What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BOREAL LIGHTS Semi Auto

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The Northern Lights Auto we all know is a product or 80% Afghani Indica (Landrace) and 20% Thai Sativa (Landrace) with a Ruderalis ancestor that introduced the auto flowering trait.

These may have started out as Northern Lights but after 4 generations, they are certainly NOT NL anymore. Since they're so different than a typical Northern Lights, I am hereby renaming them Boreal Lights.

The Thai in this strain is dominant (at least 70%) in leaf structure, height and high.

The Afghani is present (30%) in shape and yield with very heavy and sturdy short side branching that never break on it's own.

The Ruderalis ancestor is present. Some girls flower at 4 weeks from seed under 24/7 lights. Some males will flower at 3 weeks.

Trimmed bud structure is Sativish, but certainly not as loose as a Thai Landrace. I'd say half way between a tight Indica and loose Sativa so it has a generous bag appeal.

Height? They'll stretch and outrun anything you have next to it. 12 feet plus in corn with a single 4 foot cola. She'll grow 6-8 feet tall if you give it elbow room above and underground with many short side branching holding large colas.

Yield? 1 pound in the wild. Up to 5 pounds in the ground if you feed and water it regularly. It's pretty hard to overfeed her.

Harvest time? Assuming you start indoor for 4 weeks and put it out June 1st, expect it to be ready mid August to September. The lack of attention will speed them up so in the wild some will be ready as early as mid July.

Early Frost? Medium. Expect them to hurt with ground frost in May. But they'll pull through.

Late frost? Bring it on! They can take freezing temperatures. Fan leaves will take a beating after two sub zero nights, but the buds just tighten up a bit unharmed and begging to be harvested.

Mold? Never. 1 dry rot bud in 400 seed run full season plants next to a large algae filled pond. Season was rainy and cooler than normal with 2 week blasts of hot (28-30c) humid weather during flowering.

Smell? Young Males smell like Catnip plain and simple and moves to a slight pine and sickly fuel in maturity.
Female Smell is strong very sweet Pine with a note of pepper and fuel. (One person described it as Pine and Fruity Pepper dipped in gas. But he was very high. :D )

Smoke reports I've received say it's an awakening Sativa smoke without any anxiety effects at all. Happy, euphoric, creative/analytical initial high that mellows to a more reasonable relaxed state. No real couch lock but not racing either. Certainly calming after the initial 15-20 minute rush. If you don't want your wife to talk your ears off, don't let her smoke this. lol

The Back Story:
The wife wanted to grow her own so she bought a 10 pack of Northern Lights Auto Female seeds from a counter top display in a dusty head shop. She rocks indoor household plants but can't grow a dandelion outdoor. Indoor she walks by with her watering can once a week and gives everyone a drink if she thinks they need it, gives them a shake and forgets about them. But she simply loved these to death. Literally. Autoflowers are highly susceptible to stress as it is, and she stressed them to the max. I mean in the extreme. She transplanted them 3 times, constantly moved them from window to window, inside-outside, sun burnt, missed watering them to the point of drooping, flooded them in the rain and over fed them when she did water them (did I miss anything? lol). Most of them died of course. There was 4 sorry looking tiny plants left when I took over and moved them to the garden next to the tomatoes for a 4th transplant. One gave up the ghost right away, but the 3 remaining started to recover and flower. 2 of the plants shot up to about 3 feet tall and exploded in pollen sacs. The remaining one was *very Indica looking but stunted and never broke 12 inches. The wife still thought they were hers and wouldn't let me pull the males/hermies out. The remaining dwarf was flowering normally. I pulled the two males when the wife wasn't there and a cloud yellow of pollen floated and hung in the air. I ended getting about 250-350(?) seeds from the dwarf. I planted them the next year because I was hoping for a crop of dwarf runts. 1/20-30 are runts with heavy Indica leaves just like mamma. The rest are giants with the Thai gene expressing and now dominant. They have also reverted to regular seeds so I let these open pollinate. At least they're still Autos.

While the large pheno is what everyone comments on, I'm really interested in the dwarf. With legalization rearing it's lovely head, I think it would make a killer balcony plant. Put the pot on the balcony June 1st, smoke it end of July because they finish in about 10 weeks from seed. My issue has been the lack of a male dwarf. They're all female. If growing weed has taught me anything, it's patience. So I'll be patient and will keep trying to find one. I have feminized one, but as you can imagine, you don't get a lot of seeds from a 12" plant. PLUS I still haven't tested the dwarf seed to see if it sticks so lots of work to do on the dwarf still.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Dwarf
picture.php

picture.php

Fitzera

That's the background I was trying to piece together, thank you! Cant wait to see what I get out of these!

gorilla ganja

Very cool. Can you go to the original source and get more seeds to do a new selection process?
So if they have they auto gene in them, within a couple of generations they will be full auto.
Or like you said maybe they are already and you just hit an Extreme Thai expression.
Those are some crazy yields. Well done.

