What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi x Ethiopian and Mulanje (Malawi)

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tang looking good,
I particularly like the look of those seeds, a little bit far south for me though after my experience with GT last year.
I've been eyeing off the A5Killer lately wondering if that would finish around the end of April around these parts??
I also wanted to say "thank you" for posting up the link, a few weeks back, for the LED lights and l see they've made a bit of a cameo in one of the photos; looks like they're producing the Christmas presents as expected.
I've been looking at getting a single one, in order, to have a crack at producing some S1s and female seeds. I need a light that runs at around two amps because I'm off grid and can only afford the power during the summer.
Anyway, thanks again,
Cheers,
Def worth the money I see they have a panel with the latest higher output chips from samsung only $20 more.
If I had seen them I would have ordered them for sure higher output same current draw.
Still I checked on the Mulanji this morning I could not believe my eyes it seems to be filling out and maturing faster every day.
Going back over my thread they will be 8 weeks flowering 9 if you count from first pistils by Christmas and very close to an early harvest window by the looks.
I go away for 2 weeks after Christmas so I either harvest before or when I get back depends on how they look.
It must be the effects of pollination and the 10/14 light schedule since day 1.
I have never had sativas finish so quickly before. The Mulanje in particular is getting so big and fat another 4 weeks and mold might become an issue the buds are so dense.
The only thing I'm doing differently is using LED panels.
Maybe its the 3000k output apposed to the CMH I usually use which is great but they grow for longer.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hot weather

Hot weather

Today outside was 39c inside the grow box is 35c with good dry air flow.
The next 4 days are all 40c or over sometimes it gets to 39c inside the box.
I have the blumats tuned to keep them hydrated with slightly nuted water as long as they have a good water supply they seem to handle the heat fine.
These pics were taken with both LEDs on.
The new growth seen in the last two pics are some clones I took of the M x E.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
5 weeks to 6 weeks

5 weeks to 6 weeks

The M x E #1 are fast finishing in the heat another 2 weeks I reckon they will be just right for a racy spacey cob cure ha ha

And first up the Mulanje she will be getting close by Christmas at 8/9 weeks? Is that even possible?
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

funkyhorse

Hi Tangwena

I am curious about your lights, what version are you using? In their website I see they have a V2, a V3 and a V4
They are all supposed to be Samsung and Meanwell drivers. Then I read this post below and I wonder if you have any way to know if what you got is the real stuff or fakes:

most of the Chinese companies who build quantum board design fixtures they will either use cheap Epistar or LG LED chips and claim they are Samsung as they know people will not be able to tell the difference, on that note go to the sellers business listing at the bottom left of the page.

Notice it says: Business seller information
LG-LED SOLUTIONS LIMITED

Can you see reference to "LG LED" given the fake Samsung stuff use LG Chips can you see the potential issue with what they are most likely selling?

Notice they have had to waterproof their boards, but genuine Samsung Chips employ Anti-sulfurization coating technology which protects the LEDs from harsh environments such as foggy & humidity of 100%. Samsung LED chips are UL 1598 damp-rated, so there is no need to waterproof genuine Samsung chip boards as they come water-resistant as standard

HLG use Osram chips, notice Spider does not mention what there coloured diodes are
The Chinese are renowned for using fake parts and they do not respect intellectual property rights as there is generally no recourse so in all likelihood they are probably using Fake Meanwell drivers as they are cheap and most people would not be able to tell the difference and the company knows it.

Now we come to the price and this is by far the biggest indicator because a light that was built with genuine high-quality parts like Samsung/Osram chips and Genuine Meanwell drivers is not going to be cheap due to the fact the parts are expensive.

And about the speed on maturity of your Mulanje, I have seen this very interesting post. Did you seed the whole plant?
I hope I am making the quote thing properly...

