What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen hiting preflower?

Hey all,

Want to do some chucking. Got a vegetation tent where I keep all my backup clones and also a smaller tent beside that tent in which I want test my males now. The smaller tent got no active filter system, instead it is connected to the bigger one that sucks out the air of both.

So some of my backup females got nice preflowers.
I am worried, what will happened if I test my males and those females with their preflowers will be hit be all kinds of differen male pollen?

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pollin is heavy. If there's no solid air movement, it just drops to the ground. Circulating air in and out of the males room is not enough to get that pollin up and off the floor, you need direct fans to accomplish that. Your main problem will be pollin sticking to your clothes as you move from room to room.

Unless you're looking to make hundreds of seeds, the paintbrush method might be better than baptismal style. With a paintbrush, you can progeny test different males on different, individually labeled branches of select females. Determining which males really throw fire can give you a big leg up in your breeding project.

Thank you Mr. Greengenes for taking the time.

I am aware that the only method to measure a male is via progeny testing. However, the background is kind of complicated (got to move in the summer), so I will just use the two most promising looking males in separated tents. I know that I could have much better results if I would would give myself more time.

I really hope not to sound ungrateful, I am very thankful for pointing out and appreciate your answer.

With that being said, im still not sure if pollen might still get over through the other tent, since the tube is only 2meters long and the pressure from the tent with the clones still got enough pressure to a vacum on the male tent.

What would happen in theory if those pre flowers get hit by pollen?

If the result is unclear, might just cloning them with young clones not showing pre flowers might be an option?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I've let pollen fly in my tent with clones and moms in veg before and it's a good way of making small quantities of seed while leaving you sensi quality buds when they are eventually flowered.

Usually wind up with two nice seeds at the bottom of every bud that way.

Spray water inside the tent will kill off the stray pollen a couple days after and you are good.

Ha, I know that Nickname!

Been lurking as a passive reader at ICMAG awhile, a fine time in the Threads of your Sharings:dance013:.

Anyhow. Very interesting, those seds forming up when you go to 12/12 or when you are still under 18/6?
Really interesting way of having that ultra small amount of seeds.

So those pistils that get hit produce seeds and thats it?
Normal veg grow under 18/6, beeing able to take cuttings without any genetic change withing the plant?

Thank you guys. Really was afraid I would somehow screw up my cuttings.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your clones won't get any genetic changes from letting them develop a few seeds. Very early preflowers are hard to pollinate anyway. I know because I'm always trying to pollinate plants as early as possible. Like Chunkypigs (awsome nick btw!) said, the quality of seeds that are pollinated early is very good, probably because they get a nice long period of development. I would just not worry about it too much. Even if you get a few seeds on the clones, they'll still root and go back to veg fine.

I also utilize this method of early preflower pollination. Surely it's limiting, and size dependent in ratios of seed production. But I usually get around five to ten packs worth of seed when I do this with a decent sized female. I do prefer though to actually flower out the mother if possible shortly thereafter pollination. But I have also just kept these pollinated specimens in veg while the seeds developed. It's allowed for me to save money and time. And I will not hesitate to do so again and again when it is merited.