Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > new shoots and leaves of bright/lime green color

Thread Title Search
new shoots and leaves of bright/lime green color Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM #1
ramse

ramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the rough
new shoots and leaves of bright/lime green color

I have plants under a t5 appliance that are going to go outdoors.
The plants have about 7-8 weeks, are in 3 gal pots, in a mixture of soil composed of 30% light mix and the remaining pre-fertilized organic mix. The only food they received were a couple of leaf applications of ascophyllum nodosum and calcified algae - lithotamnio (80% Ca 15% Mg and Si).

Suddenly they started to show a light / bright green color in all the new growths.

Initially I thought that the cause could be the difference in temperature between day and night that occurred in this last days of bad weather.
But then I noticed that there were a couple of plants that didn't show the problem and the only treatment compared to the other plants they didn't receive was irrigation.
Once irrigated with decanted tap water and with stabilized pH, the following morning they showed the same symptoms...

One thing that happened before using the water was work on the plumbing system in my neighborhood that caused a temporary suspension of the water supply. Once the water supply has been reactivated I obviously let the water run from the tap for a long time... this is the only thing that makes me think that it caused the problem to the plants...
now, I don't have the confidence that it was the water that caused the problem... but that's the only thing that changed from the normal "routine".

I forgot, the drain pH was fine.

These are the photos of a plant:
Wookie Hashplant

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ramse; 05-20-2019 at 08:16 PM..
ramse is offline Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 07:57 PM #2
ramse

ramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the roughramse is a jewel in the rough
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
ramse is offline Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 PM #3
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond repute
It'c common for new groth to be "paller" until the leafs have hardened off.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM #4
ramse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher56 View Post
It'c common for new groth to be "paller" until the leafs have hardened off.

ok this is clear. but I assure you that within half a day the leaves have gone from normal green to this lime green. maybe it's my paranoia and it was simply the temperature difference between day and night.
the color change was very significant, not only in the new growth, but also in the younger leaves already hardened
ramse is offline Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 08:55 PM #5
nickman

nickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant futurenickman has a brilliant future
It’s fine. Just what he said above..... new growth is always pale at first... the leaves that are lower on the plant can stay that way for a while if no light can get to them...
they’re usually the sucker branches that I cut off as to divert more energy to the tops...!!!...

nickman is offline Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 PM #6
ramse

this one is instead a female of Raspberry HP, which besides the same symptoms as the others plants, has started to hook the leaves
[IMG][/IMG]
ramse is offline Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 PM #7
ramse

I hope it is as you say...
I have seen the growth of new shoots and pale green leaves when there is a marked difference between day and night temperatures. That in fact these days there has been.

the photos are not the best, but for example these leaves are turned from a normal green to a bronzed lime green
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
ramse is offline Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 12:18 PM #8
TanzanianMagic

TanzanianMagic is just really niceTanzanianMagic is just really niceTanzanianMagic is just really niceTanzanianMagic is just really niceTanzanianMagic is just really niceTanzanianMagic is just really niceTanzanianMagic is just really niceTanzanianMagic is just really nice
The dark green is a symptom of magnesium shortage/almost deficiency.

The light green shoots means the plant is getting more magnesium.

However the lack of length to the nodes means the plant isn't getting enough potassium.

Now this could be lack of nutrients, or it could be lockout. I don't know what the floor of the grow room looks like, however if the plants are on the floor, it's likely to be just a little too cold for the roots. Floors conduct cold very well. Just placing them 1 or 2 inches off the floor on a folded crate is enough.
TanzanianMagic is offline Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 01:05 PM #9
SuperBadGrower

SuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramse View Post
this one is instead a female of Raspberry HP, which besides the same symptoms as the others plants, has started to hook the leaves
View Image]View Image[/url]

When I see this picture and some of the others, I'm thinking that the T5 just isn't intense enough for plants this size to photosynthesize for those branches which are sinks of energy rather than sources of it. I.e. the lowers and those shaded by fan leaves. The structure of the plant is a nice main shoot but the early nodes' branches don't seem like they developed like they would have in a high light situation. Moreover all the big fan leaves are happening on the main stem. Another sign of low light IME. Or maybe the plants are close together and it's too crowded. (Which still translates to not enough light in not enough places)

Lower branches (or those shaded by fan leaves) look fine if the rest of the plant gets enough light but as soon as the light demand is not met, you'll start to see pale new growth where the light isn't hitting.

The yellowing tops, and the small size, of your lower branches look a lot like plants I've kept in my bedroom, window sill and other low light environments. I'm not saying that your T5 system is low light in general, obviously it can grow plants for a few weeks. And they look very fine.

Anyway it wouldn't explain everything you described... just an observation

Last edited by SuperBadGrower; 05-21-2019 at 04:13 PM..
SuperBadGrower is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 PM #10
ramse

Is a t5ho device with 8 tubes of 90 cm for 39 watts each, it seems to me that the manufacturer declares 3500 lumens per tube. Obviously the penetration is what it is... however the plants are about 40 cm high.
Yes, they must surely be moved as soon as possible, I usually do 4-5 weeks under t5 with good success.

I had planned to move them outdoors a couple of weeks ago, but due to unforeseen events and bad weather I had to postpone...
I should be able to move them outdoors this week.

No the plants do not rest on the floor but on a shelf. Night temperatures are around 17/18 degrees.

Regarding the poor length of the nodes, I think it is due to t5 and not to a lack of potassium... I have always obtained several compact plants under t5.

they receive 15 hours of light, in line with the hours of light present in mid-May

However the fading of the leaves does not seem to progress... yesterday I washed the Raspberry which showed the clawed leaves.

Wookie HP:

RaspberryHP:

Last edited by ramse; 05-21-2019 at 08:30 PM..
ramse is offline Quote