What's new

Question about the Japanese Hemp landrace

Hi there, I was curious if the Japanese landrace hemp strain you guys have would be like an AUTOFLOWER?

If not I was thinking it could potentially be used for breeding long flowering strains that you desire to carry on the effects, without introducing radically different effects, and shorten the flowering time through a few generations. I am an amateur breeder, but what are your thoughts on that?

I know it would probably mess with the bud structure too, but it could be worth it if it works (for a personal stash at least)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I would think that if used in breeding it's offspring would be considerably lower in thc?

Then again after awhile a gem may be found?

That's a great point. You're probably right. I didn't consider that, I feel like I would be okay with a plant only spitting out 10% THC but still having lovely effects and flavor and aroma profiles. I'm a light weight anyways. I really want to try this with some Southeast Asian genetics I've acquired. Maybe I had ought to just go for it.

G

GatorGumbo

I agree that THC isn't everything. I've had some wicked THC potent strains I didn't fancy much at all because of the feeling of the high, and others that were less powerful by far but which I enjoyed a great deal more.

Now that I think about it, it's actually hard for me to think of a powerful strain that I'm really in love with. I'd say Panama Red is my favourite high, but it's a middleweight as far as THC. Maybe I'm just a middleweight THC smoker. :dunno:

Sunshineinabag

Nope not at all gumbo.......it's because the best cultivars we experiance have an even distribution of ALL compounds...not one particularly high one. When u find a well rounded cultivar with great profiles and susquiterpenes ......it's hitting all the bells and whistles sort of speak.....I'm thoroughly convinced high thc is a cash grab

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Nope not at all gumbo.......it's because the best cultivars we experiance have an even distribution of ALL compounds...not one particularly high one. When u find a well rounded cultivar with great profiles and susquiterpenes ......it's hitting all the bells and whistles sort of speak.....I'm thoroughly convinced high thc is a cash grab

agree with this & Gumbo above. LOTS of folks (me included) are not looking for the highest THC content possible. i've smoked weed before that was so tasty that i would smoke it at nearly zero buzz. i miss the old columbian strains with all of the flavors to be found. i have friends (old potheads) that will not smoke much of the weed grown today. they want pot with flavor that you can roll a big ol' hogleg out of & pass around without getting so fucked up you can't get up or drive...same reason i'm not a fan of the THC cartridges for vape products. no variance, no flavor, no soul. :tiphat:

These are very refreshing comments. I'm 27, but I feel like I want the shit they were smoking in the 70's and early 80's, the first time I smoked Thai Landrace cannabis, I was sold.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
These are very refreshing comments. I'm 27, but I feel like I want the shit they were smoking in the 70's and early 80's, the first time I smoked Thai Landrace cannabis, I was sold.

i want the blonde lebanese hash or the redbud from Columbia we got in the late 70s, early 80s. flavor was wonderful...

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi JudahsSceptre,

This Japanese Hokkaido landrace is a very stable hemp strain and therefore it is an interesting strain mainly for hemp growers and for cannabis scholars interested to learn more about the cannabis that grows in this part of the World. As stated in its official strain description, this Japanese Hokkaido line doesn't produce releveant cannabinoid or terpene content so it's not very interesting for marijuana breeding.

This Japanese Hokkaido is not 100 % autoflowering but semi autoflowering, this means it starts to flower very early outdoors after summer solstice, as soon as the days start to get shorter, and finishes the flowering very fast, in only 6-8 weeks. But it's not 100 % autoflowering since we managed to keep all the parental plants indoors in the mother room (with difficulties, because it's very hard to keep semi autoflowering genetics indoors in proper growth stage) for a few months to finally reproduce her indoors by open polllination for its preservation.

For lowering down the flowering time of longer flowering sativas yet without lowering down drastically their cannabinoid and terpene qualities i prefer to use other fast flowering strains rich in cannabinoids and terpenes like Kali China, PCK, ErdPurt or Lebanese or even cross the long flowering sativas with autoflowering genetics. In fact, that's what we are mainly doing with our autoflowering sativa breeding, try to produce fully autoflowering strains with strong sativa influence and traits.

Hope it helps with your doubts. Kind regards, dubi

Latest posts

Latest posts