What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

S1 Pheno hunting with Chem 91 Skunk VA

moss1310

So have a couple of packs of CSI Humboldt Chem 91 S1s. I’d like to run them to see if I can find a Skunk VA Pheno since there will be variation. What is the best way to do this? And since there will be variation, could the seeds potentially produce Chem D, Chem 4 phenos , etc?

Thanks

mack 10

Veteran
Run them and you'll know them.
Best is to grow as many as you can.
As it is selfed(S1)
They should all be Chem phenos.
Full fuel is 91 pheno
Acrid funk is the D Pheno
The Sis is more like the D then 91.

Have fun looking through them.

Last edited:

Cannavore

Veteran
The other chems are probably 91 hybrids (despite what the chem crew says) so i would have to say no on finding "D , 4, or Sis phenos"

clearheaded

why do you think they are hybrids of chem 91? I have zero idea so am honestly curious as always heard dif bag seeds? very well could be different stray pollen... not that it truly matters at the end of the day. thanks

PDX Dopesmoker

The other chems are probably 91 hybrids (despite what the chem crew says) so i would have to say no on finding "D , 4, or Sis phenos"

How is it that you've got the idea that the other Chems are hybrids of the 91 when its not even known if all the Chem seeds had the same father or mother?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is absolutely known, without any questions what so ever, that Chem '91, Chem D, and Chem 4 are ALL related. (not sure Sis or Chem 1-3 have ever been entered) Phylos pairs them perfectly as the story was told, ironically enough.

What is interesting, in that equation that does show perhaps a deviation from the stories and assumed facts, is the ECSD doesn't pair to the '91. It pairs to D and 4 but not '91.

Chem '91 is more fuel. Chem D is more GARLIC and dirty hashy sweat socks. Chem #4 is more lemon/limey. Chem Sis is sharper/more acidic skunk with hints of the earthy garlic far in the background.

The chems, for the most part, all breed very differently. Chem '91 s1 entries in Phylos from nspecta show the scope of how they cluster around the '91. They are not as close to the parent as you'd expect, so their is a good deal of variation in her still.

THE REAL TELL - for a Chem '91 pheno is the oddly dark, rubber looking leaves. It's sort of "her thing" that makes her stand out. Also, look for stems that are heavily zig-zagged between internodes.

Good luck, moss!

dank.Frank

Last edited:

clearheaded

what do u mean zig zagged at internodes? obv have a little bit of an idea just cant picture it. like when flowering how one side/node at a time and not 2 out the same spot on the stem like normal veg growth? just mature plants or just in flower does it more noticable? not a big deal just find it interesting, many small traits are never talked about ;) thanks!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Look at the meristem on each plant. One is Chem D. One is Chem Sis x NL. See the side to side zig zag of the growth at each internode? This can be expressed much more exaggerated depending on light heights, but, it is something I've always paid attention to when sorting Chem lines in general. That growth pattern is typical of heavily chem line dominant phenos. (this is not to say every plant that grows this way is a chem line, obviously.)

dank.Frank

moss1310

Thank for the great info and pics Dank.Frank. Great information to have for when I start growing the beans out and to know in general.

I also have some S1s from cannaventure of chem 91 x Chem D. In theory, should you get the same results as searching with the Chem 91 S1s? That is where I get confused.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nope. Not the same. You'll see similarities. I'd say, the D x will have larger yields and potentially make better hash. Chem D is one of the best FMCD plants ever.

dank.Frank

Cannavore

Veteran
yeah if anything from what i saw from nsepcta was 91 looking plants and more og ish looking ones. i have three going now and like 3 more packs in the stash and i plan on running through all of them eventually. same with his bubba s1

Ncali

Veteran
Running a couple of these ladies along with virgin purple and pure og. Hoping for some FMCD (either definition is fine by me):biggrin:

Following along and wishing you well.

NC

Chappi

Nute sensitivity

Nute sensitivity

I’m running six csihumboldt 91s1

They are known to be extremely nute sensitive. I’m running them in coco right now and will eventually put them in a flood system.

Out of the six plants 3/6 have burned tips after adding a super low dose of nutes.
My question is what does this say about the three that are burned? Are they more likely to be 91 leaning?

Apomixis

So have a couple of packs of CSI Humboldt Chem 91 S1s. I’d like to run them to see if I can find a Skunk VA Pheno since there will be variation. What is the best way to do this? And since there will be variation, could the seeds potentially produce Chem D, Chem 4 phenos , etc?

Thanks

I had the distinct privilege of trialing a large population of these selfed seeds, and based off my experiences I would say you can find a spectrum of phenotypic expressions that range from Sour Diesel, OG Kush, Chem D, to all points in between. The heterogeneity offers cultivators ample opportunities for making personalized selections. Although the bud is dominantly Chemdog, there is enough variation in the plants morphological traits to keep it interesting and the selection process challenging. For anyone who has not grown the CD91 or just loves Chemdog genetics (like myself), these seeds come highly recommended.

Confirmed, you will not find CD#4 expressions within these seeds.

I s1'd the 91 few years back and found some variation for sure. My favorites were the ones that reminded me of OG and a particular one that was 91 nugs on a OG type frame. There's some fire to be found in those beans for sure.

My favorite was the unexpected Afghani WLD phenotype that appeared in 11% of the offspring. Additionally, the phenotype with increased internodal stretching and horizontal branching (which resembled "Sour D" from early veg) resulted in consistently better yielding plants.

I’m running six csihumboldt 91s1

They are known to be extremely nute sensitive. I’m running them in coco right now and will eventually put them in a flood system.

Out of the six plants 3/6 have burned tips after adding a super low dose of nutes.
My question is what does this say about the three that are burned? Are they more likely to be 91 leaning?

Confirmed on the nutrient/light sensitivity! The CD91 clone has always performed best for me when receiving indirect light and in many ways her selfed offspring appear no different. Beyond this, I think Nspecta may be onto something when he hypothesized the CD91 may be an S1 itself...

-Kanza

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts