What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can someone check my homemade Calmag?

JimMuscles

I made a homemade Calmag out of these two things. 4 parts Dissolvine CaEDTA chelated cal. This is a calcium only fert. Heres details from the product.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Calcium (Ca) water soluble, chelated by EDTA............9.7%

stable in pH range..........................................................5-10

Use this product to suplement the calcium in your nutrient solution that is supplied by calcium nitrate. One gram of Dissolvine E-Ca-10 per gallon final volume nutrient solution provides approximately 25ppm calcium.

That, and 1 part Epsom Salt . or magnesium sulphate.

This is a 4 to 1 ratio of Calcium to Magnesium. Is this ok to use? I grow in coco. How much EC should I use of this?

THANKS A BUNCH!

Avenger

Veteran
never mix calcium and sulfate into concentrated solutions together, if you do precipitation of calcium sulfate(gypsum) is certain to occur

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
He means if you make a concentrated stock solution, for ease of use to pull a couple ml's at a time. You're using it diluted in feed. It's the difference between 20000ppm and 20...

JimMuscles

He means if you make a concentrated stock solution, for ease of use to pull a couple ml's at a time. You're using it diluted in feed. It's the difference between 20000ppm and 20...

I already mixed one. I used 200 g calcium and 50 g epsom in 1 1/2 quarts. Came out super clear.

JimMuscles

I'm very curious to exactly how concentrated it needs to be for precipitation.

No idea meng... I realized later after i made this that there was filler in my powdered calcium that raised the EC while contributing no nutrients. So i had to adjust for that. Im using gypsum and epsom now anyway.

Nifty_PoT

I'm very curious to exactly how concentrated it needs to be for precipitation.
I once followed a coco buffer recipe with this flaw , it had these as ingredients:
Calcium Nitrate 290 g/l
Magnesium Nitrate 280 g/l
Magnesium Sulphate 10 g/l
As soon as i added the magnesium sulphate it was milk :biggrin:

TnTLabs

I once followed a coco buffer recipe with this flaw , it had these as ingredients:
Calcium Nitrate 290 g/l
Magnesium Nitrate 280 g/l
Magnesium Sulphate 10 g/l
As soon as i added the magnesium sulphate it was milk :biggrin:

yeah, no idea why there is mag sulphate in there

its why you have A & B Nutrient mixes.. A: Calcium Nitrate.. Iron
and B: Mono Potassium Phospate, Mag Sulphate, Micros etc

concerning the op... as you said... guessing cause of the amount added and the EDTA it didnt percipitate...
are you using tap water??
best to have a base EC of 0.20 - 0.3 consisting mostly of Ca & Mg. (~150ppm Ca / 35ppm Mg).. then add nutrients and lastly Si
gypsum i would add something like 100gr in 10 galllon and feed once a week when you are feeding half strenght... id feed once a week half strength to not get salt build up in coco
i dont add gypsum when mixing soil...

CrushnYuba

I'm just wondering if 2 dosatrons are really necessary with larger pumps like 2%.

Like Will 100 grams of calcium nitrate in a gallon of water precipitate out if it's mixed with sulfates? That's not crazy concentrated

JimMuscles

yeah, no idea why there is mag sulphate in there

its why you have A & B Nutrient mixes.. A: Calcium Nitrate.. Iron
and B: Mono Potassium Phospate, Mag Sulphate, Micros etc

concerning the op... as you said... guessing cause of the amount added and the EDTA it didnt percipitate...
are you using tap water??
best to have a base EC of 0.20 - 0.3 consisting mostly of Ca & Mg. (~150ppm Ca / 35ppm Mg).. then add nutrients and lastly Si
gypsum i would add something like 100gr in 10 galllon and feed once a week when you are feeding half strenght... id feed once a week half strength to not get salt build up in coco
i dont add gypsum when mixing soil...

Yeah i use tap .250 EC. No idea whats in it. Thanks for the tips.:ying:

Latest posts

Latest posts