Thai what a beautiful plant and picture! I know you remember the lumbo, that smell, the taste and incredible effect. I'm working on it, slow but sure.
While I am waiting for a mangobiche to finish flowering (seed planted in April, no lights just outside) I realized none of the Colombian I had in the 70s early 80s was sinsemilla. The import always was pollinated, some batches more than others. My current plant has been flowering for 4.5 5 months and still going strong. That got me thinking that maybe "sinsemilla" cultivation is not an effective method here. I've open pollinated the same mangobiche and the seeds were ready in 6 weeks or so. To me the effect of the 6 week seeded flower is equal to the 22+ week seedless flower.
Just a thought

red rider

CodyPomeray

Wonderful grow brotha, you really do them justice. Can not wait to get some ace stock running. I could pop a bit tonight but, cycle says wait a week or so, so I will.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena

I am curious about your lights, what version are you using? In their website I see they have a V2, a V3 and a V4
They are all supposed to be Samsung and Meanwell drivers. Then I read this post below and I wonder if you have any way to know if what you got is the real stuff or fakes:

And about the speed on maturity of your Mulanje, I have seen this very interesting post. Did you seed the whole plant?
I hope I am making the quote thing properly...
Hi my friend I bought 2 panels from different suppliers I will post links below.
One supposedly has extra far red and UV the other just samsung boards with 660 nm

I cant comment on their authenticity but the look legit and the flowers love them plus they were $105 and $130 each respectively.
Its a fact that chinese copy everything and dont always tell the truth.
But compared to the guaranteed authentic boards prices which I cant afford I can afford these.

So I dont care its just a light source the plants grow like crazy they are cheap as chips and they work.
I cant afford the latest greatest versions sold in America I just use what I can afford.

I agree with Red Rider on the seedless heads they are nice but lightly seeded buds are better IMO.
Also the plant flowers for a shorter period if seeded as it feels it has achieved its main goal in life reproduction.
The strongest most trippy grass I ever smoked was seeded Malawi and Thai stick all had mature seeds in them.

I dont want to get into a debate over whats best and why everyone has different tastes and it depends what you grew up with I think.
As long as your happy with what you are growing and your getting as high as you can handle it shouldn't matter what others think to you.
I have found the varieties I like the highs I like and could not be happier its the best you can hope to achieve in life I think.

Here are the links scroll down the pages and check out the specs.
I can vouch for their ultra fast delivery and fantastic service.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.5ecc795bRUzLwz

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Yuanhui-newest-qb288-240w-V4-hlg_62350834183.html

Tangwena

Veteran
Wonderful grow brotha, you really do them justice. Can not wait to get some ace stock running. I could pop a bit tonight but, cycle says wait a week or so, so I will.
My friend just about anyone could do better than me but if I cant kill them I am sure anyone can grow them.
The forecast temps for the next 3 days are 41c thats hot! the grow box will hit 40c for sure its only cooling is from air sucked in from a roof space with a metal roof above it gets HOT ha ha.
But sativas are used to that heat especially African ones. I have blumat drippers on 24/7 watering them with water with an EC of 0.8 total.
I took a seeded bud from the Mulanje yesterday and the seeds need another 2 weeks at least so that will be 8 weeks by Christmas I may just take the seeded branches and leave the rest another 2 weeks while I'm away on holiday.
I will make the call on boxing day.

funkyhorse

Tangwena, I am certainly not in the mood to generate debates nor polemic arguments
I find them non productive and egocentric. Usually debates are into winning them even with distorting facts and I dont see the point
I come here for knowledge.
You are a teacher and I learn a lot from you. You are the only teacher at this forum from my same latitude and with you I discovered what was a lot of stuff I smoked and handled in my life thanks to your cob thread
I am a newcomer to the growing world but I had a parallel profession to seedhunting which is handicraft ethnic jewellery hunting. And as a earring, bracelet seller at exotic far away beaches, it seems people have the idea that people doing my job are the guys to go to ask for ganja and the local growers seemed to think the same too, so I handled a lot of many different ganjas in my life at the 5 continents and I have seen a thing or two which helps me learn fast and also I know what I like and I have no problem at all with anyone tastes on cannabis, food or whatever. Diversity makes life more interesting
One day I got tired of selling rings and anklets and I decided to try foreign language teaching in Asia. I became a rural english teacher in deep China where I was the only pale face in more than 200 kms around me. It was a life changing job, I learnt mandarin and my life changed.
I sprouted my first seed in my life feb 2018, before that I thought potatoes were growing at the supermarket shelf and buds grow at the dealers backpack. I never thought I was going to like this hobby so much. It is a life changing hobby. I took a year off to learn and it is becoming two years off and I am going quite intensively at it. So maybe in a burst of passion and enthusiasm I might be critical and categorical about some things going on in the cannabis world that might be confused with a debating or provoking mood. I know perfectly well truth is provoking, and I hope it is taken in a possitive way.

