What's new

How I germinate

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Many asks. Here is my way

Making seeds germinate is not rocket science.
Think about what happens in nature.
Nothing is sterilized or pH-adjusted.

I put the seeds in a cup of tap water.
First, they lie in the surface. After 5-15 hours they go to bottom when I dot them.
If they do not sink to the bottom - then they are (normally) dead.
The living seeds usually open after 12 hours or up to 3-4 days.

I grow in soil. So I put the living seeds about 1 cm under surface into unpolluted soil.

And then it's just being patient.
I try to keep 22-25 degrees celsius.
If the seeds are good, there is 100% result, and they make it through the surface after 1 to 3-4 days.
Keep them moisted. Dont drown them.

Best luck :plant grow:

P :smoker:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, that'll work! Sounds great!!

We put in food grade hydrogen peroxide in filtered water and let soak for 24-48 hrs....works like a charm!

There's a myriad of ways to germinate. In the summer, just warm soil from sunshine, medium soaked, add a sprinkle of Great White Mycorrhizae in a depression, plunk seed in cover.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find using a squirt bottle is a great way to administer water to the surface of the soil to help keep them moist.

What kind of soil do you use? Commercially available or older, depleted soil from previous grows?

I use older soil mixed with vermicompsot and other related things that get soaked in my ACTs. The perlite I add is the stuff out of my cloner after it turns green on top. I just skim it off and mix it in to the soil. Then add fresh to my cloner and mix it all up to be ready for the next group of clones.

My teas consist of worm castings, 2 scoops of Easy Weed (The scoops are comically small. Probably a 1/4 teaspoon.), 2 T of blackstrap molasses, 3ml of Mammoth P. And a couple times I added 2 T of fish hydrolysate and 2 T of Down to Earth Rose and Flower fertilizer. This is all brewed in a 5 gallon bucket of RO water for 36-48 hours. I figure by the time it's done brewing it's pretty depleted of any real nutrients and should be pretty inert.

It's what I keep my moms in. And I have to feed them weekly to keep them from yellowing up.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We DIY with additives, soil not depleted, so re-energizing is all we do, adding teas to build up soil, add some Fertiloam or Black Gold (1/4 bag) to mix with mentioned standard items, mixing in cement mixer. We like to keep it organic, all what earth or fish do, nothing else. Perlite remains and becomes smaller remixing.

Sound like a great way to get great results, GB!

T

Teddybrae

Little bit of compost + soil, sharp sand, coco ...

Like Paddi sez: 1 cm (3/8 inch) below surface of seed mix.

Under sprinkler for ten minutes twice a day in 25% shade.

Yep, 4 - 5 days.

(Oh, and keep cool. Yep, 24 degrees C.)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Little bit of compost + soil, sharp sand, coco ...

Like Paddi sez: 1 cm (3/8 inch) below surface of seed mix.

Under sprinkler for ten minutes twice a day in 25% shade.

Yep, 4 - 5 days.

(Oh, and keep cool. Yep, 24 degrees C.)

Great tips/tricks!!

Bsinger

I just tried scuffing seeds and then hydrogen peroxide for 30 mins and 24 hour float on 20 year old seeds. Out of 12, 7 grew.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Good stuff, ty for sharing. :)

My experience is a bit different. I find very few 'floater' seeds are 'dead,' and sprout just fine. I generally soak for 12-18hrs. Definitely check different batches/genetics of the seeds you're using. Who knows? :)

I wood

I just tried scuffing seeds and then hydrogen peroxide for 30 mins and 24 hour float on 20 year old seeds. Out of 12, 7 grew.

Scuffing was sometimes problematic in that cotyledons would snag and become deformed on irregular edges of seed shell. Damaged seedlings are much harder to keep alive. This cost me a few precious seeds before i switched to cracking the shell instead.

H2O2 soak, on to paper towel wet with same h2o2 solution for two or three days at constant temperature , then crack what didn’t sprout and back onto new paper towel.
This way no healthy seeds are damaged with unnecessary cracking. Seeds also seem to crack much better and easier after they swell up.
This has been working well for about a year now with similar results to chimeras seed starting protocol.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've had seeds turn black with no action at all. I only had a few of these and I wasn't about to jump on a plane for 48 hours just to get more (landrace). I put the seeds on end (sideways) in a pair of vise grips. I gently turned the screw to close the jaws in an attempt to crack the seed. When it did crack, the root shot out like it was in a tube of toothpaste. I used a couple big needles to remove the shell, planted it and TADAAAAAA.

2 plants for the save. :D :tiphat: