Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > High temp for maxed out co2 effect, but how much is too much for roots?

Thread Title Search
High temp for maxed out co2 effect, but how much is too much for roots? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2019, 02:31 AM #1
FarmerWilly

FarmerWilly is on a distinguished road
High temp for maxed out co2 effect, but how much is too much for roots?

For first 2-4 weeks it is recommended to keep temp as high as 30-35C for maximum co2 benefit.

I'm worried about too high root temp in this case. At this stage my plants doesn't cover all that crop area yet and heat penetrates into the roots more easily. It's a coco grow to keep in mind. If roots would be in hydro system, it would be more easy to keep rootzone cooler, but in my coco it measures as high as 26-28C inside the pot (actual rootzone) when there is about 33C everywhere around.

One trick would be to water many times a day with cool water (around 18C maybe), but..

Does anyone know what to do in this case? What is a good rootzone temp when gassing with co2 with high temps?
FarmerWilly is offline Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 AM #2
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Don't try to max things out. You're going to stress your plants and yourself out.

How many solo cups does one need?

Who created the Original Skunks?
troutman is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:57 AM #3
RockinRobot

RockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud of
Watering more often to try and keep root temps lower would most likely result in root rot. You will have to pay more attention to when and how much you water. You're going to want to let them dry without over drying.

I run flood and drain in hydroton with room temps around 85-88f and have gotten root rot thinking more frequent watering would help root temps.

You can insulate your pots with thin reflective insulation and cover the tops with it as well to help keep heat from the roots.
RockinRobot is online now Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 12:10 PM #4
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

dank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivor
C02 and high temps is a waste of time. You aren't growing a crop for it's vegetative production, you're growing a crop for it's resin glands.

Keep temps below 78 even with Co2 and you'll find yourself growing much better cannabis.

dank.Frank
ambiguous for the sake of the
ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR
dank.frank is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:34 PM #5
RockinRobot

RockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud ofRockinRobot has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank.frank View Post
C02 and high temps is a waste of time. You aren't growing a crop for it's vegetative production, you're growing a crop for it's resin glands.

Keep temps below 78 even with Co2 and you'll find yourself growing much better cannabis.

dank.Frank

Sorry to dissagre.

You're wasting CO2 if you don't raise temps. The reason for raising temps is to cause the plants to transpire more allowing them to eat more. Most terpene and resin production occurs near the end of flower when CO2 is not running anyway.
RockinRobot is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:13 PM #6
Lost in a SOG
~~~~~~~~~~~

Lost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant future
There's always a trade off somewhere.

Df is saying youre sacrificing quality for yield by doing that.. id have to agree with him ime.

Ive never seen a benefit in going to those temps with co2. Also ime plants dont want co2 in the final weeks..

Co2 closes stomata lowering transpiration so its common to lower RH below ideal vpd to account for this but i wouldnt like to cook em as well.

Regardless you want to keep roots around or below 20..
Lost in a SOG is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM #7
popta

popta has a spectacular aura aboutpopta has a spectacular aura aboutpopta has a spectacular aura aboutpopta has a spectacular aura about
30C/85F is enough, I've never personally seen anything that shows 35C is beneficial. Either way though, are you actually losing plants to pythium?

If yes: reduce root zone temps

If no: why are we wasting time fear mongering?

Whatever a number is it's only a problem if it's a problem. Look at the plants and they'll tell you what to do.
popta is offline Quote

Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 AM #8
FarmerWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobot View Post
Watering more often to try and keep root temps lower would most likely result in root rot. You will have to pay more attention to when and how much you water. You're going to want to let them dry without over drying.

I run flood and drain in hydroton with room temps around 85-88f and have gotten root rot thinking more frequent watering would help root temps.

You can insulate your pots with thin reflective insulation and cover the tops with it as well to help keep heat from the roots.
Please read this sticky thread about growing in coco:

It's quite the opposite of what you are saying. Let me quote few lines:

"When dialing the watering schedule it's important to take into consideration the size of pot that your using and the size of your root mass, for example if you pot up some freshly rooted clones into 6.5Ltr pots and start watering them 3x per day you will run into some problems. People like to say that you can't overwater in coco, I agree with them to a certain extent but you can overwater if you give them too much when they don't have a well developed root system, that's why it's important to harden off the roots and let 'em go hunting for nutrients at the beginning, this will help to build the root system. When I pot up a freshly rooted cut I let it have wet-dry cycles for a few days then I slowly up my watering, at the end of week one I'm watering once per day, I aim to be watering 3x per day by the end of week 2. Once the root system is developed it is very very hard to overwater, they will take all you can throw at 'em and ask for more."

Old 03-27-2019, 12:39 AM #9
FarmerWilly

Here's the thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=241341

Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 AM #10
FarmerWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Don't try to max things out. You're going to stress your plants and yourself out.
I don't know about stressing myself out, but stress might actually be a good thing overall. Think about stressing yourself out in the gym for example. It pays off in the end if done correctly. At first it's painful and uncomfortable, but you get stronger and you will feel better in the end. But plants? Doesn't trichome production have something to do with stressing the plant?

I get it what you're saying, but there is also an other side to these words.

Last time I got 1.8gpw. This time I got 1.6gpw - was it because I lowered temps in the end or was it because of something else, I don't know, but I did not actually recognize an increase of quality to be honest, only the decrease of mass. So there's that.

One day I will have lots of different rooms to do science with. I will be able to compare results side by side, but until then I will lay my questions here. Don't tell me to not bother and let the plants do their thing, okay?

1 members found this post helpful.