What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

F or M?

iconium

Hi everyone. This is my new plant which is 6 weeks old. But I still dont know what its gender? Thank for helps.

Attachments

• 20190702_130836.jpg
    20190702_130836.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190702_130757.jpg
    20190702_130757.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 20
....it could take up to 8-10 weeks

That's what I am finding out at the moment with my first go with seeds.

Everyone everywhere told me that preflowers/sex always appear by 6 to 7 weeks....

...but I'm coming up on 8 weeks and only 1 out of 5 so far has shown sex/preflowers, and it was a lady. The rest of the plants are not showing anything yet.

Mine were started outdoors at the beginning of May, northern-cali.

That's what I am finding out at the moment with my first go with seeds.

Everyone everywhere told me that preflowers/sex always appear by 6 to 7 weeks....

...but I'm coming up on 8 weeks and only 1 out of 5 so far has shown sex/preflowers, and it was a lady. The rest of the plants are not showing anything yet.

Mine were started outdoors at the beginning of May, northern-cali.

People say a lot of stuff... some of it's true, but when we're dealing with cannabis there is a LOT of misinformation culled from decades of illegal growing; old wives' tales, sayings... Most untrue.

Your plants will show sex, but only after their hormones have been triggered by the length of daylight.
Indoors, it's easy: set it to 12/12 and watch -usually within a week or so they'll begin to put sex organs together and show you what gender they are.

Outdoors... you just have to wait. Where I am, at 45N, I have to wait until the first week of August and even a little after that to be sure in some cases. If you cull the males when they are showing clusters of male pollen sacs, and before they open and start jizzing... you should be fine.

It's a learning process... this growing weed thing. Keep notes, refer to them each time you grow.
You'll get really good at it if you respect the process and focus on letting the plants thrive.
Give them a chance to reach potential.

pinkus

Veteran
I recently had a plant go 6+ months not showing pre flowers (lullaby x blockhead) so I assumed that it was a female.

It wasn't.

Weird shit can happen.

People say a lot of stuff... some of it's true, but when we're dealing with cannabis there is a LOT of misinformation culled from decades of illegal growing; old wives' tales, sayings... Most untrue.....

That's what I'm realizing lol.

Your plants will show sex, but only after their hormones have been triggered by the length of daylight.......

It's a learning process... this growing weed thing. Keep notes, refer to them each time you grow.
You'll get really good at it if you respect the process and focus on letting the plants thrive.
Give them a chance to reach potential.

Another thing "everyone everywhere" said was that males pretty much always show their sex/preflowers first, and that males usually tend to be the most vigorous right from the start.

....again, this was not the case for me. Out of the 5 seeds I germinated, the first to show was a female and it was also noticeably more vigorous/faster growing than the others.

I'm now at about 10 weeks and the other plants are just barely beginning to show a little spec of pre-flower but I still can't confirm...One I'm pretty certain is a male though, just waiting a wee bit longer before I decide to turn it into compost.

Kinda bummed that one is looking to be male because I took a gamble with it and put it into one of my big pots with good soil.

I do find it strange that there has been such a large span of time between the plants showing pre-flowers...Considering they are all seeds from the same strain (Lemon Wookie Glue), germed at the same time, and grew up in the same spot. But the lady was the first to show 3+ weeks before any others.

This is only my 2nd grow, first time with seeds though....

...I've been intending on keeping a journal/notes of my grows. There are a few things from my grow last year I was wondering about and wish I had kept some notes. And they'll be fun to look back on years down the road.

But yea...even though this is only my second time around with the plant, I'm already starting to find my preferred "ways", and a nice pattern/regimen of how I do things. I'm looking forward to learning and perfecting & dialing in this craft over the years each time around.

pinkus

Veteran
Even though it is referred to as a strain, in all likelihood it's either an "f1" X, or maybe down the line a bit. But not likely to be an inbred line. Either way there can be huge variation in phenotypes.

grayeyes

"Outdoors... you just have to wait"

NOPE, department of misinformation again. Start them in 1 gal pots. When ready to flip drag 'em inside for the 12/12. Got 'em flowering now.

romanoweed

Hey, i got also a Plant im hoping it s a male. Cant make Pics from thes tiny little thingys that i can clearly rather identify as Leafes, so my assumtions tend to think its male. Quiet similat to this on the left:
picture.php

, here you see also a little Cover-up-Leaf behind the Pollensack, but only very unclear:
picture.php

So my leafes are somewhere in between those two pics i showed, not as clear as in first Pic, but not as separatet, (little ) as in secound. At my Plants the Leaf just covers the unknown thing inside, so it looks from far like a female, but then i discovered its not one Piece, so the female look i cant trust, its clearly not one piece.

Probabbly you know what i try to describe, this moment when you see a clear difference after several attemts to find out sex. Its clearly different to the already 50 Percent outed Females . They all didnt had this leafy hard to make out mishmush. You know what i wann describe.
My vague question now: what you guess, is it a male i desribe? Otherwise it sows typical male signs like rather uncrossed stipules, and its the highest plant.
But could it out rather ater than 50 Percent Females, would be a bit behind in Time..
What do you think, am i on the right (TRack) assuming its a male? I wont make any decision based on what you might think it is, easy, but i wanna know! Guess please.

And i am shure its a leafe with something inside, i coud clearly see the shape of the inner thing, but its not relly longish, not really roundshaped. Its between, cause to earlie . Im asking if the leafyness could be strong indiz for it beeing Male, since al the Females was completly leafless. And the Leafe is also around the thing inside and covering it, rather that completey separated..

Last edited:

romanoweed

Additional info: my inner thingy looks quiet simiar to the right Thing on the right side of this other Persons Picture, (NOT THE LEFT):
picture.php

I would clearly say this pic showes a male, and its not the Reason i show this, but just so you get the idea, whats inside my Leafes roundabout. Its not relly longish, and not realy roundish.. its quiet similar what i have like here on the right side.. But like said with Covering-Leafe, wich is what my question is about.

romanoweed

That Picture on the left Side shows how close the Leafe roundabout sits. By mine Plants its a bit closer even, its covering it..
picture.php

romanoweed

HEy 1, 5 months later and i see, i was absolutely right. Nearly every Plant that i thought was male cause of its covering Leaves , was male! I couldnt make out the inner thingy(consider i took this LEnses wich you put onto your Eyes ), but like described in 4 Pictures , cause of These all aroud-the-unknown-inner-Thingy-Coverleaves it was quiet clear!! Consider it wasnt so clearly contured like in my later Pictures shown here, no, just like in the first of the Series of posts

Im happy i have male.. Peace