am in morning, placed in darkness until lights on 8.30pm that night.
The plant shows no sign of stress, a few days after spray.

Last edited by Home-Grown; 01-17-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 02:19 PM #6
djonkoman

djonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nice
hmm, interesting this source calls for a molar ratio of 1:4, when I calculated my recipe(based on the recipe going around forums, adapted slightly to make the amounts more convenient to me, such as not having to weigh out amounts with 2 or more decimals, and checked if everything was right with molar calculations) I found sources saying it shoould be in a 1:5-1:6 molar ratio, so that's what I used.
guessing it won't make much difference if the thiosulphate is higher though, assuming it's a balance-reaction, there's already an excess thiosulphate so there'll just be more free thiosulphate, if unbound thiosulphate was harmfull to the plant either molar ratio would be bad.
djonkoman is offline Quote

Old 01-17-2020, 02:43 PM #7
Home-Grown

The most efficient ratio reduces overall strength for a better result.
The strongest effect can be achieved before the point of burning.

For information other than Sigma-Aldrich, I would want to see the source.

Sigma-Aldrich:
Ratio is 0.1g Silver Nitrate / 0.3717g Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate.
(The stock is also said to last 1 month, with Sigma-Aldrich ratio)
There should only be a single gram/gram ratio for purpose.

Last edited by Home-Grown; 01-25-2020 at 02:36 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 07:41 PM #8
djonkoman

djonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nicedjonkoman is just really nice
Quote:
For information other than Sigma-Aldrich, I would want to see the source.
unfortunatly, it's years ago I looked it up, so don't have sources available. at the time I mostly disregarded the sigma aldritch info since it was so divergent from all the other recipes, and less convenient/more wastage(for example making 2 100ml solutions, then only using 80 and 20 ml from each respectively, leaving you with leftovers. I determined my recipe in such a way I had no leftovers, and no weights with too much decimals in g because I don't trust my scale to be that precise, so with larger numbers the weighing error has less influence). the sigma aldritch recipe is fine for in a lab where you can freely waste (cheap) chemicals since the lab has a huge budget anyway, and you have access to very precise, reliable scales. but for at home I think it's not the most convenient recipe.

based on my experience with the recipe I used, I also think the sigma aldritch version seems pretty strong. my stock solution(that I still dilute before use) only has 0.5 g per liter silver nitrate. the sigma aldritch recipe works out to 0.34 g silver nitrate per 100 ml stock solution, or 3.4 g per liter. so almost 7 times my stock solution. while the dilution before use is similar as mine(although I've also used stronger dilutions as 1:9, strongest I've used is 1:6, but especially when my stock was fresh 1:9 was good enough, so the final working solution would have also ended up less concentrated as the sigma aldritch one).

btw, I've stored my stock for way longer than a month. it's been 3 years since I mixed it I think, and past year I noticed the activity declined enough that I plan on making a new batch this year(before the next time I need it) to replace it. it still works after all that time, but over time a higher concentration is needed to see the same effect.
djonkoman is offline Quote

Old 01-17-2020, 08:09 PM #9
Home-Grown

Take this knowledge and move forward.

Strength of solution is the amount of water added, which people can change to suit their method of application.

The ratio in grams is what matters.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:41 PM #10
Fitzera

Fitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to beholdFitzera is a splendid one to behold
You should join Douglas.curtis' thread on diy sts! Lots of good info, let's keep it all in one informative thread!
Fitzera is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.