What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Harris to introduce U.S. Senate bill to decriminalize marijuana, expunge convictions

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic White House hopeful Kamala Harris will introduce a Senate bill on Tuesday to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level, erase past convictions and use funds from marijuana sales to invest in communities hit by the decades-long "war on drugs."
Harris, a U.S. senator from California and the state's former attorney general, will be joined by Democratic U.S. Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York, who will introduce the bill in the House of Representatives. Both serve on the judiciary panels in their respective chambers that would hold initial hearings on the measure.
A preview of the Harris-Nadler legislation was provided to Reuters by Harris' Senate office.
"Times have changed — marijuana should not be a crime," Harris said in a statement. "We need to start regulating marijuana, and expunge marijuana convictions from the records of millions of Americans so they can get on with their lives."
Harris' marijuana stances have evolved. In May 2018, the former prosecutor signed onto a bill by now fellow White House contender Senator Cory Booker to fully legalize it after previously supporting legalizing medical marijuana and decriminalizing past convictions.
Nadler said in a statement that as U.S. states have legalized marijuana use, those with past criminal convictions "still face second-class citizenship" and the "racially motivated enforcement of marijuana laws has disproportionately impacted communities of color."
Harris said their legislation, if passed, would be an "important step toward racial and economic justice."
The introduction of the bill comes one week before Harris will participate in the second Democratic presidential debate in Detroit. At the first debate last month in Miami, Harris sparred with former Vice President Joe Biden over his record on racial issues.
Harris' marijuana positions could offer another opportunity for her to contrast herself to Biden, the front-runner in a crowded Democratic field vying to face Republican President Donald Trump in the November 2020 election.
A criminal justice plan Biden released on Tuesday would decriminalize marijuana, expunge past convictions and legalize it for medical purposes, but stopped short of legalizing recreational usage, which he has said should be left up to the states. [nL2N24O01T]
Eleven states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational marijuana use. [nL2N23W11Q]
In addition to decriminalizing marijuana by removing it from the list of controlled substances and enabling states to set their own policies, the Harris-Nadler "Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act" would prohibit the denial of federal public benefits, including housing, due to marijuana use and mandate it would have no impact under immigration laws.
Additionally, 50% of the federal tax revenue generated by the marijuana industry would fund three grant programs. Two would aid those most adversely affected by the war on drugs by providing job-training services within and outside the marijuana industry. The third would provide financial assistance to small businesses in the marijuana industry owned and operated by economically disadvantaged individuals.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/harris-introduce-u-senate-bill-101244952.html

geneva_sativa

" Never make a politician grant you a favor,,, they will always want to control you forever. "

~ Bob knew what's up

Total hypocrisy,,, just another trick of the parasitic class,,, in the pursuit of power

Gry

The robo signed homes she gave to the banking industry
in California, demonstrated her true colors.
One might say it was how she proved her credentials.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Naddler and Harris are looking for political leverage for the democrats. But hey, if we get liberty out of it, I'm cool with that!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
She is gonna give you free healthcare as well. If you are part black like her, you can get some other freebies as well. She was giving to Willie Brown afik. She likes to give.

Pile of crud she is, but the silver lining would be pot going back to sane status. A plant not a menace to society.

G

Gauss

I think folks would do better to put the politics aside to focus on the matter of getting these people who are not legitimate criminals out of jail. I'm of the belief that to be a free man you don't ask permission in regard to things which don't effect anyone else, by that meter I am sure we could let many people out of jail/parole/probation for cannabis offenses and have a much better society for it. Sure, they will turn it into a red vs blue matter, but it's been my observation that many cannabis enthusiasts don't really buy into that crap on every token issue.

dddaver

Veteran
I've noticed that Californians, where Harris made her bones, generally have no love for the woman. This issue, like almost everything, is becoming a political football. Biden is putting this stance on his platform and issued the same thing on the same day according to the article. But the difference here is Harris is in congress now, and introducing it now. If this is really adopted NOW it can be feather in her cap. But I mostly agree with Gauss's point though. Who really cares the politics of it and who does what? Just freakin' do it already.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Expungment is no doubt a good thing.
Will they still continue to arrest folks for growing in a legal state.

