What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OZZ goes micro

OZZ_

Veteran
What up IC?

I’ve been traveling for work the last few years and recently have moved into the city. I’ve had to put all my big boy grow toys in storage and my girl and I are now in a condo in a metropolitan area. I’ve been itching to do some growing and I have a ton of genetics that have been in cold storage for quite awhile now, and I need to break them out and get some new seeds made so I can leap frog those genes into the next decade, and get some nice smoke as well in the process.

My girl agreed to me growing in our small metropolitan condo if it was discreet, so this is what I came up with! It starts with this armoire:

picture.php

Then I framed the inside of the door jam, installed an 8”x8” darkroom Louver for the intake, and lined it with Mylar like so:

picture.php

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Then I stained the frame, added window insulation to seal the door and slapped in an HLG 100 LED panel. For exhaust I went with an nocturna industrial 120mm fan at 109 cfm/3000 RPM with a noctura fan speed controller. I bought some pc case fan flanges and ducting, a few metal pencil holders and carbon to make the carbon filter, and finally had a piece of glass cut to act as a heat shield and facilitate the heat removal off the LED panel. I added two regular 120mm noctura NF12 fans at 1500RPM/54 cfm for circulation:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OZZ_

Veteran
Finally, I found a low profile 4 gallon dish pan to use as my container as I’m an organic soil grower. The dish pan filled at an appropriate level ends up being about 2.5 gallons of soil. Then I searched high and low and found this plastic serving tray that acts as a drip tray, and built a PVC scrog net.

picture.php

picture.php

So first up in my armoire, is a feminized freebie I got with an order about 5 years ago. I always run a fem freebie before breaking into my prized genetics. I always run regular seeds, as my primary goal is to keep Indica and Sativa strains from the past pure as long as possible, so I want to leap frog the genetics through time by keeping seeds in cold storage, then when they get close to aging I break them out and produce some more seeds. So without further ado, my first test grow in the armoire is a chocolate mint OG fem freebie from Humboldt Seed Organization. I’m about 4 weeks from seed right now, topped last week at the fourth node. I’m not sure what to expect for stretch on this strain, but it’s an OG x GDP so heavy indica. I’m going to assume 1x to 2x. I’m thinking I’ll give her another week of veg then flip her to 12/12. I’d like to see her get close to touching the bottom of the scrog net before flipping her.

Grow area dimensions are a measly 22”L x 16”D and as far as height goes I have exactly 24” from the soil surface to the glass heat shield, so I’m thinking maybe I only have about 22” of height to work with! That’s a new one for me, I’m used to growing in a 3x3 tent with a 600w HPS and 50” of verticle space. I’m up for the challenge though and will consider it as an exercise in honing my growing skills! Especially since next up will be a bunch of ACE seeds 100% sativas. THATS going to be challenging. I hope you’ll all pull up a seat and come along for the ride, offering up your expertise and tips on how best to tackle these exotic sativas in such a small space, no less to produce seeds for my next 10 year leap frog through time!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Boocoodinkydow

Looks like you’re ready to rock and roll. Very well thought out and executed. I find these micro grows much more interesting than conventional gardens. Good luck.

Subbed up.

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey everyone, thanks for stopping by! I thought about removing the floor and dropping everything down but in the end I’d rather just deal with the height limitation. At most it would gain me 5” or so.... maybe ten, but all things considered I felt like just going this route and working on my trading skills to be best. We will see how long that sentiment lasts when I cram some sativas in here. Let the games begin!

OZZ_

Veteran
Either she’s a super slow vegger or I’m simply impatient, probably the latter. I’m really itching to move on to my prized genetics but made a rule for myself awhile ago that I would always do a test run, in any new setup, with a freebie first. Here we are though, week 4 of veg and I’m already getting the itchy trigger finger. I want to flip her but as you can see, we are not even reaching the bottom of the net yet. The way things are going I’m thinking it might be another 2 weeks.

Like I said I’ve never ran this strain, so I have no idea how much she will stretch once I flip her into flowering. Being an OG x GDP hybrid I’m guessing it’s not going to be much, maybe 1-2x so I better settle down and let her at least reach the net before flipping the switch. I tucked a few of the fan leaves as they were blocking a couple of the side branches that I want to encourage to catch up with the others. As of now she’s topped for six main colas.

Tick .... tock .... tick ..... tock

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey Northern Stoner! Thanks for stopping in I appreciate the kind words. Here’s to hoping she takes off this week so I can flip the switch soon.

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
So I’m switching this gal to 12/12 tonight, I got a bit ahead of myself and popped 8 ACE seeds Panama regs so we need to get things moving while I sex those out.

As for this girl, she’s showing signs of lock out already. I went against my better judgement because I couldn’t find promix locally. My tried and true soil mix is simply promix HP, worm castings, extra perilite with added lime and a nice granular added. If I see the need for more during flower I simply hit them with molasses and fish/seaweed.

