What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Consistent CBD strain?

Im'One

Are any of today's strain consistently high in CBD? I'm not talking about cloning and finding the best phenometc. I want to be able to grow a plant and know that it is high cbd and low thc before I purchase and germinate!
Also is there an inexpensive test for cbd? I have a strain of Lebanese that doesn't get me high but does make me awake and feel good? Can I test it for cbd or other cannabinoid?

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
You could try the CBD Therapy from CBD crew. There’s also some others that claim to have consistently under 1% thc. Sweet Seeds and Seedman have a variety they say has under 1%

For testing your Lebanese var, why not try the beam test? You can set it up yourself by buying all the bits you need. There’s a few threads detailing how to do it. Below is a detailed post that might lead you in the right direction.

Hi everyone, I actually performed the Beam Test on the Lullablock var. (CBD lullaby X Blockhead). The results of 3 females were originally posted in my test run back in Nov 15’. I was asked to provide a repost and a quick outline on this easy test. Here we go:
Material list: I modified the items slightly due to availability with the 91% Isopropyl replacing the ethanol.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63693&pictureid=1555416&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

• Potassium Hydroxide Flakes (KOH)
• 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
• Mineral Spirits
• Liquid Measuring Container
• Eye Dropper

I measured out 5g of the potassium hydroxide and put it into 100ml of isopropyl alcohol. Stir to dissolve (it will be cloudy initially) and set aside.
Take your 1 gram flower sample and make sure it is dry (I used cured bud left out overnight in hot dry environment). If using bud that is still in fresh and moist, a quick dry in an oven at 150° C or 300°F for a couple minutes. Put the flower sample into your porcelain dish with your 10ml organic solvent (in my case Mineral Spirits) and stir. After a few minutes, strain the extracted resin/solvent into your porcelain dish. Heat the dish so that the solvent evaporates and you are left with the resin. Be careful heating any of this stuff near an open flame as the solvent and isopropyl are flammable.
Once the solvent has evaporated you can proceed to add to add about 5 drop of your KOH/Isopropyl solution and observe the reaction. If your sample turns pink, violet or purple your sample has either chemotype II or III (for the CBD lullaby only Chemotype II- mixed CBD:THC is present). If you do not observe a color change you have chemotype I…THC predominant plant.
As you can see from the photo I had two plants that are rich in chemotype II and one that is chemotype I predominant. The Beam test is a quick and easy way to determine your plants chemotype.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63693&pictureid=1520783&thumb=1]View Image[/url] high thc plant [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63693&pictureid=1504592&thumb=1]View Image[/url] ; high cbd plants bottom right dish [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63693&pictureid=1504591&thumb=1]View Image[/url] bottom left dish [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63693&pictureid=1504590&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

As you can see the top dish contains the resin from my high THC plant and the bottom two are from the cbd rich plants i grew. I current keep one of each.
Color change= Bd/Bt higher cbd:thc ratio chemotype II, cbd predominant chemotype III with little or no THC of significant amount [not used in this line]
No color change= Bt/Bt THC predominant chemotype I.

Chimera has indicated that he intentionally included thc predominant Bt/Bt offsprings and not strictly high cbd/thc Bd/Bt populations for this high cdb varietal for reasons that will be made clear in the future.

ambertrichome

Veteran
From the latest research Ive read, a certain % of THC vs CBD is recommended, and pure CBD, and no THC has been linked to high liver enzyme levels.

I believe Sativex is 1:1.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
From the latest research Ive read, a certain % of THC vs CBD is recommended, and pure CBD, and no THC has been linked to high liver enzyme levels.

I believe Sativex is 1:1.

That’s pretty interesting. Do you have a link or quote?

At present the seed market is offering (from what I can gather) either very low THC of under 1% or a range of around 6 - 8% THC.

I haven’t seen any consistency where the chemotype was locked down at around 2 or 3 percent.

There’s probably also some similar health related problems with consuming pure THC. If you have too much of any extracted plant phytochemical (caffeine comes to mind) it’s going to be detrimental to your health. Unless of course you suffer symptoms of a long standing ailment which are much worse than the prolonged after effects of taking medicinal plants.

ambertrichome

Veteran
CBD Use Linked To Liver Damage -

In recent years, CBD has been hailed as a health product by everyone from hipsters to health professionals, but a new study indicates that taking CBD could have a nasty effect on your liver, much like other drugs that affect the organ.
The study, published in the journal Molecules, looked at the effects of CBD on the livers of mice. The mice were given doses that aligned with the human equivalent of the maximum dose of CBD in Epidiolex, the only marijuana-based medication approved by the FDA.
The researchers found that CBD quickly had a detrimental effect on the mice’s liver. In addition, the way that the compound affected the mice indicated that it could have dangerous interactions with other drugs.
“CBD exhibited clear signs of hepatotoxicity, possibly of a cholestatic nature,” study authors wrote. “The involvement of numerous pathways associated with lipid and xenobiotic metabolism raises serious concerns about potential drug interactions as well as the safety of CBD.”
Speaking with Nutra, lead study author Igor Koturbash said that the results show that more information is needed about the safe use of CBD.
“I don’t want to say that CBD is bad and we should ban it,” he said. “But in my opinion there is clearly not enough research.”
This isn’t the first time that CBD use has been linked to liver disease. In fact, the FDA requires Epidiolex to carry a warning about liver issues, and patients who receive the drug have their livers monitored regularly. Even in the testing phases of the drug, there were indications of adverse liver reactions.
“There is a potential for liver injury,” Koturbash said. “If you look at the Epidiolex label, it clearly states a warning for liver injury; it states you have to monitor the liver enzyme levels of the patients. In the clinical trials 5% to 20% of patients developed elevated liver enzymes and some patients were withdrawn from the trials.”
Koturbash explained that the way that CBD affects the body could also cause a host of other unintended side-effects, including in the way that other drugs are processed.
“CBD differentially regulated more than 50 genes, many of which were linked to oxidative stress responses, lipid metabolism pathways and drug metabolizing enzymes,” he said. “There is a potential for herb/drug interactions.”
In fact, Koturbash has another study about drug and herb interactions with CBD that is pending publication. In the meantime, he cautioned that there is still much to be discovered about CBD.

Im'One

Settled on dancehall. She is in many other strains and has a balance. Still waiting 4 cheap testing of the thc and cbd levels of home grown pot...

Latest posts

Latest posts