I am not criticizing your chinese quantum boards, the opposite is true, I am curious about them. I think the same as you in terms of money costs for american lamps
The only thing that is stopping me from buying the chinese lamps is the shipping cost which is for me as high as the cost of the lamp itself, thats why I ask you.
My only worry about them is if they would handle humidity properly
I am also seeing the stuff a competing chinese company called Mars Hydro which is sponsor here have released lately.
The quality gap between top quality very expensive lights and the cheapeast ones is narrowing by the day. I am surprised how fast this technology is advancing and it seems HM, HPS and CMH technologies that include the use of a ballast are getting obsolete and a thing of the past
Did you find any difference in output or quality between both lamps you bought? They are from the same company

I also didnt see this is an Ace Seeds thread. I am growing some of their stuff
I agree with you and Red Rider, the best ganja I smoked was lightly seeded. If the best ganja you smoked in your life was african, south american or asian, is a subjective matter. I smoked them at their place of origin. And seeds were always part of the equation, seeds were always rubbish, I have thrown during my life millions of dollars in seeds to the garbage at today prices...
I am also in your same situation regarding buying/receiving seeds. Because of this I must reproduce and make seeds myself. So I keep some selected male outside.
I just cut my Honduras x Panama at 50 days with all trichomes milky, I didnt wait for them to get ambar. I thought it was too fast and was a little disappointed because I wanted to get the same as the rest of you
She was next to the intraction ventilation and I am realizing now the outdoors male on a windy day brought some polen through this intraction and Honduras x Panama was a goalkeeper catching the little polen coming in. It probably happened when she just started flowering, because I am finding about 1 seed per bud. But it seems it was enough to accelerate her ripening. Certainly a very productive variety, if you are after productivity this is your strain. As you said Tangwena, dry it and smoke it, it hits.
There is a huge sinsemilla culture. I am going to try this light seeding now on one of two very long flowering cut I have going. I will try to lightly seed it by using a little male branch with pollen at the beginning of flowering and see if it cuts flowering time against the other cut.

I think you should open a new thread: The art of lightly seeding long flowering strains
Like cobs, once you fine tune it, it's gold. If this works and is truth it cuts flowering time on long flowering strains, I find very difficult to understand the logic behind how the sinsemilla culture has imposed itself and become a standard

Have a nice weekend

Tangwena

Veteran
Wow funkyhorse what a great wealth of life experiences you have had its nothing short of amazing.
Reading it I was just blown away as I read more I wanted to read more you could write a book my friend amazing life you have had.
As far as the chinese LEDs go what you see is what you get, until I have used them for a few grows I can't comment.
I started with 600w HPS then changed up the 750w CMH and now 500w LED's each change has been for the better each time.
The best buds are outside but its illegal where I am so inside or get busted for me for privacy.
I am no expert no do I claim to be I just show what I am doing and what I am doing it with and finally how I cure the product.
I dont try and sell anything just show what I am doing.

I agree with what you say about everything its better to try something different than just follow what everyone else is doing if you fail show it just the same as if you succeed.
Everything I do has been done before just forgotten or disregarded in the race to be the same as the rest.
I enjoyed reading your post my friend the canna world needs more free thinkers like you hats off to you man.

Tangwena

Veteran
Week 8 flowering Malawi x Ethiopian

Week 8 flowering Malawi x Ethiopian

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
Well these are on 8 weeks now I will harvest them by the end of this week as they will die soon and then the buds will be no use to me.
I think a combination of hot growing conditions, seeding the lower branches and a few hiccups early in flowering all my fault has caused them to finish a bit earlier than my last grow of these.
But the buds I have are very sticky and smell just like I was expecting.
With the right cure they will be dynamite for sure. Good things come in small packages sometimes ha ha.
I have clones so I can do an outdoor scrog of these for fat buds at the end of summer.
Particularly pheno one its def the keeper of the two phenos I have.
Pheno 2 has bigger buds but pheno 1 is the same as my last grow of this strain 5 star high and effect.

