Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Soil > SOG (12/12 almost from seed), pots vs beds ?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
SOG (12/12 almost from seed), pots vs beds ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 AM #1
kersey

kersey is on a distinguished road
SOG (12/12 almost from seed), pots vs beds ?

Just started a grow, this is a "in between cycles" grow that's a little pressed for time. ~20 regular seeds popped in solo cups. Going to switch to 12/12 very soon, 1week veg tops.

4x4 tent, 600W HPS with a cooltube + a 1200W china LED.
Strain is a OGK F1 hybrid.
Growing in soil.

What do you guys think would be optimal, lots of smaller pots vs a few "beds" (storage bins) with ~5 plants in each one.

I usually run 3 or 5 gal pots with fewer sexed plants.

Obv it would be easier to move the plants around in individual pots, but I'm thinking that the beds offer more root space after I cut the males out.

Any input is highly appreciated!
kersey is offline Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 04:18 PM #2
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
Beds will provide more root space.

So long as the plants grow at a similar rate, issues should be minimal.
MJPassion is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:35 PM #3
Infinitelight5D

Infinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really nice
Beds vote from me.

I normally would do 3-7gallon pots to flower in, but recently used a 45gallon geopot "bed" to flower my 16 seedlings in, I did veg a couple weeks so no 12/12 but that shouldn't be much different.
I ended up with 8 females after cutting out males and a runt or two.

This is only under 250w of COB leds, I think these are the biggest plants I have had under that small of wattage. they would have been smaller in 5 gallons pots and no way would I be able to fit 8 let alone 16 in my small tent.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 PM #4
kersey

kersey is on a distinguished road
thats very impressive! how close where the seedlings to each other? No issues with root competition etc? is that even a thing....?
kersey is offline Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 PM #5
Lost in a SOG

Lost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud of
Competition is and isnt a thing.. they wont hurt each other and they can better fill the pot and eat their way through it..

If they eat through the nutes quicker it wont matter that much as the bud should still be excellent and clean smoking and you will get the most out of the space still..

You can get 10 gallon pots, i use square fabric ones and its effectively a bed, just easier to empty and fill and move around..
Lost in a SOG is online now Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM #6
Infinitelight5D

Infinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really niceInfinitelight5D is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey View Post
thats very impressive! how close where the seedlings to each other? No issues with root competition etc? is that even a thing....?
A few inches, 3-9". I haven't seen much competition between plants that much.

The most stout plants with genetics that you would expect to be small are still small. And likewise my Ace zamaldelica is being the sativa you expect.
But overall it was a fun experience and challenge. I'm trying 1-3 plants next.