What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Run Off High - New Grower

R

Rab.C

Sup icmag i am a new grower growing in Dna Mills Coco with Cork.
and mills nutrients.i am 3 weeks into 12/12 and i decided to check
my run off after reading HGO'S Thread & Snydgrow's Thread..
well i fed my plants EC1.4 and 1 plants run off was EC1.6
But the other plants are showing run off at EC2.6
should i flush them ? sorry if its a daft question but i dont no
what i should do. but i am trying to learn Thanks for looking
here is a pic of the plants...

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's because you are building up salts inside the rootzone,, flush it hard once a week and you won't have a problem in future

R

Rab.C

It's because you are building up salts inside the rootzone,, flush it hard once a week and you won't have a problem in future

englishrick this dna mills coco has a high ec straight out the bag its
EC1.8 I Contacted em and both shops said dont worry about it as long as feed going in correct.i am switching too canna next run.but i will do a weekly flush cheers Rab

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do they do this,, why do they do this,,, i mean I amend coco,, but makin it runoff at that ec is weird,, its basically way stronger than soil,, and whats the npk ratio,, how is this meant to work,, it must be part of a funny "easy to use" program,,

personally,, I'm starting to lean towards using coco for rootball establishment,,, after years of rockwool and root riot,, i have finally decided to switch,, , you need an auxin heavy to cytokinin ratio to initiate root differentiation,, this ratio is how clonex works apart from iba as the active ingredient (rooting hormone) ,, later in the plants life you want a branching agent,, but in the early stages it's all in the roots,,,

a lightly ameded coco with a time release fert,, full of perlite and inoculated with nitrogen fixing michrorize (for clones) ,, i just can't think of anything better,, feed it some tea,, root stim,, rhizopon,, boom,,, then it's a different mix for flower,, you will need to adjust all the variables to initiate different stages of groth,, i guess its all in the hips bro,, bit of benificals and your off,, try to get the benificals working to make your food and brakedown the amendments in your medium,, the absorption is better with benificals producing it for you

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Definitely pre-rinse your coco until the runoff is a very low ppm. There is a lot of excellent advice on this in the coco forum, which includes some on pre-charging it at the same time, no?

R

Rab.C

i bought some biosys but shop said i can only use it in veg and ecothrive charge

R

Rab.C

Definitely pre-rinse your coco until the runoff is a very low ppm. There is a lot of excellent advice on this in the coco forum, which includes some on pre-charging it at the same time, no?

yes Douglas i will do this next time.my local hydro shop said i shouldnt
be testing run off. i rang mills about high EC the said dont worry as long
as its going right. i phoned mills for advise on there nutrients.guy said
i dont have an answer for you but i will ring you back.that was 2 days ago.tbh i might change to canna also there nutrients the EC jumps about.atb Rab.C

R

Rab.C

englishrick here is the nutrients i bought.

Chemical Composition

Phosphate (P2O5): 0% w/w

Potassium (K2O): 0.9% w/w

Boron (B): 0.2% w/w

Cupper (Cu): 0.2% w/w

Molybdenum (Mo): 0.1 % w/w

Zinc (Zn): 1.5% w/w

Silicon (Si): 0.8% w/w

Chemical Composition

Total Nitrogen (N): 5.2% w/w

Nitrate Nitrogen (N-NO3): 2.6% w/w

Ammonium Nitrogen (N-NH4): 2.6% w/w

Basis A&B Chemical Composition

Total Nitrogen (N): 3.5 % w/w

Potassium (K2O): 1.3 % w/w

Calcium (CaO): 5.1 % w/w

Iron (Fe): 0.042 % w/w

Chemical Composition

Total Nitrogen (N): 0.5% w/w

Phosphate (P2O5): 3.9% w/w

Potassium (K2O): 2.6% w/w

Chemical Composition

Phosphate (P2O5): 7.4%

Potassium (K2O): 6.6%

Boron (B): 0.0100%

Cupper (Cu): 0.0210%

Iron (Fe): 0.0480%

Manganese (Mn): 0.0160%

Molybdenum (Mo): 0.0010%

Zinc (Zn): 0.0080%

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
No chart shows up in the last pic. Also I don't see a pic in that first post either. If they are albums, make sure set to public. If they are publicly hosted photos, make sure the domain hosting them supports https. A lot of places screw up their TLS setup. I'll leave this up for posterity, but I see all pictures now. :tiphat:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Personally I suggest the canna aqua range,, fed on nft or coco,, brings out a good flavour,, but hay,, Milla pays the bills,,

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes Douglas i will do this next time.my local hydro shop said i shouldnt
be testing run off. i rang mills about high EC the said dont worry as long
as its going right. i phoned mills for advise on there nutrients.guy said
i dont have an answer for you but i will ring you back.that was 2 days ago.tbh i might change to canna also there nutrients the EC jumps about.atb Rab.C

Your are right to question this crap,, yeh bro,, he's right,, the coco fourm is some good shit

R

Rab.C

i was wanting too try canna aqua range after seeing flowery field use it too

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would just use the Canna range if I was going to go use coir. I never used to flush weekly as it was too much of a PITA. I just fed them low EC with additives hard for 6 weeks of flower & then flushed them the once & then faded them up on tap water.

I used to water a few times a day by hand or with timers & I would use 1/4 strength A&B 1ml per L and that would grow cuttings or mothers & full flower mode & would fade up & burn reasonably clean without the flushing.

I did occasionally feed high then low in peak growth points to wean them off with tap water from week 6 onwards.

Flushing or diluting can help against salt burn or nute stress but that don't always show up on beasters..

Don't worry about the EC changing as the plants are going to uptake what they need if you keep it low enough they will be happy using osmosis to get big quick.

Don't get to caught up in the testing this & that runoff unless there is a big issue time is better spent trimming or managing the canopy.

R

Rab.C

nice one Mate Dave i am taking all this info in. So my next grow should do a lot better
Atb Rab.C

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well the one getting 1.4 and giving out 1.6 is about right for mid-flower, when your feeding heavily. The one's running off at 2.6 are sat in a toxic environment though. Alarm bells should be keeping you awake at night. Keep sticking in that 1.4 until what comes out is in range. A typical differential for daily coco feeding is 20%. It's generally safer to run more to waste, narrowing the differential, but 20% is good commercially, where water costs money, and waste water processing costs even more.

On occasion, I miss the plants pass peak flower. So while 1.4 is still going in, the plants lower demand is leaving more food behind than the run-off quantity can remove. The EC may creep to 2.6 which is my upper alarm point. I never want it past 1.8 but it does pass this as it's how it tells me to drop the input level. 2.0 or 2.2 with the occasional 'oh shit' 2.6 upon seeing which, I will put 1.0 through them to get that 2.6 down to 1.6 again. It's simply quicker than flushing with 1.3 (my late flowering input, to get 1.4-1.5 runoff)

R

Rab.C

Hey englishrick they better pay the bills or i am switching too Canna.

i bet if i phone canna they will give me customer support and info on how to use there products Mills took my number 3 days ago i am still waiting for the call lol

last set of nutes i buy from them...

madalasatori

Veteran
Rick why do you use canna aqua instead of coco instead of their coco feed? I’m all about the flavour so if gives better flavour then I’m all ears ...

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Canna coco is a 2 part veg and bloom feed,, separation of bloom and flower feed give the ability to tailor your npk ratios,, i also find aqua has the best quality of things like red phosphorus too,, so I consider it the most versatile and best quality nutrition on the market (that I know of)