What's new

CoCo DTW Flushing question.

dj digigrow

Currently using Botanicare CNS17 , Cal-Mag, Hydrogaurd, & Silica Blast. I multi feed aroun 900 ppm 3 times a day dtw 10%. I do have some "Clearex" I will be using as we move closer to the end. My question is when it comes time to flush with plain H20 and/or the clearex/water solution do I just flush once a day? or should I continue to flush them multiple times a day?

NeWcS

I have heard people only using it the first feed of flush. clearex and water. Followed but just water.
I have also heard people using it only for the last flush. Go figure.

I use straight water. And I see no need to even pH it.

Prodigygrower

Veteran
Plain Ro water for at least 10 days I think I went closer to 14 if I remember correctly. I found a feed feed water routine really helped with leaching the salts out especially towards the end of flower. Final phase / clearex wasn’t really needed.

Mudraya

I’ve done the slow fade route taking ppms down 50-100 per day and have done plain pHed water. Either one is fine and in coco it doesn’t seem to matter as much as in other media/non media like rockwool or dwc where the slow fade is more beneficial. Coco takes a bit to flush anyways if you’re doing minimal runoff with just a trickle coming out of your pots so you still get a slow fade with plain water.

Wingnutt

Personally i never flush more than a week. Unless you're pounding your plants with notes and have a really hot medium I find flushing longer than a week has a detrimental effect on end quality. Taste in particular.

Especially since you are multi feeding - you are keeping your coco wet which reduces the chance of salts building up.

I would definitely add blackstrap molasses during your flush. It helps keeping the plant from being calcium deficient and helps with the taste and to keep and micros fed. I really think it helps with the flavor too. Maybe its just me but they seem stickier when I flush with molasses.

I would pH the water because any residual salts will dissolve better and leach better, but that's just me.

If you use a flushing agent i would only use it the first two days of flush, then just molasses water.

Contrary to popular belief, your plants do not have to turn all sorts of colors to be flushed - not with coco. Too much stress isn't good for the final product.

One final note, I usually step down my feeding the final week of notes to help the plants transition and use up what's in the pots.