Since I couldn’t find promix I went with Fox Farms Happt Frog. This shit has given me nothing but troubles already. It’s obvious it’s a soil PH issue. I might have mixed it a hair too hot as I’m also seeing signs of burnt tips too.

I’m dumping the whole batch of soil, I already coughed up the shipping charges and ordered a bag of promix. No way I’m letting my panama beauties touch this bullshit soil. I’m more mad at myself because I’ve went through this before and I know better. I swore years ago I’d never use anything else other than promix with worm castings but alas... here we are ��*♂️

Oh well this girl is going to have to deal with it, and I’m flipping her now because I’ll be needing the cab well before she’s done flowering.

Attachments

• 64355C9D-41D1-4663-AE90-596F5E96A952.jpg
    64355C9D-41D1-4663-AE90-596F5E96A952.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 6E8A0165-E227-4A43-9FD7-A00633A2C31F.jpg
    6E8A0165-E227-4A43-9FD7-A00633A2C31F.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 80F04C32-5982-4833-8770-060A12118527.jpg
    80F04C32-5982-4833-8770-060A12118527.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 83B78EDC-FA2F-464C-B6BC-28813ACEDA39.jpg
    83B78EDC-FA2F-464C-B6BC-28813ACEDA39.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
So I’m switching this gal to 12/12 tonight, I got a bit ahead of myself and popped 8 ACE seeds Panama regs so we need to get things moving while I sex those out.

As for this girl, she’s showing signs of lock out already. I went against my better judgement because I couldn’t find promix locally. My tried and true soil mix is simply promix HP, worm castings, extra perilite with added lime and a nice granular added. If I see the need for more during flower I simply hit them with molasses and fish/seaweed.

Since I couldn’t find promix I went with Fox Farms Happt Frog. This shit has given me nothing but troubles already. It’s obvious it’s a soil PH issue. I might have mixed it a hair too hot as I’m also seeing signs of burnt tips too.

I’m dumping the whole batch of soil, I already coughed up the shipping charges and ordered a bag of promix. No way I’m letting my panama beauties touch this bullshit soil. I’m more mad at myself because I’ve went through this before and I know better. I swore years ago I’d never use anything else other than promix with worm castings but alas... here we are ��*♂️

Oh well this girl is going to have to deal with it, and I’m flipping her now because I’ll be needing the cab well before she’s done flowering.

Hey OZZ_,

Thanks for posting on my thread and directing me to your great cab grow. Your cabinet is so beautiful man. Seriously impressed. :woohoo:

I see you’ve gone for Panama for your next strain. Great choice! A true benchmark of tamed sativas and a very charming plant to grow. Have you ever grown it before?

PF

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey OZZ_,

Thanks for posting on my thread and directing me to your great cab grow. Your cabinet is so beautiful man. Seriously impressed. :woohoo:

I see you’ve gone for Panama for your next strain. Great choice! A true benchmark of tamed sativas and a very charming plant to grow. Have you ever grown it before?

PF

Hey there Pandy, thanks for stopping by! I have not grown any pure Sativa as of yet, and certainly not attempted one in such a small space no less but I’m excited for the challenge. Just need to get this girl flowered and out of the cab so I can move on to the goods!

Monday I’ll be building another cabinet, it will be an all purpose mother/veg cab. I’ll update the thread here with the build deets. ��

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Koon and Starke.... thanks for the thumbs up it’s been a fun project to put together!

OZZ_

Veteran
The veg/mother can has been built! This is all the space I could afford in our small metropolitan condo. 23”Lx16”Dx19”H

I outfitted it with around 24w of under the counter LED lights... 2800 lumens total with 1800 lumens being 6500k and the remaining 1000 lumens being 5000k right down the center. Their slim design and lower output will allow me to use all the 19” of height I have available as the plants can basically grow right into the bulbs without burning... they are only about 1/4” thick so it works well vs a cfl or flouro

I still have to add an intake and exhaust but I’m waiting for a vent grill and some other misc parts so for now I’m just leaving the doors open on these 7 ACE seeds Panama’s that are gearing up to be sexed out in a month or so. I put down 8 seeds and all 8 sprouted but once planted in dirt only 7 popped above ground, which is plenty! I’ll need to trim them back heavily I’m sure while the Chocolate OG in the flower cab does her thing but that’s why I flipped her to 12/12 early anyway.

Oh... also I’ve got about 500 red wrigglers on their way, the final piece of the puzzle. I’ll be designing a small stackable worm bin I can stash somewhere without it being obnoxious.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Mate, this is so slick. Thanks very much for showing us how cab building should be done. Legend. I’m sure your current grow is going to make some great bud. :smokeit:

Also - I’m really looking forward to seeing what you do with all that Ace gear. Since I started growing Ace I haven’t used another seed bank. Not to say there isn’t a plethora of amazing genetics out there... just saying that if you have a passion for interesting and unique sativas you are in for a huge treat with Ace. :whee:

Latest posts

Latest posts