Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > DIY grow cabinet wood question

Thread Title Search
DIY grow cabinet wood question Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2020, 09:02 PM #1
extremophile420

extremophile420 is on a distinguished road
DIY grow cabinet wood question

I decided to build a 180cm width, 200cm height, 60cm depth cabinet.

1- after reading many threads, i decided to go with plywood (other choices were OSB and MDF). Do you think this is the right wood decision?

2- my budgets allows me for 1/4" plywood coverings to cover the frame. Is 1/4" good for a grow cabinet? (longetivity, practicality, general grow environment), or should i wait until i can afford 1/2"? Does it make a difference in the long term? I dont really plan on upgrading, this will be my grow area for as long as it can last, so i want to build it right from the first time.
extremophile420 is offline Quote

Old 01-02-2020, 11:33 PM #3
GMT
I am, therefore I think

GMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivorGMT is a survivor
The thicker the ply the greater the heat insulation. If I could afford it, I'd build one from thin polished aluminium sheeting on a frame, to allow for better heat transfer, but in reality, whatever its made of, so long as the frame is solid, and you can get the heat out, you should be good to go. Hell you'd piss yourself laughing if you saw my set up.
GMT is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:40 PM #4
Bud Green
I dig dirt

Bud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivor
The 1/4 will be plenty, as long as the frame is sturdy..

Try looking at panels such as masonite that have a slick surface for the inside..They make a glossy white masonite..
Easy to wipe down..

Isn't Mother Nature grand !
Bud Green is offline Quote

Old 01-02-2020, 11:56 PM #5
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
I had a cabinet back in the early 2000's, looked like a nice custom built wine cabinet. Worked well for small incognitos grows (autoflowers). Used it for a year or 2, then passed onto med patient.

As Bud Green says, 1/4" ample. Cover with reflective insulation layer, make sure you have several PCU fans with carbon filters. LEDs or several dual T5's. Door, have a layer of foam insulation around door and latches.

Good luck!!

Seeds have the power to preserve species, to enhance cultural as well as genetic diversity, to counter economic monopoly and to check the advance of conformity on all its many fronts.
Michael Pollan
"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis

afterthought autos
We are passionate auto breeders growing organically in the USA since 2008 and offer 34 autoflowering strains, 15 photoperiods, 10 CBD hemp hybrids in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 14.5 years, and running strong! We're on SEEDBAY again...trio of goodies - autos, photoperiods and CBD hemp strains!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770

Last edited by aridbud; 01-03-2020 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Removed Sr.!!!
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 01-03-2020, 04:55 PM #6
extremophile420

extremophile420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Green View Post
The 1/4 will be plenty, as long as the frame is sturdy..

Try looking at panels such as masonite that have a slick surface for the inside..They make a glossy white masonite..
Easy to wipe down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
The thicker the ply the greater the heat insulation. If I could afford it, I'd build one from thin polished aluminium sheeting on a frame, to allow for better heat transfer, but in reality, whatever its made of, so long as the frame is solid, and you can get the heat out, you should be good to go. Hell you'd piss yourself laughing if you saw my set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koondense View Post
Plywood is good, mdf is worst.

Osb are a cool option too.

You will have to apply some reflective material anyway, or paint.
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridbud View Post
I had a cabinet back in the early 2000's, looked like a nice custom built wine cabinet. Worked well for small incognitos grows (autoflowers). Used it for a year or 2, then passed onto med patient.

As Bud Green Sr. says, 1/4" ample. Cover with reflective insulation layer, make sure you have several PCU fans with carbon filters. LEDs or several dual T5's. Door, have a layer of foam insulation around door and latches.

Good luck!!
I will get plywood for sure, moisture treated then painted flat white.

However my concern was thickness, as i dont want my grow box to last for a year or two then starts to give problems. I want as much longetivity within my budget. Is 1/4" able to handle years of growing?
extremophile420 is offline Quote

Old 01-06-2020, 01:20 PM #7
Iamnumber

Iamnumber is a jewel in the roughIamnumber is a jewel in the roughIamnumber is a jewel in the roughIamnumber is a jewel in the roughIamnumber is a jewel in the roughIamnumber is a jewel in the roughIamnumber is a jewel in the rough
there are many different types of plywood. What wood is used and if the plywood is treated to repel water (this is usually done with better wood as coating already makes it more expensive). my vote goes marine grade plywood (treated against water as opposed to adding this protection myself)

Do consider the weigh as total surface area of cabinet will get fairly big and total weight will add up with thicker plywood.

also .. comparing two sheets of same thickness.. the one with more (thinner) layers will have better structural strength.
Iamnumber is offline Quote

Old 01-06-2020, 02:49 PM #8
mowood3479

mowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant futuremowood3479 has a brilliant future
CDX be preferable to osb but really either will be fine if u seal with a good paint
mowood3479 is offline Quote

Old 01-06-2020, 03:52 PM #9
I'mback
Comfortably numb!

I'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremophile420 View Post
I will get plywood for sure, moisture treated then painted flat white.

However my concern was thickness, as i dont want my grow box to last for a year or two then starts to give problems. I want as much longetivity within my budget. Is 1/4" able to handle years of growing?
Having built many cabinets in my day, 1/4" is normally reserved for the backing, as that is simply a "cover" more or less. If it was me, and as you stated, you are after longevity. I would use 3/8".

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,

but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...

I'mback is offline Quote

Old 01-06-2020, 03:56 PM #10
I'mback
Comfortably numb!

I'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivorI'mback is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnumber View Post
there are many different types of plywood. What wood is used and if the plywood is treated to repel water (this is usually done with better wood as coating already makes it more expensive). my vote goes marine grade plywood (treated against water as opposed to adding this protection myself)

Do consider the weigh as total surface area of cabinet will get fairly big and total weight will add up with thicker plywood.

also .. comparing two sheets of same thickness.. the one with more (thinner) layers will have better structural strength.
... as in Baltic Birch plywood, available at any Home Depot

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,

but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...

I'mback is offline Quote