Peace GG

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
Hi tycho

Nice thread, it’s a curious strain for sure, every time I have ever stressed an auto it just stunts on the spot never to grow any taller. Seems you’re onto something with this cultivare, it seems more like what used to get around called super autos which I think were sat dom autos, but yours with the ability to be stressed and still produce. At least some plants. Seems a nice combo too with the up but not wired too fx

Cool mate

gumzgi

tycho , i see the corn its still green and your plants almost finish , what month do you harvest these seeds if u plant them in april . do you have a website with those seeds,hows the high?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
tycho , i see the corn its still green and your plants almost finish , what month do you harvest these seeds if u plant them in april . do you have a website with those seeds,hows the high?
The ones in the corn were my late starts. You can still see the spiral in the structure so they were half way done.

I put them in with the corn 1st week of July at 4 weeks old, and that picture was taken 1st week of September. I think I harvested them about October 1st. The colas were baseball bats by the time I got to them. Other ones I had in the ground on June 1 were harvested mid august to September 1.

So about 16 weeks from seed to harvest time. If you pop the seeds in March and put them out in April, I'd expect to harvest end of July.

Feedback is that the high is great ("That's an award winner"). And that was from a daily smoker who doesn't pull any punches. If it wasn't any good, they'd say it.

Yes I do have a website.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
tycho does the corn help them grow? Im being serious

Actually, that's a great question. A bit of an explanation first.

You'll notice when corn is planted at the start of the season, it's not the vibrant green you expect from a corn field. It's a little pale, but at about 2.5 feet tall, and as temperatures rise (mid june here), the green darkens up and you can almost see it stuff grow. The reason for that is that Nitrogen is being released. Nitrogen(N) molecules are BIG and can't "fixate" to the soil (like P & K can). So N washes away with the spring runoff and rains. But corn need LOTS of Nitrogen, so farmers add heat released (time released) Nitrogen to the field before planting (Soybean makes it's own N!). Once temperatures start increasing and N is released, the corn goes nuts on it.

If you stick your weed in a field when the N is starting to release, then your plant gets it too!

Another thing is that farmers have their soil tested. If it's deficient in ANYTHING, they'll add it. Lime, Potash, whatever. Failure to do that mean a failed crop. Farmers can add 35k in fertilizer on one field alone.
picture.php

A farmer will also try to keep the soil PH in the 6.2 to 6.8 range. Well isn't that convenient. lol.

This means your weed will have a super healthy smorgasbord and they WILL get bigger. Woot Woot!

A word of caution.
If you plant in corn like this, you'll get busted.
picture.php

Look for imperfections in planting. Like this, then go to town.
picture.php

picture.php

The yellow stuff in the picture above are dying weeds and tells you the field has already been sprayed, so it's safe to plant.

Soil in a corn field is usually *very compact. So use a garden auger or a modified ice auger on a cordless drill. Go 6-12 inches deep and mess that shit up underground (bend sideways in the hole with the auger), and add a scoop of PromixBX to give the roots some air.
picture.php

Stay safe and good luck this season.

Sunshineinabag

these are going out

these are going out

gonna pop the jamaicans line this week

here are the first wave

Attachments

• IMG_20200319_134200.jpg
    IMG_20200319_134200.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200319_134156.jpg
    IMG_20200319_134156.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 43

Sunshineinabag

nothing super deep freeze....so being in the valley for me makes it so i can get into the ground at least 2-4 weeks quicker then say someone in the NEK northeast kingdom planting in saint johnsbury for example. My gawd do these things stink tycho

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
They brighten up a room eh?

The 1st ones I grew were in my veggie garden 75 feet away. I had a bbq for our city friends and family. We were sitting on the deck having drinks before dinner and every once in a while the smell would waft over to us. The wife would look at me and I'd say "yep. I can smell it. That skunk is back." City dwellers never seen a country skunk before I guess because they were leaning over the railings looking for a skunk. Lol. They never saw the weed. I said "you have to look in the bush because it won't come out in the open." :D

Latest posts

Latest posts