What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hanging on leaves & stems: Seed pods? Larvae? Or . . .?

lalstalls

I noticed these dangling brown masses (seed pods? larvae?), each attached to the bottom of leaf or to stem by a white fibers. What are they? And are they harmful?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2041.jpg
    IMG_2041.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 23

therevverend

Veteran
Yep it's a cocoon. There's a chance it's a beneficial insect or friendly potential pet but I'd say the chance is much higher it's a voracious leaf munching worm or caterpillar.

If you want to be a nice guy you could remove them and set them on a tree or shrub's leaf at least 50 feet from your patch. If you want to be cruelly indifferent you could toss it on the ground. If you want to be a bad guy you could stomp on it after you toss it on the ground or burn it. I'd certainly consider each option, especially after doing a little more internet research to figure out what the hell it is.

lalstalls

Thanks, therevverend!

In your honor, I'm posting macro shots of a suspend cocoon, the pile I relocated, and another "stand" of eggs(?) of some sort, of which I disposed.

Hookahhead

There's a chance it's a beneficial insect or friendly potential pet but I'd say the chance is much higher it's a voracious leaf munching worm or caterpillar.

I respectfully disagree. Larvae such as caterpillars and worms enter a cocoon BEFORE metamorphosis. The adult insects tend to be much less damaging than the larval form. I would still probably remove them just to be safe. Probably move it to a tank like you would do when raising monarchs or other butterflies. For something this small, i think a glass jar and coffee filter would suffice. This way here you know what type of creature it is when you see it again.

therevverend

Veteran
I respectfully disagree. Larvae such as caterpillars and worms enter a cocoon BEFORE metamorphosis.

You're right. Egg to worm to cocoon to adult is the usual order. I like the jar idea.

lalstalls

The watched jar is good advice, Hookahhead: Now I've got about 30-some I'm watching. Thanks.

Wanted to show you guys who else showed up on my plants:

I'm feeling ignorant. Is this a hatchling coming out of some kind of mud-like cocoon?

Attachments

• leaf-bug-birth.jpg
    leaf-bug-birth.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 16

Hookahhead

The creature with eyes is a species of fly. Adult flies emerge from a cocoon from the larva stage (maggots). It’s hard to tell from the picture, but the brown thing could be a cocoon. It kind of looks like a scale insect to me too, but this could just be the photo.