in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > FIRST Grow -Seedling problems

Thread Title Search
FIRST Grow -Seedling problems Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 AM #1
Spacejeezy

Spacejeezy is on a distinguished road
FIRST Grow -Seedling problems

Hello all! First grow here. A little info to hopefully help. My seeds are big kush in a soil perlite mixture. The soil is organic Fox farm. Running 18/6 600w LED. Proper drainage , 60% constant humidity , 77f lights on , 69 lights off. It’s been just about 5 days since watering because I feel I over watered them. They aren’t crunchy or showing signs of needing water, drainage is good but soil still moist about a knuckle length down. I’m worried I messed up and won’t be able to save them. Any help would be appreciated! I attached a photo for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	054B1274-7CC8-4000-A500-06B562E2440D.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	494633
Spacejeezy is offline Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 AM #2
CannaRed
Cannabinerd

CannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejeezy View Post
Hello all! First grow here. A little info to hopefully help. My seeds are big kush in a soil perlite mixture. The soil is organic Fox farm. Running 18/6 600w LED. Proper drainage , 60% constant humidity , 77f lights on , 69 lights off. It’s been just about 5 days since watering because I feel I over watered them. They aren’t crunchy or showing signs of needing water, drainage is good but soil still moist about a knuckle length down. I’m worried I messed up and won’t be able to save them. Any help would be appreciated! I attached a photo for reference.
You are doing fine. Don't water until soil no longer feels moist when you stick finger in. Over watering causes all kinds of issues.
CannaRed is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:40 PM #3
Spacejeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaRed View Post
You are doing fine. Don't water until soil no longer feels moist when you stick finger in. Over watering causes all kinds of issues.
Ok thank you! They are kinda dry today, still showing serious signs of over watering on most. I’ll leave for another day.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:53 PM #4
CannaRed
Cannabinerd

CannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud of
Quote:
Ok thank you! They are kinda dry today, still showing serious signs of over watering on most. I’ll leave for another day.
Watering was something that was problematic for me.
New growers don't realize that different plants at different stages of growth are going to take different amounts of water.

For instance: a small seedling or plant in a ( relatively) large pot. I used to soak the entire pot, it would take for ever to dry out. The small plant can't transpire that much water, so you are waiting for soil to dry on its own thru evaporation.

Now I water much less, but only near the plant. As the plant grows, (and starts to use more water) I use more water, and direct the water further out to edges of pot.

Good luck!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:07 PM #5
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Watering was something that was problematic for me.
New growers don't realize that different plants at different stages of growth are going to take different amounts of water.

For instance: a small seedling or plant in a ( relatively) large pot. I used to soak the entire pot, it would take for ever to dry out. The small plant can't transpire that much water, so you are waiting for soil to dry on its own thru evaporation.

Now I water much less, but only near the plant. As the plant grows, (and starts to use more water) I use more water, and direct the water further out to edges of pot.

Good luck!
... later you can water your plug but... if you planted in an oversize pot, water the outside rim, so the roots search for water. That is what makes healthy roots.

Furthermore, if you have somewhat moist soil, 1 cup (8oz) is all you need for seedlings (in a 5gal pot). I like to water every 3 days. I use a moisture meter and pot weight. W D D F D D W, Where D=dry, W=water and F=feed

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM #6
Spacejeezy

Thank you for the replies guys! I am receiving a scale to weigh and a moisture meter today actually! It’s just odd that they are still showing signs of over watering even though the soil is drying out. I guess another light cycle will tell!

Old 05-21-2019, 04:09 PM #7
CannaRed
Cannabinerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher56 View Post
... later you can water your plug but... if you planted in an oversize pot, water the outside rim, so the roots search for water. That is what makes healthy roots.

Furthermore, if you have somewhat moist soil, 1 cup (8oz) is all you need for seedlings (in a 5gal pot). I like to water every 3 days. I use a moisture meter and pot weight. W D D F D D W, Where D=dry, W=water and F=feed
Ahh. I'm doing it backwards? I try not to water directly on stem to prevent stem rot, but usually closer to center than the rim.
I'll try it your way on some.

Thanks Switch.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:20 PM #8
Spacejeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher56 View Post

Oh wow! So I am over watering for sure then in my solo cups! A cup to 5 gallon is not what I thought. I have got to figure out the water situation quick.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 PM #9
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Oh wow! So I am over watering for sure then in my solo cups! A cup to 5 gallon is not what I thought. I have got to figure out the water situation quick.
I grow in HP Promix. I use jiffy plugs to pop my seeds, after germination in paper towel. Then, I only spray with H20 to wet the plug. After 1st serrated leaves appear (tghe roots are at the bottom of the plug sneaking out), they go into a 4" pot, where they may get a couple of ounces (dunno). I transplant in 5gal pots at week 4 in veg.

I water or feed at a rate of 1.5l every 3rd day, always starting between the stock and the pot rim, finishing with the plug.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 PM #10
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Quote:
Ahh. I'm doing it backwards? I try not to water directly on stem to prevent stem rot, but usually closer to center than the rim.
I'll try it your way on some.

Thanks Switch.
U R welcome see post 9 above.