What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosquito net for fungus gnats?

DanTheReggaeFan

Hey growmies,

So I've recently moved into a new flat and there's been the odd fungus gnat flying around since I moved in and now I've started growing again they've naturally found their way into my tent. So I was wondering do you reckon putting a mosquito net over my tent would help keep them out or would the holes be too big (it's been ages since I saw one so I can't remember how big the holes are)? Also and more importantly would it be a fire hazard with a 600W light in there? It's air cooled if that makes a difference. I'm going to be getting some captain Jacks and mosquito dunks when I get paid but I'm not sure if they can be used when I get to flower, can they?

Thanks for any help.:tiphat:

thailer

you can use captain jacks and mosquito dunks in flower for fungus gnats if you're watering it into the soil. when i had gnats, i left a mosquito dunk in my watering can with water in it to soak and i also crushed them up and mixed it into the first 2 inches of soil. a fan in the room can deter them from being too windy since they're clumsy flyers. i wouldn't bother with a net but maybe a filter on the intake would be enough.

i keep a thick 3 inch thick mulch of straw on my plants now. the straw dries out after watering and the soil stays moist underneath. since the straw is dry, gnats don't seem to move in and take advantage. i also looked at how much and often i was watering and backed off a little which what i think was causing it.

DanTheReggaeFan

Ok thanks man. If I can use captain jacks in flower I won't bother with the net then. It's not a bad infestation but I don't have the bottle yet so I wasn't sure how to use it. I thought it was all foliar spray. Thanks for the advice man.

thailer

i would just use some mosquito dunks crushed up on the soil. i don't think spinosad really is for gnats but who knows, seems like it would kill on contact. the gnats live in the first inch or so of the soil and as long as it stays moist, they'll continue breeding. theres a product called gnatrol i think that is cedarwood oil and soap. i know a lot of people like that.

J

jaded1

Nematodes and hanging a couple of yellow sticky traps will get rid of them pretty quick.I fight a constant battle with them through spring/summer in current tent location and these will wipe them out.
There's a new product over here called zoft I think that is made from the left overs of olive oil production that is supposed to be effective for stopping them laying larvae in soil that i'm going to give a try.

Latest posts

Latest posts