I dont get it?????
All this talk of letting folks out of jail, meanwhile more and more are being arrested for growing cannabis with out the proper paperwork.

Just tell the public the government has lied for years about cannabis and end the madness once and for all.

This would be easy if it were not for all of the greedy people in the way.

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
Hope it happens, but shes changed her tune since her SF attorney, and hoping to trade this for political votes

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the discussion guys! I tend to agree. The people are uniting around an issue! Its great! Democrate, republicans, libertarians, and political athiests can all agree on something! Maybe we'll have more respect going around as a result...

I am wondering when CBD cannabis hemp can be grown at home as well.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
..... I tend to agree. The people are uniting around an issue! Its great! Democrate, republicans, libertarians, and political athiests can all agree on something! Maybe we'll have more respect going around as a result...

I'm hoping that trump sees what a popular bi-partisan idea this is, co-ops it as his own and legalizes NOW, just as a good distraction from whatever is going on that we need to be distracted from.

......but pipeline, I'm curious, why did you capitalize Democrat but not any of the other groups??:yes:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have said it all along and I am sticking with it. The current administration will NEVER let a candidate go to the polls with cannabis as their platform. It's too big.

If any hopeful gets past first base, the current admin will pull the rug out from under them with a de-scheduling or other event. What? 80%+ of the American voters favor some kind of federal answer (legalization, de-scheduling, whatever).

No way.... it's just too huge of a vote swinger.

If they are smart, they'll wait until the hopeful gets to 3rd base and THEN pull the rug out. Then, it's too late for another one to take his/her place.

Just my opinion but I spent a lot of time behind closed door in Washington and one thing for sure....... NOTHING is a coincidence. LOL Everything that happens is planned, expected and waited for.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
:laughing: ... maybe, but he shoulda shown some respect by naming the Republicans first, maybe it's just a Freudian slip.

White Beard

I'm hoping that trump sees what a popular bi-partisan idea this is, co-ops it as his own and legalizes NOW, just as a good distraction from whatever is going on that we need to be distracted from.

......but pipeline, I'm curious, why did you capitalize Democrat but not any of the other groups??:yes:

He just misspelled “demon rats”...

White Beard

The top priorities as I have them so far:

- an immediate national moratorium on cannabis-related arrests, where cannabis is THE infraction
- the immediate release of all cannabis felons who have served a year or more
- the immediate descheduling of cannabis
- the expungement of cannabis centered arrests and prosecutions from criminal records
- an apology to the public and to cannabis users for the damage done by generations of bad laws
- a nullification of laws, state and federal, that are based on prohibition precedent or logic
- essential freedoms: to grow and use, to gift and share, to sell privately, to sell publicly as a pure product

Ringodoggie

Premium user
They should do the same thing with tobacco and alcohol too. And, food. And, cars.

That way we can all smoke poison, drink poison, eat poison and drive unsafe cars until we're all dead except the ones who poisoned us.

Sorry bud, humans need regulation or the greed takes over. Didn't you read the post earlier from a 30 year guerilla grower who said when he was attacked by caterpillars he sprayed DDT all over his crop and sold it to you anyway, rather than loose money?

And, he is one of US!!!!!!

Humans are too fucked up to live without regulation. I have seen oh so much of the result of humans hating each other. Peace and love give way to greed and hatred way way too quickly. Sorry, don't blame me. It was like that when I got here. LOL

Without regulation, people like me would come up behind you when you were asleep, kill you and your family and take what you have for myself. Why? Because it's easier than working for it. And....... I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one thinking like this. LOL

EDIT: Home growers excepted to most of this.