What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reveg with buds or without?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have revegged several times with buds left on the bottom third of plant. I recently was told by a old timer that if you cut the buds off and leave the nodes or just a bit of the bud, it works better as the buds release hormone that retards vegetative growth.

I am getting ready to reveg a few and want opinions on this. I know the more of the plant and buds I left on, the quicker it went into veg growth. Also, I had mostly lesser reveg growth than the original growth.

One exception, was a plant that never took off originally, then in reveg it thrived. I never changed the soil so the roots took hold some how and filled up the pot.

troutman

Seed Whore
I think they remove the buds and only leave the leaves. :tiphat:

I wonder if slowly increasing photoperiod over a few weeks is better than switching from 12/12 to let's say 18/6 overnight?

The more flowers left on the plant the better it revegs. Removing all the flowers will make for a struggle to reveg, I have my doubts it will even happen.

I thought buds released hormones that gradually retard vegetative growth - is this retardation not seen even absent revegging, in the later part of flower period?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Whenever I have revegged a plant (not many, maybe 7-9 times). The new veg growth always grew out of the left on buds first and then out of the other nodes later.

I have always heard that the more buds you leave, the more reveg sites you will have.

I've also heard that the highest buds on the branches that start closest to the soil level will start to reveg first.

Cannaseekr

From my experience you want to leave bud sites on the plant to reveg because the revegatative growth actually develops from the center of the flower where the stem is. The more I leave on my plants to reveg the better success rates I have. Also have noticed that if I remove the bud sites too soon after the veg growth has begun, the plant has a difficult time uptaking water due to decreased photosynthesis.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting, how long do you reveg before flipping them into flower?

Any pics would be cool!

I've never flipped a reveg back into flower.
I've reveged until the new shoots could be taken for the cloner,and then of to the shit pile for the reveged plant.

The plant is not healthy by that plant,and has no place going back into the bloom room.

THC123

Veteran
I have flowered revegged plants with excellent result!!

First I reveg them and let them. Then as soon as they are revegged it's a bloody jungle so I trim a lot and leave what I need. And then I do a little rootball trim, I remove about 1/3 of the rootball and then I transplant or in the same pot, or something bigger.

For a good reveg, leave some buds, but not too many or else you will have way too many branches and it slows down the process and it is annoying.

D3pthCharg3

Thanks for the insights everyone.

Just cut some clones off of a long flowering SSH at week 6 (just getting a decent amount of pistils at this point). I was considering cutting the newly formed immature bud off of one, and leave it on the other. Instead i opted for not f'ing too much with 'em, less is more, or in this case more is better, haha. Hoping this goes well, this one smells like heaven.

When I revegged Cannabis plants in the past I basically topped them and left a few little lower budsites and Fan Leaves.

If I remember correctly I trimmed the tips off of the Fan leaves kinda like you’d do for a Clone.

It took a couple weeks for new growth to start. The first few weeks of new growth were all single-bladed undeveloped Leaves.

You should wait until the plant is healthy again and putting out full 5-7 fingered leaves before flowering or trying to take clones.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can simply leave the buds on, only issue might be botrytis if buds are too dense.
Main thing though is pruning the roots, that's where the majority of flower hormones come from. Also your plant now has little green matter capable of photosynthesis, so not all the roots are needed. Prune the roots generously and the plant will re-veg quickly (It still will take a couple weeks).
CC

Nico Farmer

Authentic Strains Farm
Like others said,

After 4 weeks:

picture.php

Driver 8

You don't want to cut buds off, but rather cut them back.

And don't cut them back until you see new five bladed true leaves.

I find that pruning the old and browning flowers and lowest leaves from the regrowth shoots give me the best results.