What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

More Females

Ratzilla

Veteran
XX or XY in the seeds?
Environmental conditions contributing to the ratio's of male to female?
For years I have been growing a strain that i created ,a Skunk red hair and C-99 i call her Skunk A Rella.
I make fresh seed of her every 2-3 years so i know her well.
I only have a small closet that i can only veg 24 6 inch squares pots in.
Out of these 24 i have room for 10 ladies in 10 inch squares.
For years I have been hearing if you were to get a disproportion of males you were a bad grower.
You see only once did i get 11 females out of 24 a few times 10 but mostly 9 was the number of ladies out of 24.
That's 38% female.
Being I feel that i am a knowledgeable organic grower i felt it was probably strain dependent.
Once with some KUSH i only got 4 females out of 17 plants.
Just for the hell of it I tried this time some environmental changes to my growing style.
First for 2 weeks before germinating the seed i let the seed sit in a bag that contain another bag of fresh banana peels.
In keeping the seed from the moisture of the peels while creating a environment of Ethylene gas that is released from the peels.
This Ethylene is thought to create more females.
Also it is thought that spraying some fish emulsion 5-1-1 on the seedlings when they had 3 sets of paired leaves plus the top sprout of the 4th node 3-4 times once a day.
More Nitrogen and less potassium is also thought to help in getting more of the fairer sex.
It is often said that between the 3rd and 4th weeks is the most crucial of time to getting more females.
Meaning any stress at this time will give you more males.
It is also said that blue light (metal halide) and Low temperatures and high humidity and keeping the medium moisture all favor more ladies.
I must say changing my style cause other problems that i haven't seen before.
For instance watering more frequently and 3-4 foliars of 5-1-1 fish emulsion caused my plants to grow amazingly fast but to much space between nodes for my tastes.
I also had 1 plant show me the claw of to much N.
So after only 37 days of veg they were at 28 inches and my space dictates that as the limit my plants can be before running out of room for the stretch.
Usually i can go into the high 40 or low 50 day count before i need to flip.
So after 2 days of 12/12 I believe that I found 11 ladies ,4 males with the rest undecided so far.
If I was to get 1 or 2 more girls I would consider this a success but in getting 11 is still sweet!
I still believe that chromosomes contributing its XX and XY is very much in play but thinking it is possible to increase the male / female ratios.
Just wanted to share this with my homies!!!
:tiphat:

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
I believe something more like XXXX, XXXY, XXYY, XYYY, or YYYY.
It may be possible to influence the middle three combinations.

I'm not sure I'd want to.
Cytokinin spray.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Interesting.

Since cannabis is (at heart) a hermaphroditic specie, my thoughts run to the breeding aspects. I would much prefer my females to be **all** female, if you know what I mean. I would rather get the lowest possible number of true females.

No idea what actually goes on, but this is my thinking so far. :)

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Less stress during veg will give you more solid females..

Epigenetics kicks in to make more male genetics in suboptimal conditions,, seen this 100s of times..

Cannabis also only went dioecious relatively recently.. like the last 100,000 years..

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen those instructions for finding/producing more females.
I wonder if the seedlings are being stressed from such practices in order to get more females?
Only testing can show the truth to the matter.

SO...

I'm fairly positive that XX & XY play the biggest role in sexual determination with hormonal changes playing a secondary role.
I'm positive that hermaphrodite plants will not test as male in a genetics test.

That said, if one were to use those sex test kits to the best of the tests ability...
One would test all males once they show sex in order to see if they truly are male.
Herms, given the chance, will reveal themselves and can be weeded from any future breeding program.

Latest posts

Latest posts