Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > An old Indian trick...putting fish in the ground

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
An old Indian trick...putting fish in the ground Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2019, 05:52 AM #1
JustSumTomatoes
Senior Insomniac

JustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant future
An old Indian trick...putting fish in the ground

With the Crappie fishing picking up in the near future I'm going to hopefully be enjoying many fish dinners. Once cleaned I'll have plenty of fish carcasses left, which normally just get thrown away...but an idea popped into my head. What if I put them into the ground as fertilizer just like the Native Americans did?

Obviously there are many fish based fertilizers out there and the fish will be high in nitrogen and calcium. Critters are drawn to it but if I put the fish farther down in the hole and drop them a month prior to planting I'm hoping I wont run into too many problems as my garden is also surrounded by chicken wire fencing.

Has anyone else tried this before? I figured I'd go ahead and give it a try this season.
JustSumTomatoes is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:14 AM #2
xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx is a jewel in the roughxxPeacePipexx is a jewel in the roughxxPeacePipexx is a jewel in the roughxxPeacePipexx is a jewel in the roughxxPeacePipexx is a jewel in the roughxxPeacePipexx is a jewel in the roughxxPeacePipexx is a jewel in the roughxxPeacePipexx is a jewel in the rough
Been doing it since I learned about this watching my mother burying the scaps of salmon every fall deeply under the gardens. The only thing I have not liked about this is the scent of the fish that can be detected in the first initial crop. It's a lot like using fish emulsions, anyone who has used knows what I'm talking about. Otherwise this really is a catalyst for a super charged growing bed if you take the time and don't mind things being a little fishy..

Manidoo Seeds - Capturing the Spirit of Star Plants from around the world in Spirit Seeds bringing medicine to the people.

xxPeacePipexx is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:57 AM #3
GOT_BUD?

GOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud of
I did that with carp I caught in my youth. Buried them in mom's garden.

Next year we had awesome veggies.

I have to imagine hugelkulture beds mixed with some added fish carcasses would be a real winner.
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 11:03 AM #4
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
If you try this idea in a guerilla setting get ready to have animals dig them up.

How many solo cups does one need?
troutman is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:56 AM #5
Dog Star
Why so Sirius!!

Dog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivorDog Star is a survivor
Yes wild pigs will be all over it... friend used fishmeal in forest and founded
huge holes,pigs eated soil beside plants...

Only if garden is protected with fence,than there is logic to made this move with
fish in a ground.. but Stinging Nettle extract looks to me better than underground fish,
Nettles grow everywhere..
Dog Star is offline Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 12:27 PM #6
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
You could always use a new Indian trick.

Eat the fish and poop it out. Then nobody will dig anything up.

How many solo cups does one need?
troutman is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:27 PM #7
BOMBAYCAT

BOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of lightBOMBAYCAT is a glorious beacon of light
I fed a outdoors patio plant with fish emulsion and it only lasted a few nights before the damn Raccoons dug it up looking for the fish. They also tore up the garlic in the garden one year. This is in a suburb of a major city.
BOMBAYCAT is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:30 PM #8
JustSumTomatoes
Senior Insomniac

JustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
You could always use a new Indian trick.

Eat the fish and poop it out. Then nobody will dig anything up.
Hahaha knowing the raccoons around here they would love the smell of my shit and dig that up too. I mixed a bone meal based fertilizer in with soil last year and the bastards nearly dug up every plant. One even showed up for more action while I was out there repairing the plants and holes.
JustSumTomatoes is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:55 PM #9
big315smooth

big315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud ofbig315smooth has much to be proud of
worked a campground when younger had cleaning station for salmon. way back in property we would backhoe huge holes and dump 1000 of gallons of the scrap fish and cover it. wonder how that stuff would be to dig up and use its gotta be 14-15 years old. what a horrid stench it was
big315smooth is online now Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 PM #10
Drewsif

Drewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really niceDrewsif is just really nice
I've tasted and even smelled so much fish bud, I'll find my protein based ferts elsewhere.
Drewsif is offline Quote