Heres the pics.

picture.php
picture.php

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
They look like they have room to fill out more. But your high temps and the seeding must be finishing them up way early. I hope you end up with some stellar cobs. :)

Tangwena

Veteran
They look like they have room to fill out more. But your high temps and the seeding must be finishing them up way early. I hope you end up with some stellar cobs. :)
Your spot on with that observation my friend last grow I got another phase of flowering out of them.
I will leave them as late as possible.
This run was for seeds mainly I will def get better results from the clones when I put them outside around end of Feb to flower in our Autumn.
I am super happy to have clones of pheno 1 last time I scrogged them at the end of our summer I got the most beautiful aromatic buds very very potent as well.
Outside they really shine in the sun.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Stay cool Tang. The heat wave you guys are having sounds awful, along with the fires. At least you'll be high though, haha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Malawi x Ethiopia #1

Malawi x Ethiopia #1

I cut this plant at 8/9 weeks and you know what I reckon it will turn out alright.
Practice on this plant and get it right on the clone.
Heres what 24hrs can do it smells sexy as I think I'm on the right track.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Woah, 8-9 weeks seems awful fast. My indoor clone went about 12-14 I think. But it looked much more small nug Ethiopian than big flower Malawi.

Tangwena

Veteran
Woah, 8-9 weeks seems awful fast. My indoor clone went about 12-14 I think. But it looked much more small nug Ethiopian than big flower Malawi.
I cant believe it myself there were still white pistils showing but it was drying all the shade leaves were dead and the sugar leaves yellowing.
Time will tell once its cured and aged.
From the smell and resin I dont think it will disappoint though.
The Mulanje was still reflowering though but I couldn't leave it any longer I didn't want to leave it unattended while I was away.
I did leave some nice fat lowers on the plant to finish them off.
So I can compare the difference in the highs.
I am not too worried as I have had two previous harvests that I had to take earlier for varies reasons beyond my control and for reasons I cant explain the highs from the cured cobs were better than the highs from cobs made from more mature buds of the same plants.
Two times this has happened so I am looking forward to seeing if it happens again with this lot its a puzzle for sure.
I have clones of all of them so I can flower them fully next grow to compare.
Its all a learning experience I just love pushing the envelope ha ha.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats on another indoor african sativa harvest, friend :)

8-9 weeks of flowering! That's really fast, Ethiopian x Malawi F1 hybrid usually needs 12-13 weeks to finish, but surprisingly yours looks quite done, probably due to high temps and early pollination. Glad to know the cobs you have done with early harvested buds have been as good or even better than the cobs made from fully ripe flowers. Curious to know your opinion about Mulanje as well.

Wish you are having a great trip, and all the best for 2020! ;)

Tangwena

Veteran
Congrats on another indoor african sativa harvest, friend :)

8-9 weeks of flowering! That's really fast, Ethiopian x Malawi F1 hybrid usually needs 12-13 weeks to finish, but surprisingly yours looks quite done, probably due to high temps and early pollination. Glad to know the cobs you have done with early harvested buds have been as good or even better than the cobs made from fully ripe flowers. Curious to know your opinion about Mulanje as well.

Wish you are having a great trip, and all the best for 2020! ;)
Hi my friend I wouldn't recommend picking them this early normally but i had no option to leave them unattended.
The very early picking of a very nice looking Purple Honduras x Panama fem cured cob style is my current favorite buzz.
I dont think this lot will disappoint either.
The cure brings out a crazy energetic loonatic type buzz when chewed.
Either that or I'm loosing my mind probably a bit of both ha ha.
Dubi you should look into Mulanje if you can get some pure I am sure you have the skills to make it shine.
I am growing clones of all the plants for a more mature harvest to be absolutely sure of the different effects.
I find late harvests tend to be too narcotic sometimes ok for jar curing of course but cobs effect the high in strange ways.
OR I may be just loosing my mind ha ha either way its really cool and I just go with the flow.

Tangwena

Veteran
Mulanje candy bar

Mulanje candy bar

These buds are going for aging now sealed up after a light drying.
They smell like sweet wild honey and flowers so cool.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts