Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Growroom Lighting > Metal halide vs HPS for flowering?

Thread Title Search    
Click here for LED Lights!
 Metal halide vs HPS for flowering? Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #31

excellent thread...and ahhhh, dan K, you have the best name on the boards.....lol

Old 11-17-2006, 06:43 AM   #32

Little has been mentioned about agro bulbs... I have seen good thigns come from these expensive bulbs...

Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #33
green_grow

green_grow is just really nicegreen_grow is just really nicegreen_grow is just really nicegreen_grow is just really nicegreen_grow is just really nice
an old, but nonetheless interesting thread .

what i have gathered from this is that either bulb will produce a similar quantity and quality of buds. what i am thinking is that metal halide, used all the way through veg. AND flower will lessen stretch and thus might prove beneficial to those of us who are growing lanky sativa dominant plants. am i correct, or out to lunch here ?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #34
CDM
The Old Man

CDM is on a distinguished road
If you have the option use the MH for veg and the HPS for flower. this will give you the best results.. but you can use eather all the way through..

Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #35
Fat Tone

Fat Tone will become famous soon enough
I would like to being this thread back since I know a few people on here are using blue spectrum 600 watters for flowering.
Fat Tone jest offline   Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #36
rogerw

rogerw will become famous soon enoughrogerw will become famous soon enough
What I like for a small set up is run 1 400 watt Mh and 1 400 watt HPS . That way you get the best of both and none of the neg. Try it you will like what you see.
rogerw jest offline   Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #37
ProfGerbik
Shake off the Dust, Its time to Glow.

ProfGerbik is a jewel in the roughProfGerbik is a jewel in the roughProfGerbik is a jewel in the roughProfGerbik is a jewel in the rough
i would never grow with MH only through flowering just because i know what the plant prefers spectrum wise for each stage, i know it can be done, but HPS arent made for flowering for nothing.

i have to agree with roger, i ended up just using CFL's with my HPS, since im too cheap to buy a metal halide, works good, you can notice them both doing what their supposed to.

nowadays though there are different types of bulbs that provide so many different spectrums, now they have full spectrum HPS bulbs that im sure provide along the same lines of MH light, so thats a factor to look at also.
ProfGerbik jest offline   Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #38
ProfGerbik
Shake off the Dust, Its time to Glow.

ProfGerbik is a jewel in the roughProfGerbik is a jewel in the roughProfGerbik is a jewel in the roughProfGerbik is a jewel in the rough
at this stage of technology i say why not use both.
ProfGerbik jest offline   Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #39
Space Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGerbik View Post
at this stage of technology i say why not use both.
I highly agree

Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #40
ganjasuiteseat
universal at least

ganjasuiteseat is just really niceganjasuiteseat is just really niceganjasuiteseat is just really niceganjasuiteseat is just really nice
t

Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #41
toohighmf

toohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud of
Fact: plants veg faster and yield higher under HPS unless your talking ceramic mh.
MH=minimal harvest. I have tried to implement it in my garden and I lost 6 oz for doin it. Get yourself a 400w switchable ballast and a good bulb n fan. If you want enough personal smoke to get you from harvest to harvest, a 400 hps will more than double your yields over a 250 with a little more heat, so a 6" air coiled reflector and fan would be a wiser decision.
toohighmf jest offline   Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #42
CowGuy

CowGuy is on a distinguished road
Would MH work better for a stealth grow better because of the actual color the light? I feel like blocking the softer MH light would be easier then an HPS. I'm also considering MH to keep plants shorter, but I have 6ft of wall space so I don't think that would be a problem, but not sure as I haven't done a completed grow. Have read that HPS lights can sometimes make plants too tall and lanky and I don't have a huge amount of space to work with 6' tall 1.5' wide. Was gonna go with 250w
CowGuy jest offline   Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #43
toohighmf

toohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud oftoohighmf has much to be proud of
Genetics and cramming make taller plants. If MH is supposed to be intended for vegging, don't ya,think its going to stretch more blooming and veg.??? Don't simulate nature, manipulate it.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #44
drymouth
STRAIGHT DANK!

drymouth is just really nicedrymouth is just really nicedrymouth is just really nicedrymouth is just really nice
What about both at once like 2 hps's/2mh's? would'nt this be some what of a full spectrum?
drymouth jest offline   Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #45
toohighmf

If you run 2kw of each watch the MH yield 1/2 to a to 2/3tds less. Trichromes? The same. Uvb light may increase trich production, but so can a good environment with plenty of red spectrum.