What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is actually going on here?

KayaTheHusky

This has been happening about a week now. I noticed all of my mother plants had been getting brown on some of their lower leaves and then they started to die off. I thought it was a combination of the summer heat coming/me not upping their nutrients in a while/them being in 5 gallon pots for too long. I checked the roots once the problem started to worry me a couple days ago, once it was definitely happening to all of the moms I noticed. The roots of my plant were seemingly fine, not the best roots ever, but had some nice white ones still.

I’m really concerned though because I don’t want to lose any of these strains, and also, it has started in one of my flower rooms that I was about to flip also. So I feel like I have to keep them in veg until I solve this.

Next post will have all images

KayaTheHusky

It won’t let me upload the videos I want to. But I did have thrips before but I am 99% sure this isn’t thrip damage, I’m just not seeing any of them and I know what they look like. I also see a lot of these black dots on the leaf, I feel like I am dealing with a disease of some sort. Hopefully I can figure out how to get the videos to work.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=499936&stc=1&d=1563396560

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=499937&stc=1&d=1563396560

Attachments

• 10FB699A-2248-4EB4-AB66-4C97F52D5F98.jpg
    10FB699A-2248-4EB4-AB66-4C97F52D5F98.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 863768F5-0FD6-4F79-9D95-DD3228829A06.jpg
    863768F5-0FD6-4F79-9D95-DD3228829A06.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 19

KayaTheHusky

https://imgur.com/dmOGXqZ

https://imgur.com/YqDOaki

Sorry for triple posting. Couldn’t figure out the uploads in this site.

Attachments

• 5DE16C1A-DE17-4306-8E31-5432E24B377B.jpg
    5DE16C1A-DE17-4306-8E31-5432E24B377B.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 26

bushed

Coming from someone who has just battled this, you have some kind of mites for certain im afraid. Depending on what type you may be able to battle them with a 30% bleach to water solution, rubbing alcohol is also recommended online. I ended up just scrapping everything and bleaching the whole room.

Chemdawggy Dawg

Yeah that's spidermites and you've got them bad. Look at the undersides of the leaves. I would order a jug of "wipe out for mites right now." That will probably get rid of them.

KayaTheHusky

It’s 100% not spider mites. I know what they look like also, from experience. No spider mite bites, no spider mites, no webs. 0 signs of spider mites.

I had thrips like I said, but they never fucked my plants up this badly. I sprayed spinosad and got rid of them I’m pretty sure, at least, I don’t see them. And it wouldn’t make sense that they’re doing more damage with less numbers.

I think it is some sort of disease, or maybe a microscopic mite.. but the new growth and tops are all good, so that makes me think it isn’t russets or broad mites.

Thrip hatchlings damage looks just like Spider Mite damage and your just not seeing them in this initial stage due to size and they don't look like adults either until they grow through their pupae stage and metamorphosis takes place.

Adults fly (Hover) and ride air currents while climbing and feeding randomly, but the females lay eggs generally in the lower levels under the canopy and also in the flowers once bud setting is present.

Many people will say Spider Mites, but they are just not familiar with the same pocking (scarring) that Thrip hatchlings present on the leaves that they hatch upon..

KayaTheHusky

Thrip hatchlings damage looks just like Spider Mite damage and your just not seeing them in this initial stage due to size and they don't look like adults either until they grow through their pupae stage and metamorphosis takes place.

Adults fly (Hover) and ride air currents while climbing and feeding randomly, but the females lay eggs generally in the lower levels under the canopy and also in the flowers once bud setting is present.

Many people will say Spider Mites, but they are just not familiar with the same pocking (scarring) that Thrip hatchlings present on the leaves that they hatch upon..

So do you think I had thrips, adults and all stages, and wasn’t seeing bad damage... and now that I have killed the majority of the older ones, that I’m seeing more damage? It doesn’t make sense.

bushed

Their are 100's of species of spider mite let alone considering other mites, not all of them form webs on the plants or are interested in biting humans, I actually made the exact same mistake thinking I new what mites looked like.

The new growth looks fine because its in the interest of the mites to keep their food source alive.

So do you think I had thrips, adults and all stages, and wasn’t seeing bad damage... and now that I have killed the majority of the older ones, that I’m seeing more damage? It doesn’t make sense.

Its often not easy to wipe out a Thrip infestation with one round of anything. The pupae drop into the soil and can be found on the plants as well, but they can't generally be killed with pesticides or oils and it requires several different approaches and battles no different than with mite infestations and the eggs. Thrip lay eggs as well in cuts they make in the leaves and stems and are not seen by the naked eye.

So that leaves you with the question of - Are you sure that you have killed em all ?

KayaTheHusky

Its often not easy to wipe out a Thrip infestation with one round of anything. The pupae drop into the soil and can be found on the plants as well, but they can't generally be killed with pesticides or oils and it requires several different approaches and battles no different than with mite infestations and the eggs. Thrip lay eggs as well in cuts they make in the leaves and stems and are not seen by the naked eye.

So that leaves you with the question of - Are you sure that you have killed em all ?

I don’t think that I killed them all necessarily, no. It just wouldn’t make sense to me that I never saw damage like this after a while of letting them go untreated, then I treat them, and something weird starts happening like 2 weeks later.

Spinosad is very very very effective for thrips and I used it 3 times, as close to 100% canopy coverage as I could do.

Chemdawggy Dawg

It looks like mites to me. Spinosad does nothing. Spray them with some kind of miticide man. If it doesn't help just throw them out. Maybe it is thrips there is a thread called indestructible thrips where the guy said spinosad wouldn't work. I think he was in cali.

KayaTheHusky

It looks like mites to me. Spinosad does nothing. Spray them with some kind of miticide man. If it doesn't help just throw them out. Maybe it is thrips there is a thread called indestructible thrips where the guy said spinosad wouldn't work. I think he was in cali.

If it is due to a mite, then it is definitely not spiders, or at least anything like a common spider mite. I’m not saying that that it couldn’t be some other type of mite though.

Spinosad was for thrips and it 100% did a lot of damage to the thrips for me, knocking them down significantly if not entirely.

Just throw them out isn’t a solution when I want to keep these strains around.

Dankwolf

Looks like thrips/ fugus gant issue for sure .

They can get out of hand like that when you over water and have no pm prorgan

KayaTheHusky

Looks like thrips/ fugus gant issue for sure .

They can get out of hand like that when you over water and have no pm prorgan

For the sake of the convo, can we start treating this thread like it isn’t a thrip problem? I have checked so many leaves and the soil and it isn’t a visible bug. I have a 100x microscope also and haven’t been able to find any bugs, that is why I think it is a disease of some type.

Dankwolf

Get some yellow hanging sticky traps . stop over watering.

Also there are some great threads if you use the icmag search bar pertaining to the thrips/ghants.

I will see if I can find one for you .

KayaTheHusky

Get some yellow hanging sticky traps . stop over watering.

Also there are some great threads if you use the icmag search bar pertaining to the thrips/ghants.

I will see if I can find one for you .

Lol I just said it isn’t thrips or fungus gnats man.. I’m not a novice grower, I know it isn’t from either of those 2. I don’t over water either. Thanks though.

QQNPK

You just said it yourself you had thrips and almost killed em and now 2 weeks later they are back, sounds just like a thrips life cycle. You missed treating the soil? Spinosad doesnt kill the eggs.