What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Photo to Auto breeding question

Tranquilidade

Hello friends,

I have simple breeding question regarding breeding the autoflower from photoperiod. My goal is to take the maximum from the photoperiod and add it and autflower gene. I have Ruderalis male and 2 seeds of feminised Blue dream (photoperiod). Here is how I'm thinking to do this:

Phase 1

Cross 1: Ruderalis x Blue dream (1st photoperiod seed)

Cross 2: F1s are crossed again

Cross 3: Out of 100 F1 seeds there will be 25% with auto gene, so I select only from these 25% with auto gene and make F2s.

Cross 4: Out of F2s I select only with auto genes and get F3 with approximate 75% with auto genes.

Phase 2

I want to infuse more of Bluedream genese so I take the F3s of Ruderalis x Bluedream (with 75% auto genes) and cross it with Bluedream photoperiod (second parent seed).

And then I repeat the whole process once again until the majority of seeds gets autoflower gene.

Does my process make sense or there are some unnecessary steps in the process? For example I may cross the F2s with the second parent seed of photoperiod Bluedream instead of F3?

Can you share your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Popey

Veteran
When you cross Ruderalis with Blue Dream, you will receive F1 seeds. When you sow F1 seeds and the plants you receive intersect with each other, you will receive F2 seeds. If these F2 seeds are sown then you will receive plants among which you will receive 25% of the auto-flowering gene. If you intersect F2 plants with the self-generation gene, you will get F3 seeds with 100% autoflowering gene.
You can cross F2 again with Blue Dream but some use F3 for additional selection and only F3 or cross with the full-season plant again.

Popey

Veteran
why is it 100% by the f3 generation and not 50%?

Is this a question for me CannaZen? If plants with automatic flowering are found in F2 and cross between them, there is no other option than to receive F3 automatically blooming. it is obvious that auto x auto = auto.

yahooman

Is this a question for me CannaZen? If plants with automatic flowering are found in F2 and cross between them, there is no other option than to receive F3 automatically blooming. it is obvious that auto x auto = auto.

i dont think thats correct,iremember having a discussion with an auto breeder and he said minimum of f4 for 100% auto

Tranquilidade

I though I'll ask one more question regarding phase 2. Is it possible to inbreed the best photoperiod genetics into F4 without going into phase 2 and cross it one more time with photoperiod? How dominant is pure Ruderalis?

PDX Dopesmoker

I though I'll ask one more question regarding phase 2. Is it possible to inbreed the best photoperiod genetics into F4 without going into phase 2 and cross it one more time with photoperiod? How dominant is pure Ruderalis?

Not as far as I've been taught. Every time you cross a photo to an auto you'll need to make F2s of the cross to recover the autoflowering feature is what the fundamentalists say and the people who have put the theory to the test seem to back them up.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
So i have a gorilla glue #4 photo that accidentally got pollinated with a nl super auto male. Is the next steps pollinating the f2 female that is already in flower, with another auto?